16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
working a complex print using water soluble support material

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Got a few of the Sky plaques printed. Painted one for a friend. Turned out pretty well.:grin:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
still printing plaques in colors

Attachments

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
Hey, here's an idea... remember those roof-open/close rub protection pads that a certain person ran a production of?

I wonder if they would work OK if 3D printed in nylon? Might they be too rough or not strong enough?

If I can fine my spare set (doh!) I could (maybe) make a print file using OpenScad, if it's worth the trouble.

·
Premium Member
1,744 Posts
Well, it's not a 3D printer, but in typical I-do-it-the-hard-way fashion:

(Warning: I'd turn the sound down before playing this.)

(Pardon the mess. With four kids, I can either clean, or make stuff. Though the mess has, I think, reached critical mass.)

If I had specs for the entire cup holder assembly, not just the part that breaks - apparently, the previous owner just took the whole thing out and tossed it - I'd make one. The plan is to make foam plugs for the hard top I have in mind, using the rubber and misc. trim bits from my old convertible top. The whole thing won't fit in the ~4' square cutting area, but I can cut in sections and include tabs to get the individual parts aligned.

Or I might go buy 3D printer and try and keep up with @Robtheelder.

The Corvette logo worked out better, but it's in MDF and pretty much 2D. The raised sections on the Pontiac logo are a little more challenging.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
At SEMA today I met a manufacturer who makes illuminated plastic parts. He makes the RAM tail gate badges that light up RED with headlights and brake lights. I bought mine from Etrailer who buys them from a third party from this manufacturer.

He also makes wheel center caps that remain stationary (floating) when the car is driven and light up using self generated power via LEDs. He said he can make "plain" clear wheel centers that will fit our wheels. We can then make them any color we want using a color wash or film and I can print in clear any logo, text or shape that we want and mount them to the floating wheel center.

I am excited.

61 - 80 of 320 Posts