Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has tried this stuff ? It's a DIY clear coat that they sell at auto parts stores.They claim it protects against rock chips and you can peel it off if you want to .Also any members planning on going to the Woodward Dream Cruise or Back To The Bricks in Flint? Me and the misses have been going up the last couple of years and we really enjoy it .Hopefully my turbo installation will be done and my foot healed enough so I can drive

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
Been a coupla threads on this recently (youse late to the party :))

I have tried it and posted on my experience on the KP forum: Spray-on clearbra

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I read a lot of poor reviews on this stuff via a professional auto detailer. He said it goes on fine, but removing it when it has been on for any length of time is the most frustrating thing ever. It doesn't peel off like plastidip. It comes off in tiny pieces and is stuck tight. I was pretty bummed to hear this, but I do trust their advice.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Good to know. Hard-to-remove isn't a problem if I keep the car forever...unless it turns cloudy with time.

·
Registered
7,226 Posts
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f47/diy-spray-clearbra-film-75160/

It appears to be basically akin to clear cling wrap tensile-wise and only recommended to be used for a year. Whereas VentureShield is an optically clear, thermoplastic urethane film made from 100% aliphatic resin, last for years, however...cost several hundred dollars.

Point being; Venture Shield is an investment and Paint Defender is a value alternative.

I look at rock chips as badges of honor. ;)

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have had my 06 protected with VentureShield since it was delivered in Feb 2006 and I have ZERO rock chips or other damage to the paint on my car. After 5 years I had the film removed and replaced with new film. It is good to go for another 5 years. The film came off easily and the paint was perfect under it. No discoloration or any other problems. Worth the price.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
I read a lot of poor reviews on this stuff via a professional auto detailer. He said it goes on fine, but removing it when it has been on for any length of time is the most frustrating thing ever. It doesn't peel off like plastidip. It comes off in tiny pieces and is stuck tight. I was pretty bummed to hear this, but I do trust their advice.
Maybe that was because the installer didnt apply the wax that comes with it beforehand. That wax leaves the surface really slick and I'm sure the film will come off pretty easily with that stuff underneath. Like I said in my post, I made the mistake of applying the wax before masking, and I couldn't get either masking tape or blue tape to stick down!

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So a pro detailer is going to say that this stuff is not the best otherwise he would be cutting his own throat.Bottom line all I care about is what's good for my car if it costs a couple of hundred bucks who cares I run a bra as I have with most of my cars because of stone chips if I can get something that protects and I don't have to run a black bra then I'm all for it!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts