Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out running some errands and took the opportunity to stop by my local Pontiac dealership to inquire if they had been given any info. on the release of pricing info.(or anything) Now it was a Sat. afternoon and the "A" team was probably off, but this is what transpired.
I was met by a young guy at the door who looked real hungry to make a deal. I stopped him before he even got started into his pitch by the simple question " Got any pricing info. on the Solstice?" He said "say what?" He then looked around the place for some help. I looked around and everyone in the place is reading the newspaper or is on the phone. The guy looked back at me and said "What's a Solstice?" I asked in a somewhat louder voice,"Does anyone here know anything about the Solstice?" I heard someone mumble from the back, "yeah that the new car that will be out next year." Finally the asst. manager comes up and tells me that they don't know much about it, but had heard it was going to be pretty nice. I thanked them and said just before leaving that they had a bit of homework to do in the next several months before they got the car in. Is your dealership any better informed?
I didn't really expect to get any new info., but I sure expected them to know something about the car. :mad Oh well. I have a bad feeling that these cars will have a 2-3K market adjustment added to the bottom line and that we will know twice as much about the car and its short history than will the person selling them. If your are one of the early buyers...Good luck!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Dealers are turning out to be about the worst source of info there is. There have been many posts of dealers giving erroneous information. I myself was told the Solstice would be "priced around 17 thousand, but won't come with a/c for that", which just made me realize that this forum is way more helpful than any Pontiac salesman, except maybe GTOJ!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I called a salesman that sold me a vehicle in the past and he seemed to be pretty knowledgeable about the car.

As far as pricing information, I imagine the various websites like intellichoice and others will have them posted as soon as GM makes them available. Some of them already have placeholders for the car. For example:

http://www.carsdirect.com/research/pontiac/solstice/2006/base/pricing

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AztekzRpurty said:
Dealers are turning out to be about the worst source of info there is. There have been many posts of dealers giving erroneous information. I myself was told the Solstice would be "priced around 17 thousand, but won't come with a/c for that", which just made me realize that this forum is way more helpful than any Pontiac salesman, except maybe GTOJ!
I for one would like to hear from GTOJ as to what info. about the Solstice is being passed along to the dealerships. I can't believe at this late date that Pontiac has kept its sales staff in the dark about the car? I guess stranger things have happened.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow ! One would think car salesmen would go to shows and read magazines and basically be up on their products and cars in general.

They blow future deals by being in the dark...if they knew something and befriended you maybe they could make a sale in 6 months. Nature of the sales biz to think about this week's paycheck I guess.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can tell you I never did intend to stop by my local dealer. I'm hoping a good internet friendly dealer will come along like the vette guys have. My local honda dealer is pretty horrible as well. They have a 02 S2k they still want 27999 for. Good luck when you can buy a new one for around 30K.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
mceb said:
Wow ! One would think car salesmen would go to shows and read magazines and basically be up on their products and cars in general.

They blow future deals by being in the dark...if they knew something and befriended you maybe they could make a sale in 6 months. Nature of the sales biz to think about this week's paycheck I guess.
I get the feeling most car salespeople are not very big enthusiasts. I have rarely run into a salesman that was very knowledgeable about the vehicles he was selling. I have always known more about the car I was looking at than the salesman was.

Since the car isn’t even on the lot yet, they6 really do not have a clue. If they cannot sell it that day, they don’t know it exists.

I am sure GM has shown pictures, specs, probably good estimates on pricing, etc to the dealers at its annual meetings. Its common for auto companies to keep dealers well informed about what is in the pipeline. However, I doubt that information gets disseminated down the line at the dealer. The owner, or General Manager, or some other higher up at a dealer may know some things about it. Even then they may not remember details. Again, they are not selling it now so they are not too concerned.

IMO dealers are the necessary evil in the auto business. You have to go to them for the car, and you are stuck with them for the warranty, but the more you see them the worse off you are. Its too bad you cannot order cars factory direct!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Ooh, what a rare beast the informed vehicle salesman is! LOL

I could tell many stories about the ridiculous experiences I have had at dealerships over the years. Yeah, not many enthusiasts among the typical sales staffs.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Ooh, what a rare beast the informed vehicle salesman is! LOL

I could tell many stories about the ridiculous experiences I have had at dealerships over the years. Yeah, not many enthusiasts among the typical sales staffs.

Just a quick example. I once had a Salesman show me the “standard fog lights.” I hated to burst his bubble, but he was pointing to the turn signals! There were no standard fog lights on the car. :jester

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Just a quick example. I once had a Salesman show me the “standard fog lights.” I hated to burst his bubble, but he was pointing to the turn signals! There were no standard fog lights on the car. :jester
LOL. Classic.
I once got into a big fight with a female Ford salesperson about 10 years ago. I had asked what different final drive ratios were available to the manual or auto Mustang GT. Not only did she not know what I was talking about, not know where to even look for such info, she tried to tell me there was no differences or optional ratios. When I showed her in her own book, she then told me there is no reason she should know that as no one would ever ask. I got angry and said "Well I did and perhaps you haven't served your customers well, by not knowing and being able to suggest the best option for their needs?" I said, " you only have about two pickups, 1 SUV and about 8 passenger vehicles to think about, how much less work could their be to be knowledgable in your job?

Funny thing is she called me later, thanked me for making her a better sales person and we kept in touch for a couple of years after! :lol

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Lol, that is a good one too! Its funny how salespeople know so little about what they are trying to sell! You’d think they would want to know as many positive features as possible to really play up the car.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
What strikes me is that when she didn't know the answer to your question, she tried to lie and tell you there was no optional ratios. Most of my "dumb salesman" stories have that common link. When confronted with a question that they don't now the answer to, make something up and swear by it! Perhaps it's an extension of the deceptions that are played out during the buying/selling process. :mad

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Bottom line- it's easier to take good sales people and try to make them into car enthusisats than it is to take car enthusiasts and turn them into good sales people. Car fans ususaly make crappy sales people. Being informed about the product is imporatant, but not nessisary for about 90% of sales. A good sales person knows that the best thing to do when stumped is to look the information up and admit that they don't know.

I have had that experience. I have gone to dealers and had the sales people go, "I don't know", or "explain what you mean by that" and then look it up (sometimes with my help). I appreciate this much more than those that will make up a lie to placate you. The liers are just lazy, and poor sales people that don't realy care about their job, and you get this with any entry level job. I used to expect them to know their stuff, but these days I just hope they don't lie to me. If they do, I leave. I live in a big metropolitian area and there are lots of other dealers.

As far as the Solstice goes, I'm not even going to talk face to face to a dealer about it. All the information I need to know will be here, or other places on the net. I plan to make my deal by phone and fax. Hopefully the only time I will deal with the dealer is when I pick it up. I know going there now is a big waste of time, unless you really want to know what it would take to get you into a left over Sunbird that day! :banghead

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Hmm, we seem to be getting a bit off topic, but that’s ok I suppose. We haven’t gotten too strict about such things around here:

The funny thing about making good salespeople into car enthusiast is that many are lousy salespeople. A few years back I went with my grandfather to help him negotiate a deal on a new truck. He had always just walked in and paid sticker for his cars (and he has always driven either Chrysler of GM products too!) I couldn’t let him throw away extra money.

We ordered the truck, and negotiated a price of say $20,000 on a $23,000 truck (for the sake of argument, I do not remember the exact amounts). When the truck arrived, the sticker was cheaper than the dealer had figured due to an option discount added by the factory, so it’s MSRP was actually about $22,500.

The salesman did not want to drop the purchase price an equivalent amount to $19,500! I told him the truck was cheaper, and we were not asking for any more off their bottom line. We just wanted the additional factory discount. He went into a lecture on how I was not “in the business” and didn’t understand “how it worked.” He told me it doesn’t matter what we call the original price, and we could say the truck cost $58,000. Oh, was I fuming mad. I threatened to walk out, and we did leave without completing the deal, saying we would have to reconsider. The next day I was called by the dealers sales manager who wanted to talk. I went in and explained what had happened. He was very apologetic, and decided to double the factory discount, dropping the purchase price to $19,000. So we took the truck. However, they nearly lost the sale over a condescending salesman.

I was not surprised to find out a year later that salesman was no longer with them. I wonder why?

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
You've hit on a tactic I've used more than once. Don't just threaten, just get in your car and drive away. They have their games ("I have to keep checking with my manager") and it's we have ours. Carry with you their best offer paper work and say something like, "If that's the best you can do, perhaps I'll to get back to you." Once, I carried that paper work into another dealer. They wouldn't beat it so I asked for the free TV they said I'd get if they couldn't beat anyone's price. Never got the TV but I returned to the first dealer knowing I was getting a good deal. Another time there was a message on the answering machine before I got home, saying they would come down another $500. God, why do they make us play such a silly game?!

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Since we are talking dealers and deals; How are you going to deal with the market adjustment that I have little doubt will be tacked to the bottom line? There is a thread on the Z06 site where someone found a C-6 coupe with a 12K market adjustment added on the bottom line. I think the added market adjustment price speaks volumes about the dealership. Maybe I don't understand the car selling bussiness, but as a customer I understand a rip off when I see one. I know a lot of you have said unequivocally that you will not pay more than MSRP. Will you hold out until you find it, or will you knuckle under to the fever of having this car in front of you? It's going to take some real resolve, but I think I can hold out. Anyway I want forced induction, so maybe that will make it easier? Maybe not, as I expect there will be a bunch of other people that want that option too!

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Chip said:
Since we are talking dealers and deals; How are you going to deal with the market adjustment that I have little doubt will be tacked to the bottom line?
I found a local Pontiac dealer who I've been e-mailing requesting info about Solstice etc. After a few e-mails back and forth I asked him straight up about market adjustments (mentioned the GTO). He swears it's the policy of their dealership never to do markups. Hopefully this will hold up when the time comes but I'd say fish around, strike up some conversations with a few dealers and be frank about it...there are reasonable dealers out there (I hope).

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
mceb said:
...but I'd say fish around, strike up some conversations with a few dealers and be frank about it...there are reasonable dealers out there (I hope).
I agree, but it was "that thought" (fishing around) that lead to this post being started in the first place :banghead I guess it makes sense to identify people that you feel confortable with, but in general terms it's hard for me to get warm and fuzzy with someone I don't trust in the first place. I hope that will change, but I have found in the past that by knowing what the dealer has in the car helps move a deal along. It will not be helpful that this will be a hot car and brand new. That smug look on a salesman face as he tells you "that if you don't want it for that price someone else will" really is hard to take. I have resolve....I think, I hope?

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Best advice that I have been recommended by a doctor friend of mine that buys several new cars every year. Find a small dealer, privately owned and in your neighborhood and talk only to the owner. Tell him in real words what you want to happen. Tell him that you appreciate that he needs to make a profit, but you don't need to finance all of the knuckle draggers that enter his store.

If he refuses, thank him. And do not ever come back! And tell everyone who can walk/talk or has a telephone what they have done.

If this doesn't make you feel good, the internet has folks that will sell you this car 4 less USD that the owner you contacted.

My dealer, here in the middle frozen Arkansas will take your deposit.

Steve

·
Registered
533 Posts
Option 1: Buy from a dealer and salesperson you've had good a sales experience with in the past.

Option 2: If you have not yet had a good sales experience at a Pontiac dealer, there should be dealers selling on the internet without mark ups. Show that to your local dealer. If he/she doesn't offer it at MSRP or slightly under, buy from the internet salesperson if you can tolerate the extra distance you may need to travel to take delivery.

Option 3: Wait 4 to 5 months after the car has hit the showroom. The mark ups should be gone.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts