Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving top down yesterday with the A/C on when all of a sudden I heard and felt this grinding noise. I pulled over, actually felt like a flat tire I was getting so much vibration and turned off the ignition.
After a minute I turned on the ignition without starting the motor and there it was again. Turned off the fan and all was quite. I drove home thinking I may have froze the A/C up, let it set for an hour, started it up and heard a high pitched whine when I turned the fan on, which got worse the higher the speed of the fan until it sounded like it was rubbing against something, so I shut it off.

This morning I figured I would pull the fan motor to see if anything had fell into it or it was just out of balance. Couldn't find anything... Hooked everything back up, now no fan operation at all. I should mention I'm mechanically challenged!

Has anyone had a similar occurrence?

·
Registered
5,434 Posts
I've not read of this failure. Sounds like your blower motor lost a bearing and burned out. Did you try testing the blower on the bench when you had it out? Did it spin freely by hand when you had it out?

If it was making noises before and dead now, you likely have a blown fuse as a result of the problem with the motor.

I don't think I'd try to get it going in the car until I see if it spins freely on the bench and will spin up when you apply power to it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The cage would spin but with resistance. I think you're right, bearing shot and most likely a fuse. Thanks for your reply chickenwire.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts