Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend, I had an emergency situation on a LA freeway where I was able to avoid a massive accident thanks to my Subaru WRX 4 wheel drive system and handling capabilities....
I was wondering today if I would still be around had I been in a small 2wd convertible instead...
AG

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Probably not. Had James Dean been driving a WRX, he might still be around today! You should hang on to your Impreza so there's one less person on our side of the supply/demand equation when it comes time for dealers to start gouging over MSRP based on consumer demand. :lol

OK, seriously that would depend on the situation. Good to hear you came out OK.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright.

Question to all, does 4-wheel drive improve handling that much? I always assume it's a traction thing. Many 2 wheel drive sports cars have great handling.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
mceb said:
Glad to hear you are alright.

Question to all, does 4-wheel drive improve handling that much? I always assume it's a traction thing. Many 2 wheel drive sports cars have great handling.
That really depends on the situation. The biggest impact on how well a car performs is the quality of the loose nut behind the steering wheel. If you freeze up, don't remember how to countersteer, or demand too much from your tires, you're far less likely to avoid an accident. If, on the other hand, you drive within your limits and know the capabilities of your vehicle, you're far more safe.

As for 2WD vs 4WD/AWD, I'm in the RWD camp, unless there's snow or I'm on gravel, etc. If there's any handling advantage to driving all 4 wheels (and I'm not saying there is), it is negated by the horsepower-robbing extra rotating mass and friction generated in the drivetrain. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"The biggest impact on how well a car performs is the quality of the loose nut behind the steering wheel. "

I'll take that as a compliment 2KWK4U ;)
Don't worry, I will be getting a Solstice anyway :)

·
Registered
281 Posts
2KWK4U said:
That really depends on the situation. The biggest impact on how well a car performs is the quality of the loose nut behind the steering wheel. If you freeze up, don't remember how to countersteer, or demand too much from your tires, you're far less likely to avoid an accident. If, on the other hand, you drive within your limits and know the capabilities of your vehicle, you're far more safe.

As for 2WD vs 4WD/AWD, I'm in the RWD camp, unless there's snow or I'm on gravel, etc. If there's any handling advantage to driving all 4 wheels (and I'm not saying there is), it is negated by the horsepower-robbing extra rotating mass and friction generated in the drivetrain. But that's just my opinion.
wasnt audi banned from using its quattro system in the european sport sedan racing series because it gave them such a huge advantage?

·
Registered
151 Posts
i always though AWD has nothing to do with handling besides traction because your power is divided between 4 wheels instead of two. handling is your suspension and dimensions of the car. you can attribute better handling to traction, but not directly to AWD.

i have to say give me RWD all day, more fun if you ask me

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
flatovercrest said:
Last weekend, I had an emergency situation on a LA freeway where I was able to avoid a massive accident thanks to my Subaru WRX 4 wheel drive system and handling capabilities....
I was wondering today if I would still be around had I been in a small 2wd convertible instead...
AG
I don't know the details, but considering you were on a freeway, I would say that it was your driving skills that saved you and not AWD. Driving a small convertable may be an increased risk, but if you were affraid of risks, you would be driving an AWD Volvo. Life's to short to ponder how long it's going to be. :cheers

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Bizz said:
wasnt audi banned from using its quattro system in the european sport sedan racing series because it gave them such a huge advantage?
Yes, you've got me there. Early Quattros were in fact banned from rally racing (mostly off-road racing) in Europe in the mid 80's. More recently, in 1995, Audi was barred from campaigning their S4 in the British Touring Car Championships. There are actually several other examples of Audi quattro cars dominating racing series (mostly over FWD competition) and consequently being banned or forced to adhere to loftier minimum weights.

But Quattro is "special." Just ask any Audi fan, they'll tell ya! :wink

They use torsen-type limited slip units at every differential for one. Ever price a Quaiffe for your GTP?

·
Registered
281 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Yes, you've got me there. Early Quattros were in fact banned from rally racing (mostly off-road racing) in Europe in the mid 80's. More recently, in 1995, Audi was barred from campaigning their S4 in the British Touring Car Championships. There are actually several other examples of Audi quattro cars dominating racing series (mostly over FWD competition) and consequently being banned or forced to adhere to loftier minimum weights.

But Quattro is "special." Just ask any Audi fan, they'll tell ya! :wink

They use torsen-type limited slip units at every differential for one. Ever price a Quaiffe for your GTP?
paid 100bux less cuz i pre-ordered. :cheers

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Four wheel drive improves handling on dry roads when you have so much power available that you can break the wheels loose at will, be it FWD or RWD. Picture a car with so much power, it's like driving on a wet or dirt road even when it's dry pavement. On cars with huge torque available, like modified race cars, high dollar Porches and WRX's, the extra pulling traction when exiting a corner offsets the extra weight of 4WD. Although it doesn't improve the sideways G's you can handle when driving around the corner (actually the extra weight works against it), it can significantly improve your track times by being able to get back on the power earlier and harder than with 2WD.

And it helps when you hit that unexpected puddle when flying out of a blind curve, like when the guy you're racing throws his Big Gulp at you!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts