Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a fellow member that has a high quality 3D printer.
I received the 3D file that my 3D Coupe model was made. We can negotiate your fair share for printing and I will paint and detail per customers request.
This is my 3D printed model.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
that model has had a LOT of work done to it. filament printed parts are made up of distinct layers that remain visible post printing.

·
Administrator
11,665 Posts
I am curious about why you are specifying Nylon 12 for a static display model.

Have you contacted one of the print-on-demand suppliers?

·
Administrator
11,665 Posts
Was easy to sand and prep for painting
I suspect that there are other materials that would give you easy finishing but at lower cost.

Assuming my printer can handle the print size, I would be happy to do a couple of test prints for the cost of filament and postage.

·
Premium Member
18,741 Posts
ABS comes in carbon fiber. It has the fibers entrained in the filament. I have printed with it and while it does not look like a woven part, it does resemble a wound filament part in CF. But not if you try to smooth the surface with acetone. Then it just looks black.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
523 Posts
I am looking for a fellow member that has a high quality 3D printer.
I received the 3D file that my 3D Coupe model was made. We can negotiate your fair share for printing and I will paint and detail per customers request.
This is my 3D printed model.
Stool,

Can your model file be copied and modified to print only the coupe roof section, sized for 1:24? If adjusted accurately, it should fit on the 1/24 Maisto Solstice Roadster. No need to print the entire vehicle or shell, = much more affordable.

I bet many coupe openers here (ahem) would pony up cash for a paintable, drop-on roof. The Maisto version can be found on various auction sites.

Very interested, if so. LMK!

JohnWR,

If ^^that’s^^ doable I’d consider 1.) funding a test run and 2.) donating my time to work thru fitment testing on my 1/24 Maisto model. The base of the roof replaces the deck lid. The front of the roof fits on the windshield. See attachment, below. LMK!

Wicked owners,

I don’t think Maisto produced a Wicked/Merlot/Ruby version. 😢 Try buying a silver version and paint it with Tamiya Color TS-39 Mica Red. Here’s a couple of test shots (for color, not finish), first under halogen light…

Tints and shades Automotive design Carmine Fashion accessory Metal

…then in indirect sun:

Petal Tints and shades Magenta Rectangle Electric blue

Also: Testor’s Enamel 1607 Gloss Custom Hot Rod Red, over Maisto’s silver, is still a pretty good match; but it shades differently as it is semi-transparent. My eyes prefer the Tamiya.

What say you, coupe-owners? Who’d pony up gas money to get a drop-on roof in 1/24?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 37 Posts