Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
took a ride to the plant this evening. lots of solstises on a couple different lots but none on carriers. a harley guy rode up the lane as i was taking some pix. turns out he is from Canada and is with the company that does the weatherseals for the solstice (including the convertable top seals). he says he's been at the plant for a year. asked me if I was on Solsticeforum as he and others are regular readers. a couple things he had to say about the solstice...
the line runs slow because the cars are being practically handbuilt
as improvements develop already built cars are being sent back to be reworked with the improvements (not "fixed" but "reworked")
GM's expectations for weather sealing are very demanding. he said BMW Z3 owner's manual discourages a commercial car wash but GM want the Solstice to sit through a monsoon without a leak.
1st pic is a rear lot
2nd is front lot including cars to be "reworked"
3d pic is a solstice parked close to the fence so a passerby could get a good look
4th pic is a pure parked out of line.. another 'display' car i think
5th pic is empty car carriers... hopefully full of solstices soon

Attachments

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
cdb, that last picture of the car carriers (several!) is the most promising pic I've seen in a long time. I was there two weeks ago and was told most of the cars out in the lot at the time were pre-production.

·
Registered
269 Posts
CanSol

Thanks for all the great shots. After the long wait it is a bit strange knowing that my car is built and it may be one of the cars in the photos.

Before when you saw shots of all the cars at the factory it was frustrating to think that there are all those cars (pre-production units) and they don't belong to anyone and you're no closer to owning one.

Now at least we know the cars in the pictures belong to someone and it will only be a short wait until they are parked in the our garages.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
thanks for the pix and info.

Hopefully my Solstice is not there anymore.

The next time I see Solsti lined up like that will be a meet :lurk:

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Damn, Damn, Damn - all those lonely Sols just looking for a little love..

Where exactly is the factory?

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Critterman said:
Damn, Damn, Damn - all those lonely Sols just looking for a little love..

Where exactly is the factory?
Just off Exit 1 on 295, right after the split from 95 North. REAL easy to find; there are directions somewhere in this forum!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Thanks, I will have to do a Dreaded search :) Let's see $20 bucks in tolls each way, 3/4 of a tank of premium ($50-55), so for a century note I could drive up and take a look......

·
Registered
936 Posts
thanks for keeping us informed. If I ever get back to Philly the stake sandwithces are on me!

Marco The last update I got was that mine should be loaded on a carrier Monday for delivery Wed. or Thur. Maybe ours will be on the same load.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
ateam_77 said:
thanks for keeping us informed. If I ever get back to Philly the stake sandwithces are on me!

Marco The last update I got was that mine should be loaded on a carrier Monday for delivery Wed. or Thur. Maybe ours will be on the same load.
I had my block party today. Beautiful day. I spoke to someone at my dealership yesterday and today.

Oh well, I get the feeling that it will be here Monday. I'm going down to Cinci so it will probably pull in Monday at 10am.

My dealer has 5 EOP's and although mine was the first picked up, I wouldn't be surprised that he gets 4 or 5 of them.

At least Ohio and for that fact, the rest of the country are starting to get deliveries. GM seems to be about two weeks behind where I expected them.

The lack of communication by GM robbed some of the great goodwill they bought with the Detroit kick off and the gifts.

"I could've handled the truth" :leaving:

I think a few flame wars could have been avoided. :brentil:

I have goodwill towards all those delivered and I believe that 2000 plus will be delivered in the next 6 weeks.
I can't wait for some of the crazy Canucks get a hold of theirs. :willy:

It's 12:15 am eastern sunday. It is now officially the week I get my car.

Is it July already? :lol:

·
Registered
245 Posts
nice to see so many sol's sitting in the lot at one time. lets get those ones out and keep them coming off the line. ;)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
I'd say that one in front of all the empty car carriers needs to be seriously reworked ... it got hit by the ugly stick a few times on the way down the line. :lol:

·
Registered
230 Posts
SlySol said:
I'd say that one in front of all the empty car carriers needs to be seriously reworked ... it got hit by the ugly stick a few times on the way down the line. :lol:
I think that one's a prototype coupe! It's yellow, so it's gotta be right? :glol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just went to Google Maps and brought up the satellite image of the Wilmington plant. Pretty big place. Lots of cars in the back. (I must be really bored to be doing this.) :yawn:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
SlySol said:
Aftere seeing that I don't want a yellow Sol anymore. :lol:

·
2,574 Posts
Primus said:
Hmm, reworked. This kind of worries me. My car got to me relatively quickly. I don't believe any rework was done. Kind of makes me think that mine may have some problems that others won't.
Take some advise and don't start second guessing. If nothing sticks out as being a problem don't start worrying about something being wrong when it's not. No future in that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
the 'improvements' mentioned were issues that are familiar to anyone following the car. weatherseals around the side windows, front and rear fascia fit and some issue with the sand/steel's 'sand' colored dash. th GM quality control apparently are putting these cars through the ringer-
if your car was released for shipment it has to get by people looking for these issues.
we have warranties on our new cars, and we can always check the Technical Service Bulletins from GM to see if any other issues appear in the future, but mostly we have a big commitment from everyone involved to get the Solstice done right.
this a relatively low volume car and can't be a big money maker for GM. the business strategy that justifies building this car is the effect it will have on the public perception of Pontiac. they want everyone to see a Solstice and think "Pontiac!"
don't worry about the quality of your Solstice, the GM people have already done that for you.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
cdb said:
took a ride to the plant this evening. lots of solstises on a couple different lots but none on carriers. a harley guy rode up the lane as i was taking some pix. turns out he is from Canada and is with the company that does the weatherseals for the solstice (including the convertable top seals). he says he's been at the plant for a year. asked me if I was on Solsticeforum as he and others are regular readers. a couple things he had to say about the solstice...
the line runs slow because the cars are being practically handbuilt
as improvements develop already built cars are being sent back to be reworked with the improvements (not "fixed" but "reworked")
GM's expectations for weather sealing are very demanding. he said BMW Z3 owner's manual discourages a commercial car wash but GM want the Solstice to sit through a monsoon without a leak.
1st pic is a rear lot
2nd is front lot including cars to be "reworked"
3d pic is a solstice parked close to the fence so a passerby could get a good look
4th pic is a pure parked out of line.. another 'display' car i think
5th pic is empty car carriers... hopefully full of solstices soon
Has anyone but me noticed that the red one and white one have their GM "chicklet" in the pre-production car location? Are these pre-pro cars they are using to tool around the lot? That might explain their odd parking locations. Or is the chicklet being placed back where it used to be? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts