Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have decided to get practical, get real, and get along by substituting the Pontiac G6 GTP Convertible for the beautiful Solstice. There are quite a number of reasons which I won't bore you with. Let's just say that the G6 Convertible (with its retractable hardtop and the 240HP 3.9L OHV V6) will satisfy my craving for a topless machine that should perform well.

I am still in the dark about the MSRP for this machine, but budgeting a mid $30k amount.

There is no disputing everyone's judgement that the Solstice exterior design is superb; I think so too. But the new G6 Convertible has a very nice interior design (although I prefer the Solstice's). The exterior looks good too but not a head-turner. The cost is going to stretch things, but I am fortunate to be able to do that.

The only BIG negative is that you all will be driving your Solstices long before I can drive the G6 Convertible. But I can wait....... I think.

I hope to drive the Solstice as soon as it is available at my dealer's showroom. So the door will be left open but I don't foresee changing my mind. As I view it, the G6 has reasonably good answers to the short-comings of the Solstice (trunk space, top design, power, cup holders, CD player, security, heated seating, etc). It also has the possibility of something over 300 HP with a FI engine, although I am not going to race the clock or anyone else. I will put my golf clubs and luggage for the weekend in the back seat!

I want to thank Troy and all of the active members of this forum for their (often) informed opinions and their answers to my questions. I have really learned a lot by logging in here every day for what seems like a year.

I wish you all total happiness with your lives, wives and Solstices. :thumbs

Bye. :leaving

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sorry to hear it Tony, but I'm sure you'll be happy with your decision. It's not like you're choosing a Gremlin or something! ;)

Of course, once you drive one you may not be able to resist... :D

·
Registered
76 Posts
hoffman said:
Well, I have decided to get practical, get real, and get along by substituting the Pontiac G6 GTP Convertible for the beautiful Solstice. There are quite a number of reasons which I won't bore you with. Let's just say that the G6 Convertible (with its retractable hardtop and the 240HP 3.9L OHV V6) will satisfy my craving for a topless machine that should perform well.

I am still in the dark about the MSRP for this machine, but budgeting a mid $30k amount.

There is no disputing everyone's judgement that the Solstice exterior design is superb; I think so too. But the new G6 Convertible has a very nice interior design (although I prefer the Solstice's). The exterior looks good too but not a head-turner. The cost is going to stretch things, but I am fortunate to be able to do that.

The only BIG negative is that you all will be driving your Solstices long before I can drive the G6 Convertible. But I can wait....... I think.

I hope to drive the Solstice as soon as it is available at my dealer's showroom. So the door will be left open but I don't foresee changing my mind. As I view it, the G6 has reasonably good answers to the short-comings of the Solstice (trunk space, top design, power, cup holders, CD player, security, heated seating, etc). It also has the possibility of something over 300 HP with a FI engine, although I am not going to race the clock or anyone else. I will put my golf clubs and luggage for the weekend in the back seat!

I want to thank Troy and all of the active members of this forum for their (often) informed opinions and their answers to my questions. I have really learned a lot by logging in here every day for what seems like a year.

I wish you all total happiness with your lives, wives and Solstices. :thumbs

Bye. :leaving
The G6 convertible hardtop is still on my list (albeit # 5) as a potential replacement for my current ride, but the lack of trunk space with the top down is a major negative. :(

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Sorry to see you go hoffman but good luck with the G6. The power hard top will be real nice but remember it does eat up a ton of trunk even in the G6 :cheers

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
If the G6 better suits your needs, than by all means get it. I am excited about the G6 coupe and vert too! The new 3.9L V6 sounds like a wonderful engine, and who wouldn't like an affordable hardtop convertable?

I saw an estimate in MT of about $28,000 for a starting price on the convertable G6 (with the 3.5L engine). So you may be able to get one equipped how you want for under your $35K estimate.

I just want to warn you of two things to consider. Trunk space really isn't as good as I would have expected. 5.8 cubic feet with the top up (compared to 4 for the Sol) and 1.8 cubes top down (2 for the Sol). Fortunately you still have the back seat to toss things you need to haul. The second is that the 6 speed manual is supposedly only going to be available in the GXP coupe, and not the Convertable. If you don't mind the automatic, thats not a big deal either.

Just watch out when you drive the Sol! You may walk out of the dealer in one! :D

Best of luck on the G6 if that is what you end up getting! Its going to be one nice mid-size convertable! :cheers

·
Premium Member
10,409 Posts
Good luck hoffman, but if you change your mind sometime in June after the RIDE..... let us know, but if that is not the case ENJOY the G6. By the way have you considered the SSR?, that's another sort off convertible. :smile

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your kind thoughts, gents. Have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
hoffman said:
Tony, you don't have to be a stranger, you know. You are as welcome here as the rest of us. Just because we are here doesn't mean we are all going to be able to get the Sol in our garage. The G6 retract is on my radar, too, but as a replacement for the '03 Grand Prix GTP my wife drives. The Solstice, if it comes about, would be an addition to the herd. That's why it may have to wait till the daughter is out of college and married (already scheduled). Maybe you'll have to think about spearheading a forum on your new selection. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
46 Posts
Please, do not become a stranger

hoffman said:
A lot of us here may be looking at Pontiac for the first time in a long time, thanks to the Solstice. Now that we are looking at Pontiac, that G6 Convertible Coupe sounds very interesting.

I am sure many of us would enjoy a quick post with your feedback once you have one in your garage.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Take care Tony. I do hope you'll feel inclined to visit the forum now and then to touch bases. As far as the G6- I think you can brag about that here also! I hope you enjoy the car and it works out that it's the best one for your needs.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Man sorry to hear that Tony. But the G6 convertible is going to be a great machine in it's own right. You can not beat a hardtop convertible. The Solstice is a sports car the G6 convertible a little more of a cruiser. Hey if you want to e-mail me I can give you info on the G6 convertible as I receive it.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would strongly recommend getting a solstice and a relatively inexpensive daily driver....

There is no way the G6 convertible will satisfy your sports car craving and I speak from experience....

Don't do it!!!! (kidding but some truth to what I'm saying..)

All kidding aside....Best of luck but you might want to listen to this old man....

Get the car you really want ...

Hell a Solstice at 24 grand....leaves 6 grand for a nice daily driver with 4 seats if thats what you need...

JMO

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
At Houston, watched that hard top fold into the trunk three times 'cuz it was a huge Gizmo Rush! Also liked the amount of back seat leg room due to the neat front seat backs. And the pillarless coupe look with the top up was sweet!
Trunk space really isn't as good as I would have expected. 5.8 cubic feet with the top up (compared to 4 for the Sol) and 1.8 cubes top down (2 for the Sol). Fortunately you still have the back seat to toss things you need to haul. The second is that the 6 speed manual is supposedly only going to be available in the GXP coupe, and not the Convertable. If you don't mind the automatic, thats not a big deal either.
Pretty sure the sign next to the car said you could get the 6 speed on the convertable. And don't worry about the 1.8 cu ft top down number. If the stuff is compressible, it looks like the top might also function as a trash compactor! :smile

1 - 13 of 13 Posts