201 - 220 of 221 Posts

·
Registered
6,679 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
Although above Wikipedia page is very interesting and gives great info on a real cool car, please be aware that it is about a different car than the VX Lightning discussed in this thread.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Page 122
Concept and production sketches for the Sky came together fairly quickly once the decision was made to produce it . . . . The trick was to make the Sky different from the Solstice and yet give it a look and personality of its own . . . Solstice and Sky share the same underpinnings, but no exterior body panels interchange.

Interweb image

2003 Sky concept sketch

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Page 123
When then decision arrived to make a Saturn roadster, it came to us during the period when we were looking at building this relationship between Saturn and Opel . . . . But it wasn't till after the Sky production design was really coming together that the decision was made to also market this roadster in Europe as the Opel GT.

Interweb image

Three of the four different Kappa roadsters.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
Page 124
The VX Lightning showcar was done on a right-hand-drive version of the same cobbled-up chassis as the 2002 Solstice . . . it was mid July 2003 when Bob Lutz decided to bring it out as a Saturn . . . some felt that the second Kappa roadster should be a Saab rather than a Saturn.

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #208
Page 125
Nice shot of some clay models: Saturn designers showed unfinished clay models of the Sky in the Design Staff viewing area to give GM executives a chance to review them. This early clay lacked head- and tail lamps, and "wheels" on the bottom car were made of cardboard.

Interweb image

Note the lights and wheels.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #210
Page 126
Because of the speed we had Bob-walk-throughs every two weeks . . . Bob bought all our tradeoffs except one: The instrument panel was too similar to Solstice. Our plan was to use the same i.p., but color it differently. The Solstice, though, is more organic. The studio tried and tried, but Bob finally turned to me and said: "We've got to have two different exteriors and interiors. You have to do a new i.p."

Interweb image

Late concept interior

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
Page 126
Because of the speed we had Bob-walk-throughs every two weeks . . . Bob bought all our tradeoffs except one: The instrument panel was too similar to Solstice. Our plan was to use the same i.p., but color it differently. The Solstice, though, is more organic. The studio tried and tried, but Bob finally turned to me and said: "We've got to have two different exteriors and interiors. You have to do a new i.p."

Interweb image

Late concept interior
I am so glad that they did. The interior is the primary reason that i chose the Sky over the Solstice.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #212 (Edited)
Page 127
Page wide photo of a (computer generated) beautiful Sky image with a beautiful mountain range in the background.

Interweb image

Note the "chiclet"

·
Registered
495 Posts
I dont like the sky int at all.it reminds me of a vega. if it had the solstice interior possibly o would of considered a sky. and the center ac vents just look too much like....a saturn.sorry. Im quite picky. keep all this great info and pics coming!!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
second.

the sky interior is just too much for me, but then any interior that goes overboard is; those Mercedes that you can change the lighting color on the dash is a turn off for me.

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
second.

the sky interior is just too much for me, but then any interior that goes overboard is; those Mercedes that you can change the lighting color on the dash is a turn off for me.
I'm curious about what you consider "overboard" about the Sky interior. The piano black center stack? Everything else, to me, anyway, seems very conventional.

·
Registered
6,872 Posts
I'm saying this having a Solstice... I like the Sky interior and definitely prefer it over the stock grey Solstice dash.

BUT, having painted the face of my dash body color, I now like the Sol's too. I guess it was penny-pinching again, but I wish they'd done the body color from the factory for the Solstii.

·
Registered
261 Posts
the colored steerring wheel and dash cover, knobs more prevalent than the solstice, the two toned seats; too much for me. I like it simple, one color interior, one color dash to, the less knobs the better.

needless to say I have disliked the computer dash that is a part of nearly every new car and I will most likely remain staying 2010 or older on cars for the rest of my days. besides rear cameras/detection warnings; I do not need all that junk that is standard. currently have a free rental with my jeep in the shop, it has front detection warning. if you are too clueless to know what's ahead of you, you really should not be driving.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
it has front detection warning. if you are too clueless to know what's ahead of you, you really should not be driving.
While in general I do agree with you, I would not that there has been (far) more than one Kappa that trashed its IC because the driver didn't know exactly where it was in reference to the concrete marker at the front of the parking stall they were parking in.

·
Super Moderator
6,683 Posts
the colored steerring wheel and dash cover, knobs more prevalent than the solstice, the two toned seats; too much for me. I like it simple, one color interior, one color dash to, the less knobs the better.
I agree about the two-tone seats. Fortunately my '07 was monochrome black out of the box, and as soon as I get the motivation together (and some spare time) the '08 will match it. Both of mine have a black textured steering wheel hub and black textured plastic dash, with the piano black center stack, so i don't understand the colored steering wheel and dash cover, but the knobs are more prominent, mainly because the dash in general is simpler, though.

Fortunately there were two different styles, so we all got a choice.

While in general I do agree with you, I would not that there has been (far) more than one Kappa that trashed its IC because the driver didn't know exactly where it was in reference to the concrete marker at the front of the parking stall they were parking in.
Isn't the "front detection warning" for collision avoidance? If it is I have it in the Equinox, it won't detect curbs, and doesn't even function below about 30 MPH.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
Discussion Starter #220 (Edited)
Page 128
Postscript . . My car-loving wife Jill then applied for a "captured-fleet" pre-production Solstice. These legally salable cars are put into selective service by GM to catch and fix any early bugs before any cars are shipped to dealers. Several thousand miles later , they're offered to employees and retirees at hard-to-resist prices. But because demand was so high and supply so low, these captured-fleet Solstices were offered via lottery. . .

Interweb image

Gary and his wife

201 - 220 of 221 Posts