Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife is 5'3". I'm 5'9". I sat in my dealers first Solstice the other day (she was not with me), and I felt like the seat may sit too low for her to see over the steering wheel. Doe's anybody here drive a Solstice regularly that is 5'3" or less? Unfortunately, you can't order a power seat. Our car, due to arrive late Nov. or Dec., is primarily for her. Should I wait and re-order an 07'...do you think this may be an option in 07' ????

·
Registered
292 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
I am 5'6" and my wife is 5'3" tall...we both have no problems with the driving position...

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
My wife sat in the one when we went to cinci... she's 5'4 on a good day :) She was concerned about that. I told her I would buy her a pillow to sit on. She turned and looked at me and say "OK". She liked the looks too - Whew!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm 5'2", I don't have a problem driving and seeing out of mine...I love it!!!!!! My guess is that your wife won't have a problem either.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Editguy said: "Booster seat? "

Good one, dude! :)

Anyone that needs one could "borrow" one from Denny's. :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
Yea, and as you make your escape in your Solstice, and the witnesses are telling the cops: he got away in a Porsche, I think! :)

:lol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Solstice fits short drivers, gives extra storage

I'm only 5' 5.5", and slide the seat all the way up to about 2 notches from fully forward. The problem I have is I'm almost too tall, the top of the wheel partially obscures the tops of the speedometer, the fuel gauge, and the tachometer. If I bend my neck forward just a little bit, I can read them easily, so it hasn't been a problem. Again, the viewing angle would actually be improved if I were about 1 to 2 inches shorter in the dimension of my body trunk (from my hips to my shoulders).

Also, the seats have a very good lumbar shape. Very comfortable even on long drives (6+ hours), and I don't need my usual "crank the adjustable lumbar support up to max and add a lumbar cushion" driving position. I've been carrying my extra lumbar cushion around in the trunk, but I don't need it, so maybe today I'll remove it from the vehicle.

As I posted elsewhere, there is an additional advantage of being in the lower half of the 5 to 6 foot height range--a surprising amount of extra storage! Yes, that's right, I've got somewhere north of about 8 inches of floor space behind my driver's seat. It's enough to house my laptop bag with my planner in it (thickness about 8 inches), and the seat is very easy to pull the side mounted release and reach behind. Easier than with my 4 door where I have to open the rear door and pick up the laptop bag from the rear foot well.

On our trip to Monterey (2 people, 3 nights, top down), we put a soft side tote-bag style cooler on top of my laptop bag behind my seat, my wife's computer behind her seat, and a snack bag on top of that, with her and my hats and her sweater, all behind her seat. We had two duffel bags in the trunk with my fleece jacket and rain shell in there as well, and still had about 12 inches x 7 inches x 7 inches left right in front of the air pump in the trunk.

Bottom line: I think you'll find the Solstice very comfortable. :cool:

·
Registered
574 Posts
where there's a will, there's a way. Lost my right leg in a motorcyle accident in 91. Gas and brake with left foot. Use a cane to push in the clutch. Velcro on the end of the cane and on the clutch pedal. Drove a stick 69 vette conv for 7 years without a problem.

If you love the car -- you'll find a safe way to drive it. Good luck

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
WOW, solactor. That is IMPRESSIVE! :grouphug: from all of us!

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
AJB said:
My wife is 5'3". I'm 5'9". I sat in my dealers first Solstice the other day (she was not with me), and I felt like the seat may sit too low for her to see over the steering wheel. Doe's anybody here drive a Solstice regularly that is 5'3" or less? Unfortunately, you can't order a power seat. Our car, due to arrive late Nov. or Dec., is primarily for her. Should I wait and re-order an 07'...do you think this may be an option in 07' ????
Put the steering wheel at the lowest position. TA DA..........

·
Registered
574 Posts
thanks Gizmo -- you do what you gotta do. BTW -- how bout them Cowboys?? just beat the cardinals !!

·
Registered
8,664 Posts
Sorry, Crimson Avenger. I am always "hijacking threads." Thanks for pointing that out.

I'll delete my earlier FPs (frivolous posts) and then delete this one later.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
gizmo2004 said:
WOW, solactor. That is IMPRESSIVE! :grouphug: from all of us!

:agree:

...and I do know that with the seats forward, I could fit a guitar behind each seat!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
... there is an additional advantage of being in the lower half of the 5 to 6 foot height range--a surprising amount of extra storage!
I guess we can add that too living longer :thumbs:

I'm 5'7" and my wife if 5'5" - the seat hight has been my only realy concern with the car (had almost convinced myself that I would have to raise the seat :willy: ).

I'm afraid that I've really gotten used to sitting up high in the last few vehicles (trucks & SUVs). Hopefully I'll see things your way.

Yes, the seats in my Javelin sit about 1.5" higher than original :lol:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
You'll get used to the lower driving position pretty quickly

MAKsys said:
I guess we can add that too living longer :thumbs:

I'm 5'7" and my wife if 5'5" - the seat hight has been my only really concern with the car (had almost convinced myself that I would have to raise the seat :willy: ).

I'm afraid that I've really gotten used to sitting up high in the last few vehicles (trucks & SUVs). Hopefully I'll see things your way.

Yes, the seats in my Javelin sit about 1.5" higher than original :lol:
Friday, a few days back, I got into my Saturn after driving the Solstice for a couple of weeks--we needed to take my wife to the airport with a largish carry-on bag, and didn't even bother to see if it would fit in the Solstice, because I needed to exercise the Saturn a bit before the next track weekend anyway.

When I got into the Saturn, I have the manual seat height adjustment cranked all the way up, and felt a bit surprised that it seemed like I was sitting up too high...

The Solstice is so rewarding to drive (both cruising and sprinting about) that you'll pretty quickly get completely used to it. Also, because there's so little body roll, you'll be surprised how easy it is to aim, and that it goes exactly where you aim it. Since the Solstice suspension sets on entering a corner almost immediately, there's no need to wait and make subtle corrections to the cornering input. Further, mid course corrections deliver almost instantaneous radius of turn changes making it easier to manage in high speed "dodging the knuckle head who's merging into you" maneuvers with almost no drama.

The trip down to the airport and buzzing around in the old Saturn race car again reminded me of why I run it out on the track, it works pretty well, even if the driving position now seems a bit too high. ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm 5'3" and have no problems. I drove a Trans Am year ago and had to sit with the seat all the way forward and the steering wheel in my lap. That is not the case with my solstice. I'm loving it. Had to drive the Jeep Grand Cherokee yesterday for monthly grocery shopping. It felt weird.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Heels.......

Wife too short?.........Send her to Nordstroms.........Bet she can find heels there to reach the pedals. :lol: Of course those heels might set you back a few thousand dollars...... :lol:

·
LOST SOL
4,675 Posts
My wife is 5'2"ish, so I guess I will be stuck doing all of the driving .... awwwwww shucks! ;) :lol:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts