Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple trips planned for the next couple weeks to get my fill before the winter. So far I have 135 miles on it and the car is beyond my and my wife's expectations. I told her she might have to get her own!

The only thing I can see as far as imperfections is that there are a couple flaws in the paint where some one over rubbed probably trying to ger a spot out and it left a circle with a dull ring around them. Probably rubbed through the clear coat. There are a few paint chips along the rear of the right fender where it was chipped while adjusting the fender and there was a lot of overspray on the hood and I can't get it all off. It was heavy enough on the windows to see the color in the overspray and had to use the clay bar and a lot of rubbing to get it off. Over all the paint looks very good and probably no one but me will notice the imperfections.

I have no complaints about the design and function or build quality of the car.

Thanks Wilmington plant workers for a job well done.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,210 Posts
Good to hear ateam, glad you are finally enjoying your car :thumbs:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,475 Posts
Congratulations, I am glad you are very satisfied with the car, the waiting sure had you on pins and needles, but it looks like it was all worthwhile, enjoy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mceb said:
Good to hear ateam, glad you are finally enjoying your car :thumbs:
Thanks I sure do hope you get yours soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
245 Posts
seeing good customer reviews of this car will hopefully make it worth the wait for this car that has caused so much tension and confusion with so many of us.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
glad to see you full of smiles! dumb q: what's a clay bar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
todd_raleigh said:
glad to see you full of smiles! dumb q: what's a clay bar?

What he said. It will make your paint very slick by removing all the contaminates and increase the shine.

Dont know if you saw but I congradulated you in another thread on your vin#. Looks like you are going to get your car much sooner than you thought. You must know some one on the inside!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,475 Posts
Congratulations!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,729 Posts
...a job well done?

ateam_77 said:
The only thing I can see as far as imperfections is that there are a couple flaws in the paint where some one over rubbed probably trying to ger a spot out and it left a circle with a dull ring around them. Probably rubbed through the clear coat. There are a few paint chips along the rear of the right fender where it was chipped while adjusting the fender and there was a lot of overspray on the hood and I can't get it all off. It was heavy enough on the windows to see the color in the overspray and had to use the clay bar and a lot of rubbing to get it off. Over all the paint looks very good and probably no one but me will notice the imperfections.
Thanks Wilmington plant workers for a job well done.
I have purchased about 6 new cars over the years. None of them came with the flaws you describe: paint chips, overspray on the windows, rubbed off clearcoat. Doesn't sound like a job well done to me. Hope mine arrives in better shape than that.
:cool:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
Congratulations!!! The ride is great and keeps getting better. You won't believe how much better the car runs after you have a few hundred miles on it. Enjoy the ride! :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,487 Posts
RichSol said:
I have purchased about 6 new cars over the years. None of them came with the flaws you describe: paint chips, overspray on the windows, rubbed off clearcoat. Doesn't sound like a job well done to me. Hope mine arrives in better shape than that.
:cool:
Yeah ... that sounds highly suspect to me. It almost makes me wonder if it was repainted somewhere along the line due to some kind of damage. A brand new car should never have overspray because the parts are painted before the car is assembled and windows would never end up in the paint booth. Also, sanding out drips in the paint with extremely fine sandpaper that often happens in aftermarket paint jobs would explain small dull spots. I dunno, but I'd really look hard for more clues about something like that and possibly confront the dealer to see if they have an explanation.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,509 Posts
I agree. If my brand new car showed up at the dealer with paint overspray on the windshield, I sure as hell would want an expansion as to why. I would be absolutely furious and I sure wouldn't be claybaring it off myself.

BMW got in deep trouble a few years back for selling repair painted cars as new.

If GM delivered the car to the dealer that way, they've got some explaining to do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cuss:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
RichSol said:
I have purchased about 6 new cars over the years. None of them came with the flaws you describe: paint chips, overspray on the windows, rubbed off clearcoat. Doesn't sound like a job well done to me. Hope mine arrives in better shape than that.
:cool:
I am a little concerned that as the paint ages the spots may become more noticable but the last thing I want right now is some one trying to do touch up. I will live with it for now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
936 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SlySol said:
Yeah ... that sounds highly suspect to me. It almost makes me wonder if it was repainted somewhere along the line due to some kind of damage. A brand new car should never have overspray because the parts are painted before the car is assembled and windows would never end up in the paint booth. Also, sanding out drips in the paint with extremely fine sandpaper that often happens in aftermarket paint jobs would explain small dull spots. I dunno, but I'd really look hard for more clues about something like that and possibly confront the dealer to see if they have an explanation.
I was at the dealer before the car was even washed and can say that nothing was done to the car at the dealership. The car has obviously had to had some rework at the factory. There was a place on the lower portion of the windshield where you could tell it was taped off and spray went over the taped section. Had to use a razor blade to get the overspray off that section. I would rather it hadn't been that way but it is and I am not going to stress over it. The only alternative would be to insist on a repaint and that is the last thing I want.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top