Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else notice that the decal for the tire pressure and maximum loading indicates 353 pounds? Based on that - I wouldn't be able to take some of my friends and family for a ride. Does anyone know if this compares to other roadsters?

vehicleloading

·
Registered
180 Posts
You know, I haven't noticed that before. That is interesting, I'm sure that isn't due to the tires though. It shouldn't be due to the chassis either... I mean it is a tough as nails chassis. And two average sized adult males (185lbs each) would be 370 lbs. They must had over-engineered the chassis to stand more weight though. Could this be an oversite?

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Wing and Rodeo!!! Info Needed!!!

Wing and Rodeo!!! Info Needed!!!
(or other owners of Miata or S2000 - first ones that came to mind)

Can you guys look at the tire placard for your cars (S2000 and MSM) and post the information from it in this thread?

IIRC, the base Miata is 340 lbs, the Honda S2000 is 400 lbs but I'll defer to the owners for actual info on placard.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
You're not putting all the load on one tire. Don't forget there's four of them. When you sit in the middle of the car the weight is then distributed to the chasis splitting more to the front or rear depending on where the seats are located off of the center point. So then all the weight is distributed across all four tires, not one.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
My 2000 Miata gives a load capacity of 1340 pounds. That's 335 per tire.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Since the car is approved for towing of 1000 pounds, which the S2K is not, that 353 must be per tire. The important # is GCW, gross cargo weight, which in raw form would be the combined weight rating of all four tires minus the dead weight of car with all fluids. As a worst case scenario the Honda Element, four passenger almost suv has total cargo of less than 900# which includes driver and passengers, no extra xapacity for belongings.

Max load per Goodyear is 1560 # per tire at 0 psi. That's 6240 less 2860 or 3380 # available load capacity not counting fluids, passengers and goods. Even a safety factor 50% would allow a GCW in the area of 1600#, more than enough for 2 people and 1.4 cu ft of lead.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Well damn. That's cutting it close with just my wife and I. That includes cargo too as the max weight...

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
2002 Miata
GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) 2,943 lb
Curb Weight 2387 lb

2,943-2,387= 556 lb for occupants and cargo

Somebody that has one of the owners manuals should be able to look up the GVWR for the Solstice.

·
Registered
218 Posts
353 lbs.? Ouch!

The manual doesn't give the GVWR, just refers you to the Certification Label on driver's door.

It does say no more than 61 lbs in the trunk though. Doubt you could fit 61 lbs in there anyway :lol:

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Wonder if there is room in the trunk for a bathroom scale...ya know...to weigh the passenger(s). :lol:

·
Registered
214 Posts
61 lbs. in the trunk. Looks like my wife will be traveling lighter!!!! :lol: :cool:
This car will not work for mafia hit men!!! ;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
this must be a mistake, what's going to happen to the car if two 200 lb men ride in it? GM would have public relations disaster on their hands if something started to fail in the car because two full sized men rode in it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Me and my wife hit about 330 lbs combined. That leaves 23 lbs for carga, which isn't too bad since the trunks not that big, and it's not like I'll be hauling concrete in the trunk too. But what if my good friend wants to ride with me, our combined weights are 450 lbs?

This might have something to do with these being pre-production cars, but I'm not going to hold my breath. :(

·
Registered
114 Posts
what do you mean, "hold your breath"? what are you going to do if this number is legitimate? not buy the car? or just ignore it. I can't believe something on this car is going to fail with a 400 lb load. how about a few extra PSIs in the tires, would that up the weight number?

·
Registered
391 Posts
My 72 240Z was only rated for 500pounds.
I dont plan on over loading my Kappa. Infact how could I with no trunk? My wife and I together may be about 360?

·
4,592 Posts
LBJay said:
2002 Miata
2,943-2,387= 556 lb for occupants and cargo
Interesting thread! I didn't realize the weight restraints were so tight for the roadsters, especially restrictive for the Sol!

And we thought the height issue was a big deal for the tal guys, it seems a larger (pun intended) issue has presented itself.

Can anyone suggest what would happen if two 220lb guys took a long road trip in a Sol????

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
RODEO said:
Interesting thread! I didn't realize the weight restraints were so tight for the roadsters, especially restrictive for the Sol!

And we thought the height issue was a big deal for the tal guys, it seems a larger (pun intended) issue has presented itself.

Can anyone suggest what would happen if two 220lb guys took a long road trip in a Sol????
Rodeo - please look at your placard and tell us what it says...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Will have to install a warning sign on the passenger door: "NO ONE OVER 175LBS ALLOWED". :lol:

·
Premium Member
554 Posts
Maybe have to look at some better tires

1 - 20 of 47 Posts