Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

A Page A Day Keeps The Winter Away

172K views 235 replies 23 participants last post by  ChopTop 
#1 · (Edited)
Today is the first day of the meteorological winter and I will try to get through it by reading the THE PONTIAC SOLSTICE BOOK.

Written by Gary Witzenburg and publihed by http://www.lammmorada.com/
The book is still for sale from the publisher website

I intend to read a page a day and post one "quote" or "fact" of that page in this thread. So a page a day to keep the winter away
But because today is the kick off I will start with a whopping 10 pages :)

Feel free to de-rail this thread with off and on-topic replies !

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Today is special, the kick off, so not 1 page but a whopping 10 pages !

Cover:
The dust cover has a nice fancy "Premier Edition" sticker. I was so lucky to get my hands on this edition ;)

Page 1
Blank red page

Page 2
Blank white page

Page 3
The book was printed in Hong Kong

Page 4
Nice shot of a yellow Solstice that is driving on the wrong side of the road.

Page 5
Contents listing 8 chapters

Page 6
... everyone told me (Bob Lutz) it's easy to produce a sports car that costs $40.000. But to do one, especially in this day and age, that goes out the door for less than $20.000: That's almost an impossible task.

Page 7
Bob should buckle up

Page 8
Franz von Holzhausen's (btw: he was the guy throwing the metal balls at the Tesla windows) first concept sketch was of a coupe.....

Page 9
Lutz his first two seater roadster attempt was turned down by partner Mazda. But Mazda recognized that, yes, the world could use a neat little two-seater. That realization ultimately led to the Miata.

Page 10
Franz von Holzhausen's first concept sketch was of a coupe but Lutz suggested it to be turned into a roadster

#10 ·
#18 ·
Page 14
I'd (Franz von H) done maybe eight pages of sketches, kind of roadster stuff that was actually a bit geared toward Chevrolet. The assignment didn't have a brand in mind at the time: it was a generic GM roadster

Interweb image

The ultimate Solstice Family, Franz von H and Vicki von H, aka Mr Exterior and Mrs Interior

#20 · (Edited)
I contacted the publisher some years ago and suggested that if they cared to create an update for the book to include the Sky and Solstice coupes,they'd probably sell a bunch, either as a paper book or a download, but they weren't very enthusiastic.

#22 ·
Not as far as I know. He is just an author that writes automotive books and I guess he has to pick subjects that will sell.

Personally, even though I own the first (and only( edition, I'd have jumped at an update and would have bought the book all over again in a minute!

They bring between $100 and $200 now as used books!

Witzenburg has done books on Camaros, Mustangs, etc.

#24 · (Edited)
Page 15
One thing we wanted was the hood that opened like a Jaguar XKE and other sports cars of that era, because that always adds magic to the vehicle. But when you swing open a hood like that, everything underneath is exposed . . . . everything had to be aesthetically evolved and designed on the go as the car was being built.

Interweb image of a Jaguar XK-E bonnet

#27 ·
Page 17
We went to the GM parts bin for components for the showcar. The rear differential was borrowed from an awd Pontiac Aztek, the steering was Subaru Impreza WRX, the transmission was a Camaro six-speed, and most of the suspension came from the Buick Rendezvous

Interweb image Impreza WRC 2005

#28 ·
Page 18
A white-light scan of the clay model was used to create math data and quicly cut Kirksite toolsets to make the sheet metal panels. . . . That was a first and it was a really big-deal!

Interweb information and image
Kirksite is a moderate strength zinc-base alloy that was developed primarily as a forming tool alloy. Dies cast from Kirksite provide low-cost tooling because the alloy can be accurately cast, requiring a minimum of finishing. It is a special alloy material less expensive than a real steel-mold, and you can get only a couple of stampings off of each tool

#30 ·
Page 19
Early Solstice packaging drawings explored the use of major structural components from a modified Delta platform

Interweb information
Cars using Delta-1 platform:
2003–2007 Saturn Ion
2005–2010 Opel & Vauxhall Astra H, Saturn Astra
2005–2011 Opel & Vauxhall Zafira B
2005–2010 Chevrolet Cobalt
2005–2009 Pontiac G5, G4, and Pursuit
2006–2011 Chevrolet HHR