Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
According to The Bob in the August R&T, they didn't shift the Solstice to Chevrolet because of cost to move the factory, and some resistance form the Corvette contingent, but they did have a couple of Chev badged Solstices around - first time I've heard that. Anyone know what happened to them?

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Here is an even better story

Chevrolet Kappa Sting Ray - Spied Vehicles - Motor Trend

GM is seriously considering building a V-6 version of its Kappa sports car (aka Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky). But the scuttlebutt around Motown is that this version would get an all-new body, a Chevy badge, and one of the most iconic names in the GM sports-car pantheon--Sting Ray. It would be positioned as a muscular, entry-level Chevy sports car priced under the current Corvette range, but above the higher-end Pontiac and Saturn models. Given the enduring success of the Corvette, the Sting Ray plan seems plausible--and profitable.

And the V6 Solstice coupe in 08

the Sting Ray would transcend GM's old divisional order. If it gets the green light, it'll be a well-equipped, high-spec model, priced far above the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky. Both those cars will remain four-cylinder only, although the 2008 Pontiac Solstice coupe also will come with a V-6, which helps the Chevy's business case, as it means some development and certification costs can be shared.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
2004 Chevy Nomad Concept on the Kappa chassis
That one I had seen before, in the dim recesses of my mind . .. Oh wait . .. :dthumbs::woo::woo::woo:

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting!

I wonder which ones Lutz was thinking of, or if there were any mules kicking around with Chev emblems stuck on them?

·
Registered
693 Posts
i can see why they didnt.i would bet a chevy kappa sting ray with say,a grand national type supercharged 6 would be a lot of competition for both vette and camaro.looked at a bunch of camaros and vettes while ordering some cable clips from my local chevy dealer.the vettes were nice but cost too much.somehow the camaros looked big and chunky compared to the solstice.i can see long term solstice ownership in my future...

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
somehow the camaros looked big and chunky compared to the solstice.
Waddya mean 'somehow? The Camaro is a two ton pig that weighs a half a ton more than the Solstice. It IS big and chunky!

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
I had a Camero for a few months, they are heavy and big on the outside. Somehow they are small on the inside though. Thin seats, not comfortable to drive

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The exact quote:

Yes, product-wise, it would have made a lot of sense, and we did have a couple of Chevy-badged Skys around. They looked perfect with the bow tie. Trouble is the cars were built in a plant that was way oversized and thus inefficient. Moving the tooling and equipment to some other location would have been prohibitively expensive. Sidebar: The Corvette guys hated the idea, fearing that a Chevrolet Kappa car would steal Corvette sales.

·
Registered
160 Posts
When the solstice came to the plant we were all shown renderings of possible variants,
stingray, nomad ect. I never saw a chevy badged solstice at Wilmington. They must have badged them in detriot.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I wonder what happens to this sort of car?

If it was just a few Chev emblems stuck on an otherwise stock Kappa, they would probably just remove them, put the originals emblems back on and sell them. If it was a more extensive remodel, some seem to end up in their store of prototypes, and I believe some are destroyed.

Sadly, in Britain, there was a tax payable by the manufacturer on all cars produced regardless of whether they were production or not, and this resulted in many historically significant prototypes and styling exercises being sent to the shredder to save the tax.

I dare someone to get something like a Tauro and rebadge it as a Chev and show up at a Corvette national meet.....:devil:

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
I wonder what happens to this sort of car?

I dare someone to get something like a Tauro and rebadge it as a Chev and show up at a Corvette national meet.....:devil:
You are stirring the pot again, Bill! :rofl:

As a practical matter, a lot of show cars and one-offs are crushed/shredded by the manufacturers in this country. Somewhere on this forum there is a post that contains a description of the final days at the Wilmington plant, along with a description of some of the show cars stored at the plant being fed to the crusher. Sad.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Never reluctant to stir the pot! :)

The Tauro suggestion came from one I actually did - took my Jensen CV-8 to a Mopar meet. The outside of the car is decidedly unusual (fibreglass and aluminum panels = sort of an English Corvette):

They wandered over and asked WTF kind of British crap car it was and why it was there.

I opened the bonnet and they calmed down:

I expect that the LS engine under the Tauro hood would have a similarly calming effect on the horde of Corvette owners with pitchforks. Only problem is that the Tauros are either non-existent (how many have they ever made?) or exceptionally expensive.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
The questions being asked in this thread is why I'd like to see someone from the Kappa program be invited to attend the Nationals. It sure be nice to hear about rumors about future Kappa product plans, had it survived.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,607 Posts
Never reluctant to stir the pot! :)

The Tauro suggestion came from one I actually did - took my Jensen CV-8 to a Mopar meet. The outside of the car is decidedly unusual (fibreglass and aluminum panels = sort of an English Corvette):
I remember you talking about that in another thread.

I expect that the LS engine under the Tauro hood would have a similarly calming effect on the horde of Corvette owners with pitchforks. Only problem is that the Tauros are either non-existent (how many have they ever made?) or exceptionally expensive.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the initial batch of Tauro's made was three. Dave Gilbert of Performance Autowerks in Chicago flew to Spain and did the LS installations in the donor Solstices. I have been in contact with one of the locals in Spain who knows a bit about the Tauro "factory". I have been led to believe that there may be another 2, maybe 3 Tauro's, under current construction. Consider that a rumor, as I do, until there is some proof somewhere that more than 3 Tauros are in existence.

Yes Tauro's are extremely rare and hideously expensive.

:cool:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts