Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Check out the Ferrari Superamerica. It's down on the right hand side on the page linked below. It's a great idea for a hard top covertible that doesn't take up any trunk space. The problem with Solstice would be the humps on the trunk. You could eliminate them at the expense of the looks of the car but it is one idea of how to get a hard top convertible on short rear end car. I just went back and looked at the video again and had an idea about what to do with the humps. Put them to the outside like they are shown on the Ferrari. Picture it after you see the video and post what you think. I think that would make a great looking hard top Solstice. I hope the people at Pontiac are reading these post and listening to what we think of this car.

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/video.aspx?xml=streaming&shw=autoshow2005

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting idea but it would totally take the Solstice out of its "affordable" price range and "back to basics" philosophy. Coupe, maybe some time in the future. But I'm 100% certain the hardtop convertible won't happen for the Solstice or Sky (and for that I'm happy). Am I crazy to think this?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be an option made available later. I know that several people here expressed an interset in a hard top convertible and no one could figure out how it could be done. I think this shows just how it would be possible. Car makers are always looking for ways to make changes to their models every year and this would certaintly create some excitement in a later model year.

·
Registered
120 Posts
What about an optional detachable hardtop (a la Miata, S2000, Boxster, etc.)? It would offer a lot of the benefits of a fixed roof while still keeping the car simple & light (and, importantly, not affect the base price of the car). I'm curious if this would even be possible given the shape of the rear decklid...

·
Registered
31 Posts
I agree

summersolstice said:
Check out the Ferrari Superamerica. It's down on the right hand side on the page linked below. It's a great idea for a hard top covertible that doesn't take up any trunk space. The problem with Solstice would be the humps on the trunk. You could eliminate them at the expense of the looks of the car but it is one idea of how to get a hard top convertible on short rear end car. I just went back and looked at the video again and had an idea about what to do with the humps. Put them to the outside like they are shown on the Ferrari. Picture it after you see the video and post what you think. I think that would make a great looking hard top Solstice. I hope the people at Pontiac are reading these post and listening to what we think of this car.

http://autoshow.msn.com/as/video.aspx?xml=streaming&shw=autoshow2005
I totally agree with you! But if GM is reading our posts, they are probably laughing because we think we can get all this at a 20k price.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I think I just heard Brentil's head ::pop:: Maybe that was mine.

daddyking said:
I totally agree with you! But if GM is reading our posts, they are probably laughing because we think we can get all this at a 20k price.
Exactly!

A hard top Solstice, a price under $20K dollars? Not going to happen. Period. A top like that new Ferrari's? LOL. Certainly not going to happen on the Solstice.

Lutz has stated that the mission for this car is to be an affordable "back to basics" roadster. That means they spent the bulk of their money on developing the car to be a great performing, fun to drive roadster. To make it affordable, they cannot fill it with all kinds of new, expensive ammenities.

People who want a small hardtop roadster, DOHC V6 engines, all kinds of electronic equipment, etc etc are shopping the wrong car. This isn't the Solstice, and it won't be the Solstice in the foreseable future. GM is not working on a hardtop for the Solstice.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Fformula88 said:
IPeople who want a small hardtop roadster, DOHC V6 engines, all kinds of electronic equipment, etc etc are shopping the wrong car. This isn't the Solstice, and it won't be the Solstice in the foreseable future. GM is not working on a hardtop for the Solstice.
Exactly. There is vehicles like that already available for those who want it. They just cost twice the price. That is reality. This type of thinking is what destroys great cars and makes fat cats like the T-bird, Cougars, etc..

·
Registered
753 Posts
Darkhamr said:
Exactly. There is vehicles like that already available for those who want it. They just cost twice the price. That is reality. This type of thinking is what destroys great cars and makes fat cats like the T-bird, Cougars, etc..
:thumbs
do we really need the weight of a power hard top in a solstice, even if they could do it within the $$$budget?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got back from the Salt Lake Auto Show again and noted something interesting. The compartment between and behind the Solstice seats with the lid you lift up to yank on the plastic trunk opening device taken from other GM cars and used here to pop open the rear deck.... is taken from the 2 seat Cadillac convertable. Not a surprise since GM is using lots of existing parts to keep the costs down.

But in the Caddy there is no top button or anything more than a divider to help you store more maps and stuff. It's a useful cubby and well designed.

Could it be that's the intended purpose in the Solstice, too, And it just happens to be a good place to hide a jury-rigged hatch lock on a show car?

Maybe there will be an electric latch leading to a hatch covering a retractable hard top. The top layout is like to old Ford Sunliner retractables with the hatch hinged from the back. Since that's a given and the Solstice top will not have to double fold down into a deep well behind the seats could it be the top material will be hard and it needs all that extra wide flat space to be stored?

A plastic panel doesn't have to be much heavier or more expensive than a fabric one and can actually be more rigid contributing to a stronger quieter top structure so the top material is less of a factor if we know itdoesn't have to fold.

Lots of people have been hoping for a retractable top. We know Pontiac has chosen a non-traditional style top mechanism from the shape of the top storage layout and the rear hinges of the hatch. Why would they do that if they didn't need to sacrifice the trunk space?

I'm voting hard/retractable!

·
Registered
10 Posts
ho2go said:
What about an optional detachable hardtop (a la Miata, S2000, Boxster, etc.)? It would offer a lot of the benefits of a fixed roof while still keeping the car simple & light (and, importantly, not affect the base price of the car). I'm curious if this would even be possible given the shape of the rear decklid...
A hard top ala Honda 2000 would work well on the Solstice with the exception of no trunk access at all. Does anyone know what the Hardtop costs for the Honda?

·
Registered
172 Posts
GA73 said:
A hard top ala Honda 2000 would work well on the Solstice with the exception of no trunk access at all. Does anyone know what the Hardtop costs for the Honda?

if you look you can usually find a new one for @ 2500.00

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have been thinking about this top deal a good bit. What if you put a hard top on the car and replaced the rear deck lid with a shorter one? The lid would seal to the back of the top instead of coming all the way up to the passenger compartment. Pull the soft top out and bingo a coupe with plenty of storage space.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never said it could be done for 20K. Just that it might be a future option when GM is looking to make the inevitable changes that it makes to every model. Once you add on options to the stripped down Solstice it's going to be a lot more than 20K unless you just want a basic model. Maybe at only 20K it comes in a box and you have to assemble it at home,with glue being extra. lol

Fformula88 said:
I think I just heard Brentil's head ::pop:: Maybe that was mine.

Exactly!

A hard top Solstice, a price under $20K dollars? Not going to happen. Period. A top like that new Ferrari's? LOL. Certainly not going to happen on the Solstice.

Lutz has stated that the mission for this car is to be an affordable "back to basics" roadster. That means they spent the bulk of their money on developing the car to be a great performing, fun to drive roadster. To make it affordable, they cannot fill it with all kinds of new, expensive ammenities.

People who want a small hardtop roadster, DOHC V6 engines, all kinds of electronic equipment, etc etc are shopping the wrong car. This isn't the Solstice, and it won't be the Solstice in the foreseable future. GM is not working on a hardtop for the Solstice.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
summersolstice said:
I never said it could be done for 20K. Just that it might be a future option when GM is looking to make the inevitable changes that it makes to every model. Once you add on options to the stripped down Solstice it's going to be a lot more than 20K unless you just want a basic model. Maybe at only 20K it comes in a box and you have to assemble it at home,with glue being extra. lol
Its still wishful thinking. It goes against what this car is supposed to be about. A back to basics roadster. Besides, if they boost up the price a bunch and make the car bigger and heavier, I don’t think it’ll be the same car anyway.

Besides, where in 4 cubic feet of trunk space is a hardtop supposed to accordion into? They’d need more trunk room, making it inevitable the car would need to be bigger. As it grows in size and price, its power will need to grow too. Soon your trampling on the doorstep of the G6 hardtop convertible, and with considerably more power you start getting into that $30K range, exactly where Lutz does not want to be.

Maybe someday at some time they will make it with a hardtop. However, I wouldn’t hold off on purchasing a softtop in the hope that a retractable hardtop would be offered anytime in the foreseeable future.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The hard top convertible G6 has something like a little over 5 cu.ft. of trunk space, but with the roof in the trunk it has 1.8 cu.ft. left over of space. Meaning it takes up 3.2+ cu.ft. of space. You have to remember though, the G6 has the largest folding hardtop of any mass produced car. So in theory the hard top required to cover the Solstice would be considerable smaller, and feasably would fit in the trunk in about the same space.

Of course it might fit in the trunk, but it definetely doesn't fit in the $20,000 roadster price range.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
brentil said:
The hard top convertible G6 has something like a little over 5 cu.ft. of trunk space, but with the roof in the trunk it has 1.8 cu.ft. left over of space. Meaning it takes up 3.2+ cu.ft. of space. You have to remember though, the G6 has the largest folding hardtop of any mass produced car. So in theory the hard top required to cover the Solstice would be considerable smaller, and feasably would fit in the trunk in about the same space.

Of course it might fit in the trunk, but it definetely doesn't fit in the $20,000 roadster price range.
I am not so sure it would really fit, based on the pics we have seen and the volumes we know of. We already know the softtop takes the space from 4 cubes to 2. So the softtop, which can be folded, wadded, crumbled, jammed, etc into a space takes up 2 cubic feet.

With a retractable hardtop, we would likely get power too. So figure some space has to be taken up with the mechanisms to fold the top. It would also have to accordion over the gas tank, and into the well behind the tank. I dunno, I just don't see it really fitting.

The G6 also has something else taking up a lot of space. I cannot find it on the net at the moment, but I am almost positive the regular G6 coupe will have more than 5.8 cubic feet of trunk volume. Maybe the hardtop mechansisms take up the extra space.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Fformula88 said:
The G6 also has something else taking up a lot of space. I cannot find it on the net at the moment, but I am almost positive the regular G6 coupe will have more than 5.8 cubic feet of trunk volume. Maybe the hardtop mechansisms take up the extra space.
5.8 down to 1.8 on G6...
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=893

1 - 19 of 19 Posts