Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Solstice World,

Just got back from the L. A. Auto Show. Have some photos of the Nomad and Sky but I only took one of the Solstice because I have many already. Selfish, I guess.

Anyway, I asked three different show presenters at the Solstice area the following questions (Q) and got consistent answers (A) that are stated below with my own comment (C) as follows:

(Q) Is this a "production" car or a "show" car?
(A) A show car, but the production car will be exactly like it.
(C) Unbelievable.

(Q) Is this show car painted with "Dark Tarnished Silver Metallic" or "Liquid Silver Metallic"?
(A) Liquid Silver Metallic.
(C) Looks great (and just like all of the photos previously seen).

(Q) Will the top be a "hard" top or a "soft" top?
(A) Soft top.
(C) Believable.

(Q) Will the top's window be independently retracable?
(A) No.
(C) Believable.

(Q) Are the wheel rims "painted" aluminum or "polished" aluminum on the show car?
(A) Polished aluminum rims.
(C) I am not so sure.

(Q) Are those the 18 inch wheels?
(A) Yes.
(C) Forgot my glasses.

(Q) Have you heard the engine running and can you tell me how it sounds.
(A) No and it can not be turned on inside these convention halls.
(C) Not surprising.

(Q) What function do the round (silver-dollar sized) holes on the forward part of the rear deck perform?
(A) Finger holes to lift the trunk lid.
(C) That is just what they look like doing from where I had to stand. Can't get within touching distance of the show car.

(Q) Are the beige/grey(blue?) seats all leather?
(A) Yes, all leather.
(C) Again, that is what they appear to be. Looks good.

(Q) Can I see the top?
(N) No.
(C) Surprise, Not!

(Q) Can I see the trunk?
(A) No.
(C) Another surprise, not.

(Q) What is the function of the small fixture in the middle of the rear deck?
(A) The XM Satellite receiver.
(C) Reasonable.

(Q) Will all production autos come with this fixture?
(A) Yes.
(C) But I don't want it.

(Q) What if I don't want it?
(A) Too bad.
(C) Unreasonable.

(Q) Can I see inside the center (waterfall) storage between the seats?
(A) No.
(C) *^%$#

(Q) Is the antenna (located on the forward, right side of the rear deck) "motorized"?
(A) Yes.
(C) Well, what do you know about that?

(Q) And the antenna goes up and down in sync with the radio power on/off switch?
(A) Yes.
(C) Good.

(Q) What are the cutouts on the silver band of the cowling on the rear deck?
(A) We think that they are there to provide clearance for the (soft) top structure.
(C) Looks like it to me too.

(Q) When can we expect to see it in the show room of my local dealer?
(A) Fall, Oct of this year as it is a "2006" car.
(C) I am with all of you that hope it will be late Spring of 2005.

(Q) Will you please take my picture with the Solstice in the background?
(A) Sure.
(C) I will try to post that one and the others I took tomorrow (Jan. 13).

The car DOES look great and all onlookers were amazed that the price was stated (over and over) to be in the region of $20,000.

To the person who wanted me to send him one of the brochures from Pontiac (which shows the Solstice), please send me your address as I have one for you.

[email protected]

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
(Q) What function do the round (silver-dollar sized) holes on the forward part of the rear deck perform?
(A) Finger holes to lift the trunk lid.
(C) That is just what they look like doing from where I had to stand. Can't get within touching distance of the show car.
hmmmm interesting if true.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Yeah, I was wondering about that too. Used to have a sailboat where all the cabinets were opened by sticking your finger in a hole to unfasten the latch. HATED THEM!! Picture sticking your finger in a little hole while bouncing around on a choppy sea! More bad thing to say about fingerholes than you could count on your.....Can't see how they'd get past govt saftey regs. I'll believe it when I see them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have an extra brochure as well. First person to give me there info gets it. (I imagine you could just go down to the dealer and get one....but I do have an extra.)

Seriously, I am dying to see how the top works. (are they really finger holes???)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Great job hoffman, very organized :smile

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
Great job. Their answers, not surprisingly, are not completely accurate (power antenna? don't bet on it. Finger holes? Not a chance), so it's unfortunate but you have to take their answers with a grain of salt - they are just actors hired and given a writeup to read a few days before the show. I have a friend who is an actor, and he's had to play a cowboy and answer questions about trucks, he played "Mr. Bib" at one of the NAIAS, and he's worked in concert with multi-car exhibits (similar to the three buick show vehicles at last year's or the year before's NAIAS in Detroit).

They are instructed to try to memorize and use the information, when asked something they can't answer, he's been told never to say "I don't know", either try to ignore the questioner, or make something up because "it doesn't matter."

I've been looking at pics all over the web, there is no way the antenna is powered. It's a standard mast antenna you see on every GM car.

XM standard? No way. I know that's what they said, but it's grossly inaccurate.

Great job, though. You're not a magazine writer or a private eye, are you? :jester

·
Registered
667 Posts
airbalancer said:
In, Canada we do not have XM yet, so it can not be standard.
The satellites are in fixed orbit over North America so you should be able to get it. I think?

Great job Tony!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Good job interrogating the show representatives! The bit about the fingerholes is interesting too, although they look a little small for that purpose. Most people generally do not lift a decklid with a single finger. If they had a cutout for lifting that lid, I would think it would be a hand sized grip.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
:agree Had assumed that was what the cutouts on the silver band of the cowling on the rear deck were for.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm guessing more then likely you have to use a trunk button or the key-fob to 'pop' the trunk. When you do so it'll raise maybe 2-6 inches for you to get your hand under it to lift it up.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Chip said:
The satellites are in fixed orbit over North America so you should be able to get it. I think?
Chip, I have XM radio and I have to say I do enjoy it, it's not cd quality but it's good enough. As far as it reaching into Canada, it does, but only parts. It's not marketed outside the continental U.S. It has to do with licensing I believe.

·
5,600 Posts
It does not sound reasonable to me that GM engineers would expect you to lift the rear lid with just one finger. I can't raise my truck hood with just one finger. I believe the doors in the sides of the silver trim behind the head rests is access to allow you to lift the rear lid with your hand. So the holes in the lid must be for something else.

They look like hard-points for attaching a hard-top roof. But I'll buy the belief of those saying that those holes are for the convertible top wings.

We'll know in a few months.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
jimbo said:
They look like hard-points for attaching a hard-top roof. But I'll buy the belief of those saying that those holes are for the convertible top wings.
That's got my vote :smile

1 - 20 of 46 Posts