Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is 90+ degrees in NJ today.

During a drive, the Air Conditioner in my GXP automatic coupe stopped blowing cold air.
Only hot air... :frown2:

...worked in the morning, but stopped working during the evening drive...

All lights on the dials are working.
No codes thrown...

I did the Actuator Recalibration procedure from here -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/c-intermittent-failure-63714/#post964737, but no change.

...just hot air...

any ideas on where to start to diagnose this? I have just started searching for older threads... tough to search with inconsistent terminology...

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
Probably need to recharge it. Not difficult, but it begs the question where/how did it leak?

I had to recharge my '07 NA the year after I bought it - 2013. it's been fine since.

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
If it happened suddenly, I doubt it's a recharge issue (well, unless you got a massive freon fracture). Hoping that it's not a compressor issue - but at least check the belts anyway.

It could be that the blend flap actuator has failed, it's not uncommon. Replacements are pretty cheap and you can DIY, though you need to be somewhat of a contortionist. Some instruction on replacement is here: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/help-heater-blend-door-actuator-issues-71681/#post1607249 But before you buy a new one, you may want to follow the first few steps to see if the flap is working or not.

·
Super Moderator
6,264 Posts
Certainly have the refrigerant checked, but I have usually heard of that being a gradual loss of cooling, and not a sudden one.

You didn't mention fuses, so have you checked? Fuse 22 Underhood. Also Fuse 16 in the BCM, but that powers other things too, so probably not.

You should be able to hear or see the compressor clutch engage if you turn it on and off with the hood open.

There isn't much else you can check without a diagnostic scanner.

·
Registered
5,039 Posts
If it happened suddenly, I doubt it's a recharge issue (well, unless you got a massive freon fracture). Hoping that it's not a compressor issue - but at least check the belts anyway.

It could be that the blend flap actuator has failed, it's not uncommon. Replacements are pretty cheap and you can DIY, though you need to be somewhat of a contortionist. Some instruction on replacement is here: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/help-heater-blend-door-actuator-issues-71681/#post1607249 But before you buy a new one, you may want to follow the first few steps to see if the flap is working or not.
Soup - does the diverter "default" to heat when it fails or stay stuck where it was?

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
Soup - does the diverter "default" to heat when it fails or stay stuck where it was?
Frankly, I've no idea. I guess it would depend on if the flap connection breaks or if the motor fails...

In any case, that's why I said he should visually check if it HAS failed, before replacement.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I'm with Soup on this one had this happen recently to the Grand Marquis sudden loss of cooling and blowing hot air (blend flap actuator door ) .I would not try to recharge it until you find out for sure what the problem is you run the risk of overfilling the system ask me how I know .

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
it is 90+ degrees in NJ today.

During a drive, the Air Conditioner in my GXP automatic coupe stopped blowing cold air.
Only hot air..
. :frown2:

...worked in the morning, but stopped working during the evening drive...

All lights on the dials are working.
No codes thrown...

I did the Actuator Recalibration procedure from here -> https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/c-intermittent-failure-63714/#post964737, but no change.

...just hot air...

any ideas on where to start to diagnose this? I have just started searching for older threads... tough to search with inconsistent terminology...
First step would be to determine if it's ambient air or heated air.

·
Super Moderator
6,264 Posts
I'm with Soup on this one had this happen recently to the Grand Marquis sudden loss of cooling and blowing hot air (blend flap actuator door ) .I would not try to recharge it until you find out for sure what the problem is you run the risk of overfilling the system ask me how I know .
Check the refrigerant, Yes. Recharge the refrigerant without knowing that it is low, No.

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
fuse 22 is good

relay 15 is good too. ( we swapped the relay with the trunk release to prove it... )
( also we could hear the relay click when we activated the a/c )

when the car first starts , and I put the a/c on, there is no heat coming out - just room temperature air

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
6,799 Posts
found this thread...

this sounds like my problem...

...feels like a trip to the dealer to get the a/c clutch checked. ( and probably a whole new compressor )
This is easy to check for yourself. Just open the hood and have someone start the engine and switch the A/C on and off. You'll be able to see the compressor turning (and hear it engage too, and hear the engine slow and resume as it turns on). If none of those things, then yes, your compressor/clutch. But if you DO see/hear them, then you haven't wasted an expensive trip to the dealer! :)

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This is easy to check for yourself. Just open the hood and have someone start the engine and switch the A/C on and off. You'll be able to see the compressor turning (and hear it engage too, and hear the engine slow and resume as it turns on). If none of those things, then yes, your compressor/clutch. But if you DO see/hear them, then you haven't wasted an expensive trip to the dealer! :)
did this... the clutch never moved... :frown2:

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think you meant "compressor" as indicated by the link. Are you planning to replace it yourself?
oops - thanks for the catch.

No, this replacement is not something that I can tackle.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts