Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
50-miles into randomly buying my NA Solstice Coupe (having never sat in one, let alone drive one) and here's some thoughts which I am guessing you all take for granted!

• I kind of feel like a 20-year old who's dad gave him a go-kart and said "sure son, it's ok to drive it on the road"
  • I am pretty sure I couldn't peel-out for the girls even if I tried my hardest
  • The whole car comes up just past my waist yet somehow I can MacGyver into it with no issue
  • To that point, when you go to get into it, you best be committing to it because there's no backing out
  • I put my water bottle in the passenger seat because despite the space by the emergency brake being the size of Mt. Everest- there is nothing there but a sheet of plastic
  • I thought my phone could sit there instead but of course that giant plastic console is ever-so-slightly curved so it falls off at any corner
  • It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to open the "truck" because I was trying to open where the tailgate ends... rather than the window
  • Once in the "trunk" I am absolutely flabbergasted to find cupholders
  • Pretty sure about 50% of the drivers on the road have no idea I am even there
  • The 50% that do know I am there, many of them take a cellphone picture of me, which is mind-boggling because I'm in a Pontiac. I was going to take one of them back, but my cell is lost somewhere on the floorboard of the passenger seat
  • I find the rear-end so much more attractive than the front-end
  • I realize I need to go to an antique sale and get some CDs to play my favorite tunes
  • I decided to take the hard top off and almost lost a finger on the back lock. The front two were like butter but that back one wanted me dead
  • While searching for my cell phone I found a secret pocket on the front on my seats!
  • Strangely, I absolutely love this little quirky gremlin of a vehicle :cool:

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
I am pretty sure I couldn't peel-out for the girls even if I tried my hardest
uhhhh... yes you could. see the button that shows the car with swervy tire tracks behind it?

looks like this.
Camera lens Camera accessory Lens Automotive lighting Optical instrument

press and hold that for 6 seconds before you go to take off from a stop.
make sure there is nothing you can run into when you do this.

Reactions: KYFarmLife

· Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
667 Posts
50-miles into randomly buying my NA Solstice Coupe (having never sat in one, let alone drive one) and here's some thoughts which I am guessing you all take for granted!

• I kind of feel like a 20-year old who's dad gave him a go-kart and said "sure son, it's ok to drive it on the road"
  • […]
  • The whole car comes up just past my waist yet somehow I can MacGyver into it with no issue
  • To that point, when you go to get into it, you best be committing to it because there's no backing out
  • […]
  • It took me about 15 minutes to figure out how to open the "truck" because I was trying to open where the tailgate ends... rather than the window
  • Once in the "trunk" I am absolutely flabbergasted to find cupholders
  • Pretty sure about 50% of the drivers on the road have no idea I am even there
  • The 50% that do know I am there, many of them take a cellphone picture of me, which is mind-boggling because I'm in a Pontiac. I was going to take one of them back, but my cell is lost somewhere on the floorboard of the passenger seat
  • I find the rear-end so much more attractive than the front-end
  • I realize I need to go to an antique sale and get some CDs to play my favorite tunes
  • I decided to take the hard top off and almost lost a finger on the back lock. The front two were like butter but that back one wanted me dead
  • While searching for my cell phone I found a secret pocket on the front on my seats!
  • Strangely, I absolutely love this little quirky gremlin of a vehicle :cool:
Can confirm.

· Registered
8,569 Posts
To enter the car, open the door as far as possible, face outward so that your butt is facing the interior, slowly lower your butt into the seat while bending you head down at the same time to avoid hitting your head on the outside of the roof. Once seated, complete by swiveling your butt and legs inside to the floorboard at the same time. Complete by belting yourself in before shutting the door.

I use the cupholder behind the passenger seat, but only when stopped, and immediately place my drink back before the light turns green.

The passenger seat front pocket does make a good place to store your phone.

Trunk cubby holes covers take a little practice to remove and replace. Just take your time.

While it's a small car, you could be driving a lifted Hummer H1, and people will still cut you off. Because it seems like few people use their side mirrors, and you can forget about people looking over their shoulders before getting into your lane.

You also might want to invest a LightinSight windshield fresnel lens. It really helps to see overhead style traffic lights when you're first in line. Also, side mirrors mini dot mirrors. Basically, always drive it as if everyone are hitmen and you are their contract.

Removing the targa top is akin to seeing a bald man with a Dollar Store toupee. Neither looks particular attractive. :devilish:

· Registered
1,102 Posts
He must have a coupe? Going by finding 2 cup holders in the trunk.

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
The traction control switch performs several functions. When you start the car, the traction control is active and the stability control system is also active. Pressing the switch for 5 seconds will turn off traction control (mostly) but leaves stability control active. If you hold the switch down for 15? seconds, the words COMPETITION MODE will show up on the drivers information center and the TC is off and the stability control is degraded. It never goes "off" but it will allow the driver a lot more leeway sliding the car before it saves him from himself. Or herself. Or itself. ??? im so confused

· Registered
1,102 Posts
Rob that is why I like my 2006 with the V8, no traction control or stability control to "save" me. I adhere to the "KISS" theory in most things. And less things to fail.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
pressing and holding the switch disables TC 100% and it also disables ESC 100%. pressing the TC button and releasing turns TC off but leaves ESC on and double tapping the button leaves TC on in a reduces capacity and leaves ESC on.

I believe that's how it goes. I think the double tap is what gets you to "competitive mode?

· Registered
7,855 Posts
it's in the owners manual, which I actually have sitting right here on my desk!!

· Premium Member
19,788 Posts
Back in the day, one of our resident engineers from GM said you cant really turn off the stability control. Its always on but the parameters are changed. Its a liability thing.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
if it doesn't turn off then when it is in the "off" position t doesn't do diddly squat.

And yes you can turn it off. Pull the fuse for the EBCM and it will be turned off.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts