Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
was all set to get the 60 month 60,000 Extended Warranty

but here in Ohio I don't put 10K a year on my truck and I use it all the time
We take out trips in my wife's Rendezvous.

Factory is 3/36 so dealer said...why not go 6/48 instead of 6/60
and save a few hundred bucks

I calculate I'll hit 6 years before I hit 48K (unlike Marco who should hit 48K by Xmas ;)

so when they ask you about the XW....think about 6/48
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,592 Posts
A little off topic, but I got the extended 5 years/100,000 miles on my Murano and it's not going to work out. I am putting more like 25,000 a year, not the 20,000 I had previously thought, so I'm going to end up running out at 4 years. Bummer for me. :( Oh well, it's just a car. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,029 Posts
That is very true Druid. Always take your mileage into consideration.

ALSO, Never buy a 3rd party warranty. In our cases(with the Solstice) buy the General Motors Protection Plan(GMPP) when you get an extended warranty.

A 3rd party pays the finance shop more(generally) so they will say that there is no difference. But there is when you take the car into the service department. The GMPP generally covers more and it can be used at any and all GM dealerships, 3rd prty's cannot.
 

·
Read Only
Joined
·
3,468 Posts
druid-2 said:
was all set to get the 60 month 60,000 Extended Warranty

but here in Ohio I don't put 10K a year on my truck and I use it all the time
We take out trips in my wife's Rendezvous.

Factory is 3/36 so dealer said...why not go 6/48 instead of 6/60
and save a few hundred bucks

I calculate I'll hit 6 years before I hit 48K (unlike Marco who should hit 48K by Xmas ;)

so when they ask you about the XW....think about 6/48
Good advice. My wife got 10 yr/100K miles on her Santa Fe. We have averaged just at 10K/year (~30,000 miles through 31 months). As it is our only car at present, I surely don't expect to exceed 8K/yr on the ol' Solstice (if/when I get it! :lol: ).

Thanks for alerting me to this option.

--Chemist (It was 21 F (-6 C) in Lubbock this morning. The ride in to the office on the bicycle was a bit "brisk" :) )
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
dealernut said:
That is very true Druid. Always take your mileage into consideration.

ALSO, Never buy a 3rd party warranty. In our cases(with the Solstice) buy the General Motors Protection Plan(GMPP) when you get an extended warranty.

A 3rd party pays the finance shop more(generally) so they will say that there is no difference. But there is when you take the car into the service department. The GMPP generally covers more and it can be used at any and all GM dealerships, 3rd prty's cannot.
Will agree. And druid-2's post makes it look like a 3rd party extended service contract is in play as the GM Protection Plan dosen't look like it offers a 60/48 combo.

Quick run down (more info at gmacfs.com or http://www.gmprotectionplan.com/)

Three coverage levels of the GM Protection Plan: Major Guard, Value Guard, and Basic Guard.

Three deductible choices: $0, $100, $200.

Five different terms with various milages:
36 Months with 45K, 54K, 60K, 75K, or 100K.
48 Months with 48K, 60K, 72K, 80K, or 100K.
60 Months with 40K, 50K, 60K, 75K, 90K, or 100K.
72 Months with 48K, 60K, 72K, 90K, or 100K
84 Months with 56K, 70K, or 84K.

As pointed out, try to match the miles to save money. For an example here are the MSRPs for the Major Guard $0 deductible for a new Solstice purchased at time of delivery (when least expensive).

60 Months or 40,000 Miles $770.
60 Months or 50,000 Miles $940.
60 Months or 60,000 Miles $1,315.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
574 Posts
I read on a previous forum that you had up to a year to purchase extended warranty. Is that correct info? So I don't have to buy at time of delivery fo the car?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
898 Posts
I thought the extened warranty was offered near the end of the the orginal 3 year warranty. If so what would the price difference be at that time compaired to getting it now????
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
solactor said:
I read on a previous forum that you had up to a year to purchase extended warranty. Is that correct info? So I don't have to buy at time of delivery fo the car?
Based on the 2006 GM Protection Plan, it looks like this:

You can purchase the GM Protection Plan until a GM car is 12 months old or 12,000 miles. There is an additional $100 cost over the price had it been purchased a time of delivery.

After 12 or 12, it can be purhcased up until the original factory warranty expires at 36 months or 36,000 miles (for Pontiacs). But it will be sold at a used car rate and will offer less and some different mileage choices.

Of course GM can also make changes to the program and costs at the beginning of the plan year, which is October 1st.
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
canoeq said:
Small Dealer,
How much for the major guard w/100 deductible for 6 years/90K?
Thanks

MSRP for GM Protection Plan Major Guard (purchased at time of delivery/ add $100 if you already have the car) as follows, talk to your dealership about what they may charge. Gave you a little more then you asked for so that you can see some options in the area at 15,000 miles per year.

72 months or 90,000 miles: $0 deductible is $2,210
72 months or 90,000 miles: $100 deductible is $1,895
72 months or 90,000 miles: $200 deductible is $1,665

60 months or 75,000 miles: $0 deductible is $1,470
60 months or 75,000 miles: $100 deductible is $1.320
60 months or 75,000 miles: $200 deductible is $1,120
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
48 -100,000

How about 48 - 100,000? My wife puts 25,000 on a year with no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you must travel a lot to put over 2K a month on that car

I'm using a Sonoma Monday to Friday

But even if I drove it to work every day I still need the truck on weekends to haul stuff to the dump

I'll be lucky to average 1000 per month in Merlin
 

·
Senior Member
Joined
·
5,641 Posts
brian carpenter said:
How about 48 - 100,000? My wife puts 25,000 on a year with no problem.

Base MSRP (and mandatory Florida selling price) for GM Protection Plan Major Guard, purchased at time of delivery ($100 extra if under 12 months old and under 12,000 miles):

48 months or 100,000 miles with $0 deductible is $2,005.

48 months or 100,000 miles with $100 deductible is $1,740.

48 months or 100,000 miles with $200 deuctible is $1,540.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
670 Posts
Thanks

And yes she does travel because her territory is south Florida from Sarasota east to other coast and everything south and has 160 reps. working for her so she has to check on them every other week. But now she looks forward to that ride! She has even learned how to pack small. :cool:
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top