Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 320 Posts

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Did you ever get the coupe file done? I want to print a few plaques for people.>:)
I've been thinking about this the last few days. Damned job keeps getting in the way. Will try to get it done in the next day or two. (I'm working in CAD on a coupled of other projects right now anyway!)

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
As promised CW the master of all provided the file and I printed a couple of test prints of the coupe plaque. Looks great. Now offering them for sale !

Let me know what color.

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
Here you go. Raw right out of the printer. You did a good job Sir! When primed and painted it looks like injection molded. I like them raw though so I can add lights that blink, flash and scream.

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,392 Posts
Here you go. Raw right out of the printer. You did a good job Sir! When primed and painted it looks like injection molded. I like them raw though so I can add lights that blink, flash and scream.
Rob,

That looks pretty good! Do you want to bring the files with you or email them to us and we can have our 3D printer running full time at nationals printing out goodies for people. We are going to be stocking up on different color PLA to bring with us for the Solstice pieces already.

Dave

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I am bringing a laptop with files I can share.

Do you have a scanner? There are a number of small parts that we want to print but done have a scanner that functions yet. The fender guides for example. Or the engine caps. Buttress plugs etc.

·
Vendor
1,392 Posts

Do you have a scanner? There are a number of small parts that we want to print but done have a scanner that functions yet. The fender guides for example. Or the engine caps. Buttress plugs etc.
We do not have a scanner that we can bring with us.

·
Registered
5,049 Posts

If the geometry is not outrageous I may be able to create in solids (CAD).

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Its the two shaped rubber bumpers. Not the cylindrical ones. See picture. The front one in the pic is correct. The rear one is incorrect but if you check your fenders you will find at least one that is good. We need two per fender.

If you can generate the object I can print in material that is flexible and should be a good replacement.

Public service for all!

Attachments

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Fine. I have to go take the cover off of the Solstice and rip a couple pieces out tonight . . .

Shouldn't be a problem to model them but I question durability after multiple flexes. Can't hurt to try though!

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Both of mine are solid (on the driver's side anyway - I didn't think to check the passenger side) and both appear to be identical. When you said "front" I assume you meant front of vehicle and it should be a hollowed out profile?

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
the two inner ones are identical. Those are the ones we need to reproduce. I don't think they have to be hallow. The PTE filament is flexible and feels the same as the rubber ones.

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
Got them!

Great job. Will do some test prints to validate that the PTE works for this application

Thanks Sir :cheers::party:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Did a test print. The object is very good. Nice work CW. I'm going to rotate it to print laying on its side and make one out of nylon. Then do a test fit.

·
Super Moderator
16,066 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Did a test print. CW did a GREAT job. Its a perfect match.

I printed it vertically and it wants to be printed rotated on its side. Its full fill side to side so no issues with support while printing.

The black one in the pictures is the factory bumper I pulled from the car to compare with the blue printed bumper.

The black factory bumper is VERY dense / hard rubber. It deforms very little under load. I am thinking that using nylon filament is going to be very close to the same hardness. I have white, black and RED nylon filament so I will do the next print with the red nylon.

thanks again to CW.

Once I have the proof done and am satisfied with its functionality I will make them available to anyone who needs one. Or you can print your own.>:)

Attachments

81 - 100 of 320 Posts