Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You think you have it bad waiting for a Solstice. Well it is even worse if you want to own a Mustang. They are at full production and are still falling steadily behind on demand. How about a backlog of 14,000 retail orders (30,000 dealer orders). They are telling their dealers to quit selling the cars - they can't build them fast enough.

I can see folks being mad that GM doesn't build a Camaro, but as for people complaining about the not-yet-produced Solstice, be thankful you don't want a Ford Mustang...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=15444

And to add my usual salt in the wound, THIS is what superior styling can do for a car. If the GTO was gorgeous, it would be selling out at above MSRP as well.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Wow! :eek: That will make for some long lines!

I guess we can all ignore anyone on this site who cancels their order to go get a Mustang! Fat chance!!

Your opinion on styling is certainly valid! Just adding the hood scoup and dual exhausts to the GTO has done wonders. Sales are way up, and GM has no rebates or finance incentives on the car anymore. You can still get one with their GM employee for anybody discount this month, but most of their other cars also offer rebates and financing deals with that deal.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Wow, love the new Mustang. Glad to see it doing well and we are not the only ones playing the waiting game.

Only issue with Mustangs is there are so many of them. Like that Solstice is only 20k a year.

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Wow, love the new Mustang. Glad to see it doing well and we are not the only ones playing the waiting game.

Only issue with Mustangs is there are so many of them. Like that Solstice is only 20k a year.
No doubt, I see more than 3-4 a day already! That's in LA suburbs, how about where you guys are?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
No doubt, I see more than 3-4 a day already! That's in LA suburbs, how about where you guys are?
Yes I see a few coupes a day. No 'verts yet but don't think that model is out yet?

·
Registered
71 Posts
I see at least one GT convertible on the street every other day... record in one day so far is 3.

But I live a block away from a large Ford dealer, though, so I don't know how many of them are test drivers... If I had to guess 20% are on a test drive...

As far as New Mustangs in general... I'm probably averaging 3/day right now...

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
Yes I see a few coupes a day. No 'verts yet but don't think that model is out yet?
I see a convertible mustang I'd guess 2-3 times a week now here in LA suburbs.

I see miatas (NA and NB) less than I see the new mustang coupe.

I've only seen one other MSM in 6 months (except at a meet).

The Sol will be more like the MSM the first years, not likely to see them often if at all, and after 4-5 years will be like the miata NA or NB. The MSM will always be rare as they built only 5400+, but then again it's a derivation of the NB.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Mustang reality check

Ordered my 05 Mustang GT convertible last November...and picked up this April..luv it but can't wait for my Solstice...but guess I have too! and GM is no different than Ford...they kept changing the delivery date on my 'Stang too. I'm more excited over the Solstice..think I'm driving wife and local dealer crazy.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Ridgeback said:
Ordered my 05 Mustang GT convertible last November...and picked up this April..luv it but can't wait for my Solstice...but guess I have too! and GM is no different than Ford...they kept changing the delivery date on my 'Stang too. I'm more excited over the Solstice..think I'm driving wife and local dealer crazy.
Wow you are lucky to get both, nice.

·
4,592 Posts
Ridgeback said:
Waiting for 2 cars, either you drive something real nice already, or you must be going INSANE!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
The Ford dealer that is right across the street from the Pontiac dealer where I ordered my Solstice has about 20 to 25 Mustangs on the lot in San Leandro, CA. I can't believe that they are all sold, waiting for pick up, or demonstrators. I'm sure most are for sale. I see the coupes all over the place and see convertables almost daily now.

I wonder how much of the Mustang "shortage" is real or just market hype by Ford. The car is no doubt popular, I love it too, but a way to make a bigger impression in the media is to exagerate the demand. This also helps the salesman get his mark up. He can tell the prospective buyer "You're lucky to get this one, 'cause they're all out until next year!" I guess I would believe the shortage if the dealer lots didn't have so many on them. :skep:

·
Registered
71 Posts
The way I took it is that the factory is backlogged enough that it would take forever for a specially ordered Mustang to be delivered to the requesting customer. 30,000 of the orders they say they are backlogged on are dealer orders for stock.

That just tells me the dealers are turning them over quickly. You could probably pick one up reasonably easily at the dealer if you found what you like, but if you want to spec out every little detail, it could take some time to get it...

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am so sick of this Mustang already, its not gorgeous its dated and pathetic, with nothing innovative to bring to the table. If anything its the final straw in the Mustangs stagnation. The GTO will continue to sell as its pace over the years, the Mustang will fall off due to its "gorgiality" fadding after you see 10-12 a day like you do the older styles.

·
Registered
67 Posts
the dealership i drive by daily on my way to work and back has at least 12 lined up out front. there is no way they are all sold. my friend walked in and bought one 2 months ago on the spot. you don't get backlogged 44,000 cars in 2 months. the numbers they are reporting have to be skewed... a lot.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I see probably 10 mustangs a day now, and I don't drive but maybe 40 miles a day. I actually saw 2 identical ones going different directions at light the other day.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nocturn said:
I am so sick of this Mustang already, its not gorgeous its dated and pathetic, with nothing innovative to bring to the table. If anything its the final straw in the Mustangs stagnation. The GTO will continue to sell as its pace over the years, the Mustang will fall off due to its "gorgiality" fadding after you see 10-12 a day like you do the older styles.
No, actually it is the best looking Mustang since the '70 Mach 1. Seeing 100 a day won't make it lose it's "gorgiality" (or is that when you tend to eat until you are full. I have to check my Webster's Dictionary). Seeing 100 Mustangs a day makes them common, but not less attractive. Would seeing 100 models a day in LA make them any less attractive?

·
4,592 Posts
jimbo said:
No, actually it is the best looking Mustang since the '70 Mach 1. Seeing 100 a day won't make it lose it's "gorgiality" (or is that when you tend to eat until you are full. I have to check my Webster's Dictionary). Seeing 100 Mustangs a day makes them common, but not less attractive. Would seeing 100 models a day in LA make them any less attractive?
Maybe not less attractive, but I think most would agree too many makes them less special.

This may also hold true for models in LA :devil:

·
Registered
600 Posts
mceb said:
I've seen two convertables in our small town. I could go get one today, but why? Not really for me. Looks ok but too much room inside and still no trunk.

·
Registered
73 Posts
mceb said:
Yes my colleague has one as a rental car. The interior quality is nothing to write home about. I can tell you right now, the interior quality of the solsitce will be much better (and I have only seen the interior of the Solstice in person 1 time @ an autoshow).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts