Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We have 2 issues going on right now which I have not had time to look into how to fix, so I just thought I'd ask anyone here if they'd had the same things and how they fixed them.

Squeak #1. It appears to be the rear paint color panel just above the CD storage bin. It squeaks kind of like a styrofoam sound. It happens with the top down or up, but is much more noticable with the top up (since it's quieter inside). Again, I haven't had time to look at what to do, but I was thinking about either wedging something in from the sides to keep it tighter, or pulling off the panel, put some thin weather stripping on the back, then re-attaching it.

Squeak #2. This is more of a metal on metal shrill squeak only when the top is down. I have noticed a similar sound when we put the top down and give it that last push to make sure it's all the way down. So my guess is its touching something in there. If it's related like I'm hoping I should be able to find it with a few "test pushings" so to speak.

Anyone else have these issues? If so, what were the culprits and how did you fix them?

Thanks ---- Bonzo

·
Registered
511 Posts
Bonzo said:
We have 2 issues going on right now which I have not had time to look into how to fix, so I just thought I'd ask anyone here if they'd had the same things and how they fixed them.

Squeak #1. It appears to be the rear paint color panel just above the CD storage bin. It squeaks kind of like a styrofoam sound. It happens with the top down or up, but is much more noticable with the top up (since it's quieter inside). Again, I haven't had time to look at what to do, but I was thinking about either wedging something in from the sides to keep it tighter, or pulling off the panel, put some thin weather stripping on the back, then re-attaching it.

Squeak #2. This is more of a metal on metal shrill squeak only when the top is down. I have noticed a similar sound when we put the top down and give it that last push to make sure it's all the way down. So my guess is its touching something in there. If it's related like I'm hoping I should be able to find it with a few "test pushings" so to speak.

Anyone else have these issues? If so, what were the culprits and how did you fix them?

Thanks ---- Bonzo
I drove mine all weekend
I think the squeak is it being so tight.
Its a real tight car.Put together real solid.

·
Registered
73 Posts
ok, I have the same #1 squeek. Don't know about the whole "it's a tight car idea" however it's very anoying. I don't think i've ever heard a ferrari or prosche squeeking, and I beleive those are very "tight" cars. As for our wonderfully noisy roadster, between the clunks and squeeks, I choose to crank the radio and ignore them cause I absolutely love the car however, if someone does know how to stop these pestering sounds please let us know. ;)

·
Registered
141 Posts
Squeek Freek

I hate squeeks !! I think I have one in the dash around the speedometer bezel.
Only driven a few days & I'm still trying to pinpoint location & cause.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have squeek number 1. It is irritating, but I'm willing to overlook it because the rest of the car is so great :)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
For those that have the "squeek #1", have you checked to see if either the driver or passenger seat is reclined all the way against the back of the cock pit? If either seat is rubbing on the back wall, it will create an annoying squeeking sound. Easy fix, just scoot forward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, problem solved. Otherwise, I have not noticed any squeeks from the storage box or color panel on mine.

I'm in the same boat with $$isking, I have a squeek in the instrament bezels. You can only notice it with the top up and cruising on the freeway. I confirmed my squeek was in the bezels by just grabbing on to the bezels and giving them a tug. Sure enough, it makes the same squeek. It's the sound of hard plastic binding against other hard plastic. I'm too lazy to do anything about it or hassle with the dealer, so if any of you guys with this squeek do anything about it, I'd love to know what's involved.

·
Registered
95 Posts
AeroDave said:
For those that have the "squeek #1", have you checked to see if either the driver or passenger seat is reclined all the way against the back of the cock pit? If either seat is rubbing on the back wall, it will create an annoying squeeking sound. Easy fix, just scoot forward about 1/8 to 1/4 inch, problem solved. Otherwise, I have not noticed any squeeks from the storage box or color panel on mine.

I had the squeak #1 after my wife moved the passenger seat up a little. The side of the seat was rubing against the arm rest. Moving the seat back cured the problem. Apparently the leather of the sats will cause squeaks when thay rub against something. I don't think this is a problem with the cloth.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For squeak #1, we have tried moving the seats forward and backward with no success yet. I haven't had much time to play with it though.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I have a squeek but my wife tells me it's a loose nut behind the wheel! :lol: Other than that problem, my Sol has been very quiet.

·
Registered
439 Posts
:agree: LOL

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
Heard the first squeak the first day I drove the car on 12/7. It was the passenger seat butting up against the plastic. It still squeaks.
The 2nd squeak was heard today, top down, very annnoying, on my left. Can't pinpoint it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
I got squeek number 2.

When you press the top down to make sure it is in, it has a really harsh sound. Its when i press down on the top near the sides to make sure it is seated. Doesnt happen on the driver side. only on the passenger side. I have no idea what it is, and I sure would like to figure it out.
I found it today as I put the top down for the first time.

Bonzo, is it a REALLY tough fit when you are pressing the top into the trunk?
cuz mine really is.

·
Registered
7,205 Posts
Squeak number 2 is the pin on the top where it rubs against the metal if the Velcro has come off. There were pictures in another thread. I find if you push down on the end of the top that is closest to the rear when it is folded that you can get it to seat better and the squeak should be gone.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
JustMike said:
Squeak number 2 is the pin on the top where it rubs against the metal if the Velcro has come off.
Hey JustMike,

Where exactly is the velcro part you are talking about? I'd like to address this issue and correct it a.s.a.p.

Thanks!!
Dylan

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
dylan01 said:
Hey JustMike,

Where exactly is the velcro part you are talking about? I'd like to address this issue and correct it a.s.a.p.

Thanks!!
Dylan
lol, i never thought i would be quoting myself!

Thanks to justmike, I have corrected my shreak in the top when lowering it.

alright, i had the squeak when lowering the top.
I am glad to report I have fixed it.

The tabs in which the top rest on when you press it down did not have the velcro on it. it had been torn off and the pins from the roof were rubbing on the tabs. I simply took off the piece of velcro and re positioned it and pressed it on REAL hard. It is perfectly placed now.

When I lower it in and press it down, the top slides into position real nice.
You think the factory would have a better solution other than 2 pieces of velcro!

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
YES!!!

I had been driven buggy by squeak number 2, and was lubing everything in the top supports like crazy. I couldn't get the top to make the noise by hand, only when I went over a real good bump.

That little velcro tab was sure enough folded over. I am so freakin' happy!!:willy:

·
Registered
296 Posts
SolsticeMan said:
glider rider had a chirp... which turned out to be a friend's cell phone that he lost in the car and was running on a low battery... :lol: ;)
That thread was removed/deleted, and I thought - never to be mentioned again. :lol:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts