Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
11,621 Posts
Stool,

Can your model file be copied and modified to print only the coupe roof section, sized for 1:24? If adjusted accurately, it should fit on the 1/24 Maisto Solstice Roadster. No need to print the entire vehicle or shell, = much more affordable.

I bet many coupe openers here (ahem) would pony up cash for a paintable, drop-on roof. The Maisto version can be found on various auction sites.

Very interested, if so. LMK!

JohnWR,

If ^^that’s^^ doable I’d consider 1.) funding a test run and 2.) donating my time to work thru fitment testing on my 1/24 Maisto model. The base of the roof replaces the deck lid. The front of the roof fits on the windshield. See attachment, below. LMK!

Wicked owners,

I don’t think Maisto produced a Wicked/Merlot/Ruby version. 😢 Try buying a silver version and paint it with Tamiya Color TS-39 Mica Red. Here’s a couple of test shots (for color, not finish), first under halogen light…

…then in indirect sun:

Also: Testor’s Enamel 1607 Gloss Custom Hot Rod Red, over Maisto’s silver, is still a pretty good match; but it shades differently as it is semi-transparent. My eyes prefer the Tamiya.

What say you, coupe-owners? Who’d pony up gas money to get a drop-on roof in 1/24?
If @Stool follows-up on this, and is agreeable, we can explore it. Even if the model is not currently set up to print portions it would be possible to create a sub-set of it that includes only the coupe top.

Reactions: MFA

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
520 Posts
Or if anyone <~100mi. From Pgh. has a good full-size hand scanner, I’ll drive there & we can scan just the roof. Or: I’m near the I-76/I-79 crossing; stop by.

P.S. For you HO-scale fans, a 3D top-up GXP roadster in 1:87! [Not my work, not a shill, etc.]

·
Registered
7,890 Posts

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Yes, and then thin it to spray via airbrush—but it still won’t look right, because the ‘metalflake‘ sparkle will be WAY too big, at least on anything smaller than 1:4 scale.

Hobby rattlecans aren’t ideal, but the flake is made much smaller so it looks less odd. Plus, we should make this something folks on here can do themselves without buying tools and learning new skills.

Here’s a shot of the model deck on the real hood, which I think I’d call a no-fuss match.

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior Bag

Reactions: TomatoSoup

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Deal—let’s do the 1:18 Coupe roof. You in?

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
Changing scale should be relatively easy.
Yes, once the basic wireframe’s done, the trick is getting the fit correct to the model, as I’m sure Maisto took liberties with their 1:18 and 1:24 scaling.

I have a 1:18 IMaisto Solstice that can measure from fairly precisely, if that helps.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Is that the 1/64 scale model?
Yes it is, It scales pretty good at the STL level. My slicer is Simplify 3D, I just threw the model in and scaled it 300% to see what it would look like. Would have to do a few calculations to get it to 1/18 scale. My print bed is 500x500 mm so I think it would fit pretty easy. I will probably edit the wing off the back and print the wheels separately so I can add more detail. The Thingiverse license does not allow me to print and sell so I am just doing it as a fun project.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts