Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the pre-into hype and current lit mentions a near perfect 50/50 weight bias. However the Motor Trend head to head test shows a calculated 53/47, front to rear bias, just like the Miata. Is this a misprint? Has anyone weighed their front and rear, with and without driver and/or passenger? The results would be interesting.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Unless they have made a major change in the Miata, I question their weight stated balance. My 2000 Miata was extremely rear end light. It couldn't have been anything like the ratio posted. I would put two 50 pound bags of sand in the trunk for winter traction and the car would handle really well, except for no power. Without the sand it was a bear in the turns. Lots of brake and no gas if you didn't want to be looking in the wrong direction before you exited the turn.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
The weight distribution for both cars is correct. Unladen, full fuel tank, (called "Curb"), the cars are approximately 52.5% front.

Each occupant subtracts about 1% from the weight distribution. With two occupants and full fuel tank, both cars are right around 50%.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Also if you read all the refrences to the 50/50 weight distribution values given by both Mazda and GM they always word it as "Near 50/50" or "50/50*" with a definition of * beaing "Near."

·
Registered
608 Posts
Another thing. Compared to most cars, the Solstice is relatively light. 52/48 is only about a 120 pound difference. A full tank of gas alone would put it below 51/49.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
Lots of brake and no gas if you didn't want to be looking in the wrong direction before you exited the turn.
Sounds like an alignment problem.

·
Registered
528 Posts
The balance is not exactly 50/50 as tested by Mallett before the conversion, but more in the 53/47 range as magazine tested. Mallett didn't change the front to rear balance much over the factory setting, but a little better (52.7/47.3). What he did do was balance the car left and right to a 50/50 balance with a 200 lb driver and 1/2 tank of gas making the car handle more predicatively on left and right turn-ins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts