Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a wrecked GXP/auto and wondering about swapping the engine/tranny/ecu/bcm to my NA/manual.
It would cost a whole lot less than an LSx swap. Even figuring the cost of buying the wrecked GXP and any 'upgrades' I would want.
My question really isn't about the feasibility of this since the GXP has all the parts for the swap. I'm wondering if the BCM from the GXP would recognize the non-GXP parts of my existing car the parts would go into.
Has anyone tried/done this already?
Anyone know of problems getting things to recognize each other?
I do know about having to flash the 'new' BCM with the VIN of the car. But isn't that more for the ECU to BCM? So bringing the whole shebang from the wreck may obviate that? Or am I wrong on that. (Probably)

·
Super Moderator
7,545 Posts
@Hoosier GXP is currently selling a Sky that he did this to. He should have some insight.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sell the NA and buy a GXP, they're pretty cheap now.
Even at the 'pretty cheap now prices' around here I can't afford one. I might not even be able to afford the wrecked one. It just depends on what they want for it.

·
Registered
365 Posts
This has been done before, but probably not with a wrecked GXP. To be complete you'll need parts from both ends (bodywork, ducting, exhaust, diff, intercooler, etc.) and the middle (engine, trans, torque arm, driveshaft, wiring, etc.)

The options on the NA will make a difference as to how much else has to move. If it had ABS/stabilitrak you'll have less to move. If it already has a limited slip you may not need the diff if the VSS can be recalibrated electronically.

·
Super Moderator
7,545 Posts
Here is the thread about the NA Sky that was converted to a RL: 2008 Redline As I read it, virtually everything from the RL was transplanted into the NA.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This has been done before, but probably not with a wrecked GXP. To be complete you'll need parts from both ends (bodywork, ducting, exhaust, diff, intercooler, etc.) and the middle (engine, trans, torque arm, driveshaft, wiring, etc.)

The options on the NA will make a difference as to how much else has to move. If it had ABS/stabilitrak you'll have less to move. If it already has a limited slip you may not need the diff if the VSS can be recalibrated electronically.
If this does come to pass I would swap the diff also. That way I wouldn't have to reprogram anything.

·
Super Moderator
7,545 Posts
If this does come to pass I would swap the diff also. That way I wouldn't have to reprogram anything.
I think you would want to regardless since the 3.73:1 is a rather nicer ratio for most driving.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I got out bid. With bid price, plus fees, plus transport (even getting it myself) it was just too much for me. So maybe next time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts