Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well not only are we seeing pics of the MX-5 with the top up but they are also offering a 6-speed manual. The larger of the 2 engines is 178hp I4, thats what we are looking at in the solstice. Why cant we get a 6-speed in the solstice?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think in part to keep cost and complexity down, but also the Solstice probably doesn't need 6 forward gears. I am not convinced the Miata really does either, but since its engine has significantly less torque, it may be a more peaky engine with a smaller powerband.

The Solstice on the other hand appears to have a much wider powerband, with plenty of torque across the whole band. With a powerband like that, there is less of a need to keep shifting gears, since you don't run out of power as quickly up top, and you have enough down low. The gears don' have to be as close together, and therefore you don't need as many. Having extra cogs would mean extra shifting with little benefit in acceleration, which in turn could actually hurt acceleration due to the off throttle time needed for shifting.

Thats speculative of course, since nobody reallly knows what the powerband is. However, based on the specs and info we have seen, it should be good.

Thats also assuming it had 5 regular gears and one overdrive. Some 6 speed manuals actually have 2 overdrive gears, so they are essentially 5 speeds with one super high economy gear tacked on.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fformula88 said:
I think in part to keep cost and complexity down, but also the Solstice probably doesn't need 6 forward gears. I am not convinced the Miata really does either, but since its engine has significantly less torque, it may be a more peaky engine with a smaller powerband.

The Solstice on the other hand appears to have a much wider powerband, with plenty of torque across the whole band. With a powerband like that, there is less of a need to keep shifting gears, since you don't run out of power as quickly up top, and you have enough down low. The gears don' have to be as close together, and therefore you don't need as many. Having extra cogs would mean extra shifting with little benefit in acceleration, which in turn could actually hurt acceleration due to the off throttle time needed for shifting.

Thats speculative of course, since nobody reallly knows what the powerband is. However, based on the specs and info we have seen, it should be good.

Thats also assuming it had 5 regular gears and one overdrive. Some 6 speed manuals actually have 2 overdrive gears, so they are essentially 5 speeds with one super high economy gear tacked on.

Yea i know, it was more hopefull thinking for later added hp. Stock it wont be needed but if you got the solstice into 250hp-300hp range or more, it may be something to be desired

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Yea i know, it was more hopefull thinking for later added hp. Stock it wont be needed but if you got the solstice into 250hp-300hp range or more, it may be something to be desired
There is no reason to think it wouldn't get 6 speeds when a bigger engine is added. They will likely need a stronger transmission anyway. Also, they are getting the 5 speed trans from Aisin, who also makes a 6 speed manual (the Honda S2000 uses an Aisin 6 speed).

Also, the 2002 concept car with the supercharged ecotec had a 6 speed.

I'd bet they do step up a gear with the forced induction engine, especially if it ends up being a turbo, since the turbo is more likely to have a smaller powerband and need the extra cogs.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Well not only are we seeing pics of the MX-5 with the top up but they are also offering a 6-speed manual. The larger of the 2 engines is 178hp I4, thats what we are looking at in the solstice. Why cant we get a 6-speed in the solstice?
Where did you get the 178HP figure from? Because the official press release that came out yesterday from Mazda said 160PS which converts to about 158HP.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
brentil said:
Where did you get the 178HP figure from? Because the official press release that came out yesterday from Mazda said 160PS which converts to about 158HP.
Yea 158 seems to be the party line. There's a few magazines quoting the 170 but that appears wrong.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Why do you think you need more gears with more hp? Mack semis are only 5 speed and they are running in the neighborhood of 400 hp. All the muscle cars of the 60's nad 70's had 4's. If you don't have any low end torque then, yes, you need all the gears you can get. Why not even put in a 2 speed rear end and go for 8-10-12? Wait, that's been done in the past. Electric overdrive on top of a 4 speed in MGB. So it only works in 4th to provide 5th? Electricity, my dear Watson, is elementary and can be redirected. The net effect envisioned here would be a switch that would give you 5 gears for showing off and a second set of 5 gears for economy driving (that way if the Sol finds its way into rental fleets they can override the system). You still would have overdrive available in both but would in effect have 2 overdrives. Example where useful is Honda Civic CSi wher 5th gear at 75 mph still has the engine turning over 3 grand.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
achieftain said:
Why do you think you need more gears with more hp? Mack semis are only 5 speed and they are running in the neighborhood of 400 hp. All the muscle cars of the 60's nad 70's had 4's. If you don't have any low end torque then, yes, you need all the gears you can get. Why not even put in a 2 speed rear end and go for 8-10-12? Wait, that's been done in the past. Electric overdrive on top of a 4 speed in MGB. So it only works in 4th to provide 5th? Electricity, my dear Watson, is elementary and can be redirected. The net effect envisioned here would be a switch that would give you 5 gears for showing off and a second set of 5 gears for economy driving (that way if the Sol finds its way into rental fleets they can override the system). You still would have overdrive available in both but would in effect have 2 overdrives. Example where useful is Honda Civic CSi wher 5th gear at 75 mph still has the engine turning over 3 grand.
Because being able to say you have a 6-speed is far cooler then saying you have a 5-speed. :D Personally I'd rather be able to tell people my Solstice is a 6-speed then 5-speed. It's one of those things that help give an appearance of uplevel. There's so many cars with 5-speed having a 6-speed helps it stand out. Especially with 6-speed and 5-speed Autos becoming far more common.

Yeah, as MCEB said those are the older model's values. The new MC has a tuned 2.0L VVT shared from the Mazda3 that produces 158HP, and the Euro/Jap versions will have a detuned (for fuel economy reasons) 1.8L engine making I think 125HP.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
brentil said:
Because being able to say you have a 6-speed is far cooler then saying you have a 5-speed. :D ....
"This one goes to ELEVEN!!!"

·
4,592 Posts
In fairness to goalscore, that MSN auto page never mentioned those specs are for a MSM, they used MX-5 but not mazdaspeed or miata, pretty bad! It did however say it was 2005 MX-5, tht part they had right :brentil:

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
RODEO said:
In fairness to goalscore, that MSN auto page never mentioned those specs are for a MSM, they used MX-5 but not mazdaspeed or miata, pretty bad! It did however say it was 2005 MX-5, tht part they had right :brentil:
Thanks Rodeo, i was bored at work and that was the easiest way to look up all kinds of different cars at the same time

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
Because being able to say you have a 6-speed is far cooler then saying you have a 5-speed. :D
In that case, GM should make the Solstice a 7 speed! :devil: That would show the competition! It would give us HUGE bragging rights! :glol:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
RODEO said:
If you click the highlighted word "engine" it brings you to a page that says
Base LS MAZDASPEED
Engines
1.8L 142 hp I4 Std. Std. N/A
1.8L 178 hp I4 N/A N/A Std.
solsticeman said:
"This one goes to ELEVEN!!!"
Exactly!!! :D

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
goalscore247 said:
Thanks Rodeo, i was bored at work and that was the easiest way to look up all kinds of different cars at the same time
Miata is very confusing...

Miata in the U.S. = MX-5 in the rest of the world
Turbo Miata aka MazdaSpeed Miata (MSM) or MX-5 (even in US)
New 3rd gen Miata might be called MX-5 everywhere

There will be a test on this later :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Miata is very confusing...

Miata in the U.S. = MX-5 in the rest of the world
Turbo Miata aka MazdaSpeed Miata (MSM) or MX-5 (even in US)
New 3rd gen Miata might be called MX-5 everywhere

There will be a test on this later :lol:
I agree, and add, NA NB NC, also called, M1 M2 M3.

I'm not even sure what MSM means, but I lean toward Masdspeed MX-5 since there's no mi*ta badging on the car, although the DMV knows it as a mi*ta.

·
Registered
767 Posts
If the number of speeds is a measure of a sportscar, my 1983 Dodge Colt could have qualified. It had a "twin stick". A standard 4-speed transmision with another shifter for power or economy. Normally you would put it in economy and drive normally, but if you wanted to burn rubber with the little 1400cc engine, put in in power mode and take off. Just for the hell of it, I could start out in power low, shift to economy low then power 2nd, then economy 2nd-----------------you get the idea. At that rate, it had an 8 speed transmission. 5 speeds is enough for me.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I had a rusted out old 69 6-cylinder Malibu. (seriously rusted out)

It had 2 speeds. Automatic. Really. I forget what chevy called it but Olds called it powerglide, I think.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts