Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

301 - 320 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I haven't been active on this board in a long time, but I've been seeing the posts on Facebook that Rob has shared. Decided I needed to come over and go through the 20 pages (wow!) of work here.

NICE JOB EVERYONE!

I've been 3D scanning parts at work and having someone here clean them up in CAD, but I've been focusing on metal parts which were cast and designing them to be made in steel weldments. So far I've concentrated on the various rear differential adapters, in the hopes of providing parts that someone could have a local shop cut and weld up for them, and allow easier swapping of the cheap Cadillac diffs since the Kappa ones are getting harder to find and far more expensive. I'm loving the work you are all doing in plastic for the various bits to this point.

I have a graphics file (vector format) which is a logo I had a friend of mine create for my V8 swapped car and my autocross racing. I'd like to use a portion of this graphic as an emblem on the back of the car. Is it possible to provide this file to one of you and get back something that could be printed? I know TS posted some simple instructions (here), but I just don't have that ability being on a Chromebook.

I'd prefer not to just post up the vector image file, because at this point I'm wary of others using it as it's branding for my Facebook page / Instagram / etc. Is anyone willing / able to convert this file (eps or svg) into something I could have printed? I have access to print files, just not the ability to convert this over to 3D and generate the Gcode.

Appreciate any help someone can provide!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Can't guarantee I can remember all the details myself, but maybe I can give it a go. PM'ing you my email and you can send me the file.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
OK, I converted it to an STL file that any printer software should be able to use.

I could use Cura to convert that STL to GCode too, but that is so dependent on how big you want it and the individual settings for the printer being used (nozzle size, layer depth, etc, etc.) that it would probably be wasted.

Anyway, take a look and tell me what you think... see if you want it thicker/whatever.

Sent the STL to your email, but here's a quick (partial) look from a screenshot in Cura:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Thanks so much TS!

Preview looks good. I still have a few things I'm trying to do with this graphic, so until I can figure all of that out I'm not even sure how I want this done. The line of SOLSTICE text I was thinking of printing as a new badge for the rear of the car, or I might add the text along the hood / fender line. Part of my indecision is not knowing what it looks like once it's printed.

Now I can get started, thanks again!

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
I am happy to print it for you if you want. I can resize it and print it face down to get a nice gloss finish
Thanks for the offer... I'm going to try to print it at work, we have many different materials, and machines that I can use. We start everything in 3D, and nobody around my area had an easy way they knew of to convert a vector graphic into 3D. From here I get it exported over to one of our machines and see what the result looks like. If my plan of using work doesn't go... I might be asking in the future!

·
Registered
39 Posts
How's the flap printing going Rob? Very interested in pass side but could probably use driver's side too. I'm open to trying some flame polishing to smooth off the surface, unless you already have that figured out. Thanks for all your work on this! Please let me know how much. Thanks, Mike

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #313
The flap does not print on my string printer because of the compound shape. On my list of things to do is have my printer guy print one using his more expensive machine that pulls it out of a vat of material.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #314
New project - silver anniversary pontiac logo

I was gifted a silver anniversary pin by a good friend. It is on the front of a leather card holder. I am going to get it scanned and start printing some. They should come out very nicely but want to run some tests to make sure. I will try and convince my printer to make them available in higher quality prints for those who want one. Since its all software, you can change the size to fit your needs.

I am going to also ask them to make me one for the golden anniversary. 1926 to 1976. Just for fun. And maybe one that says 1926 on the top and 2010 on the bottom.

I will keep you updated.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,045 Posts
The flap does not print on my string printer because of the compound shape. On my list of things to do is have my printer guy print one using his more expensive machine that pulls it out of a vat of material.
I don't think any rapid system is going to print that flap without a lot of support gusseting on it. Will likely need to bump up the wall thickness to allow removal of the supports and final sanding/finishing of the flap.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #316
I have the file for the 25th anniversary badge. Will try to get some test prints this month.

CW I did not get the package yet?

·
Registered
6,947 Posts
I already posted this to the Skyroadster forum but figured I'd post it here too.

Someone posted a link to a file for a 3D custom trim piece in the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky Classifieds section. Cost is $5 to download, plus you need a 3D printer.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #318
New project - silver anniversary pontiac logo

I was gifted a silver anniversary pin by a good friend. It is on the front of a leather card holder. I am going to get it scanned and start printing some. They should come out very nicely but want to run some tests to make sure. I will try and convince my printer to make them available in higher quality prints for those who want one. Since its all software, you can change the size to fit your needs.

I am going to also ask them to make me one for the golden anniversary. 1926 to 1976. Just for fun. And maybe one that says 1926 on the top and 2010 on the bottom.

I will keep you updated.
I got the file back from my guy . . . I did a couple of test prints yesterday. Turned out well at 3 inch diameter. Will get some pictures. Makes a nice wall plaque.

·
Registered
427 Posts
while you guys are having fun with this stuff way above my current state of thinking... print up some exhaust outlets for the base guys that want duel ex but not have to but a new rear valance!!! and when your done with that!!! print up some thingys to go around the base foglights/turn signals on the base cars to look closer to the gxp nose!!! then...I have a few then!!! a filter spacer to space the air filter up in the filter housing/ box so it isant so close to the bottom half...well make 2 one the raises the filter and one that raises the lid higher above the filter( I think the raising of the filter needs to be done more than the top but the top will also help flow. then make a nuce horn that can be added to the oe air box for more fresh air breathing!!( the right side "muffler chamber" has a divider wall that can be cut out of the filter aera for more breathing, but a added inlet is needed up forward in that chamber. other manufactures make taller lids for the performance v8 stuff to keep the oe boxes. ours will also benefit from better air box flowing. I will keep my box but have cai 3" tubing going to it from the TB for better flow.( no big muffler, no motocross track for the incoming air through the bellows tubing... there I think that could keep you guys bussy for a bit....the wife already said no on me getting a printer.....go figure.

·
Registered
427 Posts
on another note...has any body noticed how much the Corvette's are looking more like over grown skys than corvettes!!! the sky vs solstice was hard for my to decide when I got mine... solstice won out as it;s very close to my 356 look. you could print up some skyvett emblems too!!!:eek: just messen.

301 - 320 of 320 Posts