Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few quick questions that I have and for some reason I can't use the search from my phone. Every time I type in the drop down box it kicks me out and enlarges the screen.

Anyways, traction control. Can I turn it off without the dash light coming on? Can this be done through tuning?

Tuning, how do you tune these cars? Is there a handheld unit that I can get or do I have to have other hardware or software installed to do this? With my other car I can just have my tuner e-mail me a file and I can load it into my car with my SCT handheld unit.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
You can use HPT to tune the car yourself or have someone send you a tune and loaded using the HPT software.
There are also a few vendors here that offer tunes for our cars.
Not sure if there is a way to turn off the light for the TSC.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I have to purchase the software and use a laptop, and then I can load tune files right into the ECU? I'll check into HP and see how much the software is. Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
Unless you are an expert and have specific knowledge of the car, tuning can be risky

There are several venders who will sell you a tune and maintain it for you. They will generally also do a custome tune for you at their location or some third party location

There are many failure modes that are considered by tuners

What are your objectives?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Unless you are an expert and have specific knowledge of the car, tuning can be risky

There are several venders who will sell you a tune and maintain it for you. They will generally also do a custome tune for you at their location or some third party location

There are many failure modes that are considered by tuners

What are your objectives?

Not really sure yet. It's just a DD and really don"t plan on doing a whole lot with it but I do know that whatever I do to it will probably need some tuning adjustments. Now I don't know much about these cars but I would assume there are a few ponies that can be had just through proper tuning. Most cars are tuned down from the factory.

So when a vender sends me a tune, how do I load it into the car? Via laptop and software or is there a handheld tuner device that needs to be purchased. I don't have a laptop but I'm sure I can use one if I need to. On my Mustang I purchased a handheld tuner that I hooked up to my PC, loaded tunes on it, and then plugged it into my car and loaded the tune into the ECU. Just wondering what the actual process was. I'm not actually going to mess with fuel maps/trim, ignition timing, or anything like that by myself, but there are other adjustments that I do on my Mustang that I can make pretty safely. I also have the ability to data log with my Mustang's handheld unit. This allows me to make minor adjustments to fuel and timing as long as I stay within safe parameters. I just need someone to explain what capabilities we have with these cars and process in going about making changes.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Both options (handheld device or laptop w/ cable) are available.
And which handheld is the best/most popular with the tuners? Or do I see who I want to tune the car and get whatever they use. I only have experience with Diablo and SCT.

Are there any quick easy mods for me to do to help with performance? I read about the solenoid bypass for the turbo already. Besides that, how do these cars react to simple bolt on mods? Electric H2O pumps, under drive pulleys, headers, CAI's? Just real new to these cars and their characteristics. I'm a decent mechanic. I've done everything on my Mustang except the rear end gear myself. Suspension, twin screw supercharger, headers, etc., so I will be doing most of the work myself. It will probably be a good while before I do anything major, just was wondering what simple easy stuff I can do in the meantime.
Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My two cents, 07Boss, although I am biased based on my experience. The only hand held device that I am aware of is Superchips. Most folks go with the following types of tunes. Westers, Trifecta or a HPTuners. Other quality vendors like DDMWorks and Performance Autowerks use HPtuners to tune and provide tuning to support their products.

If you want to do it yourself and want to get in the bowels of tuning get HPTuners and get a quality HPTuner to help you or get you started. Westers may use HPTuners as well?

Trifecta uses its own proprietary software that is not as limited as HPTuners. Not to say the right person can't do a great tune with HPTuners, just some additional bells and whistles like toggling your tune on and off with the cruise control or traction control button are available with Trifecta. If you purchase/rent the cable you can use our product on Windows based laptops to load and datalog your tune and reload adjustments. You can also read and reset codes. Datalog review and tune updates are handled through email. There is also a log viewer for datalogs available. You cannot change the tune yourself. You can request options but tuning must be executed by Trifecta. You are welcome to PM if you would like more information.

In regards to your last post a tune is by far your best mod and necessary for other mods. After that an upgraded turbo. There are many threads on mods describing learn down etc.

·
Registered
413 Posts
BrentnKC glad to see your post local friend. I saw your comment about being able to toggle the tune on and off and found it intriguing. Do I understand that correctly? If someone who let's say had an uber extended warranty through CarMax and was afraid of voiding their warranty with a tune ... Could this make it a "stealth" tune? Would there be other telltales perhaps easily covered or removed? I assume that would not be part of a budget tune. What else can you say about that feature? Does it load the regular tune or something? I would think that the feature alone could be very helpful in troubleshooting because many people seem to suspect their tune as one possible fault point.

Edumacate me please.

·
Registered
6,936 Posts
BrentnKC glad to see your post local friend. I saw your comment about being able to toggle the tune on and off and found it intriguing. Do I understand that correctly? If someone who let's say had an uber extended warranty through CarMax and was afraid of voiding their warranty with a tune ... Could this make it a "stealth" tune? Would there be other telltales perhaps easily covered or removed? I assume that would not be part of a budget tune. What else can you say about that feature? Does it load the regular tune or something? I would think that the feature alone could be very helpful in troubleshooting because many people seem to suspect their tune as one possible fault point.

Edumacate me please.
My understanding from Vince is that his program mods reside in a different way/area in the ECM and are hard to find. (I wonder if the Tech 2 tool won't reveal multiple reflashing, but it wouldn't be able to read his mods themselves)

When you switch off the Trifecta tune (assuming you bought the stealth version) you revert to whatever programming your car had before you added the Trifecta tune - usually stock or sometimes GMPP.

·
Registered
4,189 Posts
07Boss.... These cars are VERY finicky compared to the Mustang!!! Don't do ANYTHING to it unless you have help or are a moderate tuner. I also had a Mustang and they were simple. These are almost rocket science level (but of course your driving a rocket ship with one of these anyway!!) I've only been a member just under 2 months (and only had my car that long) and have learned a great deal here and at hptuners. I was lucky enough to purchase my car with a tune in it. And I'm leaving "well enough" alone. If you have the GXP, a nice tune would be the GMPP tune. It's a little pricey (about $900 from the dealership I called) but I believe it gets rid of the "learn down" mode. These are a great group of guys here, don't be afraid to ask questions!

GODROD - A "stealth" Trifecta tune only works when you use one of the designated buttons with his stealth tune. You get to choose either the cruise or the traction control button. Does it mean that its invisible to a field service engineer....good question. I can't answer that one. That's one you'd have to ask him. Let us know!! I know my tune is blatently obvious....

SEG. 1 - 12612664 (06 or 07 factory GXP tune)
SEG. 2 - 12619548 (06 or 07 factory GXP tune)
SEG. 3 - 82537428 ???????
SEG. 4 - 82537428 ???????

And I have an '08.....LOL.... All I know is its a :devil: ;)

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
GODROD. Nice to see your are local. Give me call sometime and you can see how it works and try it on Coupe. Wspohn is correct. The toggle works as described between stock tune and Trifecta tune. Good point -it is nice for troubleshooting. The safest bet for returning for dealer work is to reload stock tune. Some vehicles keep track of number of reflashes but if not a large number of them you should be okay. For KC folks, I have a fair dealer that I work with for folks that I have installed Trifecta tune.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts