·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
From Mr Lutz....

Solstice Delivers

By Bob Lutz
GM Vice Chairman

As I write this, I'm on an airplane, returning from Portland, Oregon, where a group of leading auto journalists got their first opportunity to drive, or should I say, wring out the Pontiac Solstice on some of the world's nicest mountain roads, including a closed-course, private mountain pass put in by the legendary Sam Hill (origin of the question "Where in the Sam Hill....?", testifying to the high-altitude remoteness of his chosen luxury residence).

Compared to earlier pre-production examples, these cars had the latest air induction system for vastly reduced induction noise, and a freer (but still legal) exhaust system, which produces a very pleasant sporting exhaust note and adds greatly to the character of the car.

While most professional journalist-evaluators hate the question, "So, what did you think?" (it is considered bad form for the host to ask this question, which puts the guest on the spot), in this case the reaction to the car was offered spontaneously: it was declared an overwhelmingly competent and desirable car by all, with special praise going to style, refinement, compliant ride, sharp steering, high grip, and neutral handling at outrageous cornering speeds, especially considering the almost-incredible price.

I do believe the car made the point we intended for it to make: the product development process at GM is back on track. We understand beauty, excellence, the best-in-class imperative, and value for money, and the organization has the will and the capability to deliver. I felt huge pride in the GM team that created this exceptional car, and optimism knowing it is but an early signal to the public, and a warning to our competitors, of more to come, as GM finally musters its enormous global talent pool and focuses it on winning products.

And, speaking of delivering, I am told that the First 1,000 Solstices are being built now in our Wilmington, Delaware, assembly plant and will be shipped the first week of August.

P.S. And here's the bitter orange marmalade recipe.
http://fastlane.gmblogs.com/archives/2005/07/solstice_delive_1.html#more

Attachments

·
Registered
312 Posts
OMG, I hope he's not just blowing smoke!

If the reviews are really that good, then I can only imagine the mark up the dealers are going to put on these sweet rides!

RadRiv

·
Registered
383 Posts
RADRIV said:
OMG, I hope he's not just blowing smoke!

If the reviews are really that good, then I can only imagine the mark up the dealers are going to put on these sweet rides!

RadRiv

NO DOUBT...wheres the marmalade recipe???

·
Registered
472 Posts
As I write this, I'm on an airplane, returning from Portland, Oregon, where a group of leading auto journalists got their first opportunity to drive, or should I say, wring out the Pontiac Solstice on some of the world's nicest mountain roads, including a closed-course, private mountain pass put in by the legendary Sam Hill (origin of the question "Where in the Sam Hill....?", testifying to the high-altitude remoteness of his chosen luxury residence).

It was great seeing the cars and driving one in Portland. I get to drive these roads everday!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
deepdawg said:
...wheres my sosltice? Figured you were so helpful and all. haha :lol:
Right behind mine ;) which I hope is only weeks away.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Fortimir said:
So they improved the air-flow... you think there will be a HP increase?
Absolutely excellent question Fortimir. How does anyone address the issue that the HP has been marketed at 177, and the possibility of an increase, that I would guess GM would want known, if the production cars have now more HP? Does GM just say "oops, I guess we could squeezed more out of 'er", or did the intake and exhaust changes just get it up to the advertised 177, or is it still just 177 and the changes had no effect on HP or WHP?

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
deepdawg said:
NO DOUBT...wheres the marmalade recipe???
Forget the Orange marmalade, where's the ORANGE SOLSTICE? :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
Assuming the Solstice is the Grand Slam home run it appear to be, I wonder if The Supreme Bob will be given more complete control over enthusiast cars, such as the new Camaro. Not just writing the specs or choosing interior pieces, but given complete control over the entire car as he was over the Solstice.

If his sports car baby is a huge hit, maybe they will give him more cars to be his other babies. I certainly hope so.

Few things have shown the stark contrast between a man of vision on the one hand, and a committee of corporate bean-counters on the other, the way the execution of the Solstice has.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Even with all the magazine editors raving, I bet there will still be one review somewhere that spins a negative picture. The mags just cannot resist.

Good to hear they liked it! It sounds very encouraging!

Maybe Bob should include a jar of his marmolade with every Solstice! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fortimir said:
So they improved the air-flow... you think there will be a HP increase?
I think he was comparing to the older test mules. Maybe that's how we got from 170 to 177. Don't think it's a recent change.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I thought the 7HP difference was if you used 89 Octane Vs 91 Octane

·
Registered
214 Posts
Some delivery the first week of August. This is a pretty good source, don't ya think?
I went by my dealership to day and my salesman said, "I hear they're talking October now?" Boy is he up to speed!!!! As hard as it is to believe, these dealerships have been concentrating on selling what they have with these deep discounts that are out there. I'd be buying a new car now if I hadn't ordered one on April 15!!!!! Bring it on Dr. Bob. We're ready!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bob Lutz said:
And, speaking of delivering, I am told that the First 1,000 Solstices are being built now in our Wilmington, Delaware, assembly plant and will be shipped the first week of August.
Doesn't the wording on this make it sound like all 1,000 will be shipped as a group the first week of August? I'm sure that he meant SOME of the the first 1,000 will be shipped the first week of August but the way he put it it sure sounds like "The First 1,000 Solstices ... will be shipped the first week of August." Any possibility at all of that happening?

Also, Why would they wait until the first week of August to ship cars that were finished as early as last week?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
solsticedreamin said:
Doesn't the wording on this make it sound like all 1,000 will be shipped as a group the first week of August? I'm sure that he meant SOME of the the first 1,000 will be shipped the first week of August but the way he put it it sure sounds like "The First 1,000 Solstices ... will be shipped the first week of August." Any possibility at all of that happening?

Also, Why would they wait until the first week of August to ship cars that were finished as early as last week?
I think we can safely assume the chance of that are zero to none!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
solsticedreamin said:
Quality control. Just because you finish doesn't mean it's ready to ship. I'm guessing they have some extensive quality assurance going on before they release these cars.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Yeah, like the 8 minute water test. And living here in FL, mine is gonna HAVE to pass that test.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts