Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 320 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a tool on thingverse that provides creating text in many fonts and then printing in 3D. Called "Text". Uses an online tool to generate the object model which then is imported to your tool for sizing and printing. Am running some test prints now. It looks very good and easy to use

·
Registered
39 Posts
Very cool. A couple of years ago I was gung ho to get started with a 3D printer and held off...

It would be awesome to see availability of some interior Solstice parts in a few years.

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Printing minions for my friends and some illuminated logos for fun

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just for fun did a 1911. Was surprised to see that it even has the engraving on the slide.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Made use of the lettering tool

Attachments

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Good - but I'm not sure about the 'random' edged backing layer. Can that tool be adjusted to give a squared backing (either outside the letters or just large enough to tie the letters together)?

E.g. I just did some quick examples in OpenSCAD. Excuse the Arial font, not sure which font you were using:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The letters peal off the raft. But in smaller fonts it is a pain in the butt to install them. I made 1.5 inch tall letters and they will be installed on the back window of the truck with no raft or background.

I actually like the look with the rough background for the Punisher sign very much.

Go here and open the customizer. It allows you to choose the font you want and type in words and phrases. You can size it when you create the object file. Then I import it into the slicer and print. It can be from very small to the max size of the printer.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:753477

With or without support

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here are pictures of the print described above.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You can go on thingverse. Design your letters and download the object file then either have it printed by an online service or find someone who will print it for you

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
I'm thinking I need to buy new letters for the hood liner. What I have were laser cut in wood and they just aren't holding up.
You can go on thingverse. Design your letters and download the object file then either have it printed by an online service or find someone who will print it for you
Problem is, that tool won't have the "Solstice" (GM) font. Not sure if anyone does (?)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
Hmm. I also know a guy who has an vector EPS image file of the logo, but he doesn't have a CAD model of it (and he also doesn't know if it's scaled ratio-wise to fit in the hood liner).

However, I've discussed it with him and he's willing to send you the vector file if you wish to go that route.

;)

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
OK, so after this little discussion, I got looking into converting this stuff for 3D printing.

Now as some of you know, I've been using the free/open program OpenSCAD as a tool to design 3D objects for printing. In a similar vein I had previously used the free/open program InkScape to convert graphics files (JPG, GIF, PNG, etc) into vector-format files for vinyl cutting.

So I'd been trying to import the vector files that InkScape produces, into OpenSCAD to generate a 3D STL file for printing and hitting a number of problems (note, you can surface .JPG files in OpenSCAD, but then you hit the issues of rough edges from pixellation). So while investigating these issues on the ol' interwebs, Lo and Behold, I found there's an add-on/extension for InkScape in thingiverse that allows you to convert a vector outline to an extruded OpenSCAD file! (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:25036)

This means that not only can we solve @chickenwire 's problem, but you can print a nice 3D version of any graphic (or combination of graphics) for displays, car emblems, etc. (The Sol/Sky silhouettes come to mind).

As an example, below are screenshots from OpenSCAD of a meter-wide (5mm high) version of the Solstice script logo, along with a close-up of an "S" to see the smoothness of the edges. These can be easily scaled down, or up even further, ratio-changed etc. Now, it is a bit of a convoluted, multi stage process to get here, but at least it's doable:

1. InkScape: open graphic; convert to vector, resize as reqd; convert to OpenSCAD file.
2. OpenSCAD: open file from 1.; render; save as STL.
3. Cura (or similar) slice and render to GCode file
4. Print on 3d printer. Iterate back to 1.

Ahhh, what fun!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 320 Posts