Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 60 of 234 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Page 29
The studio modeled two iterations. . . the narrow version also had smaller wheels . . . in side by side comparisons most people favored the wider car

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Page 30
"we talked lot about cargo space" . . . but I don't recall any pressure to lengthen the car to get more trunk

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Page 31
Perhaps the toughest exterior challenge was getting the wheel pushed outward almost flush with the fender edges and minimizing the vertical distance between the tops of the tires and the fenders

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Page 32
GM Group Vice President Mark Hogan introduces the Kappa platform at the 2004 Detroit Auro Show

Interweb image

Mark Hogan, Detroit 2004

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Page 33
The show car had the lights flush with the body surface . . . . we had to take into account how much it costs to repair the vehicle. So we developed offsets around the lamps

Interweb image

Head light as we know it today

·
Premium Member
2006 Pontiac Solstice, 2.4L base model.
78 Posts
This has been a neat post and looking forward to each new page. Last night I was surprised by the gift from my son which I received last night! I must say I never expected this and a big thank you to my Michael!

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Page 35
2004 Detroit show . . . . . and someone from the media came up and asked where the Solstice was. I said "Right here". He said "No way, that's the show car. Where's the production car?". I said "No, that is the production car"

Interweb image

Detroit NAIAS 2004 promotional card

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Page 35
Driving it through my neighborhood was a fantastic experience. Ten-year-old kids where running up the street to see it. It was a realy cool happening. That's why I got into this business. You have this vision, and you want to see it on the street.

Interweb image

·
Registered
311 Posts
New ones go for a little over 30 bucks
New ones WENT for as little ar $30. There don't seem to be any available for less than $195 as of today. I'm glad i bought mine when it first came out. Solstice Memorabilia is rapidly increasing in price. I bought a Maisto 1/64 car in 2009 for $.99 and now they are going for as much as $40 if you can find one..

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Did not know that. Bought one in 2014 and 3 "spare" ones from the publisher a few months ago for something like 34 $ each.

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Page 36
. . . it got smash reviews! That's is when Bob pulled me aside and said, "Mark, we have to figure out a way to do this car." I said, "Okay, but it can't be done off any existing GM architecture." So Bob said, "Throw out the rulebook. If we have to develop new architecture, let's do it."

Interweb Image

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
Page 37
Hand-assembled Solstice mules looked pretty much like the real thing.

Interweb image

Solstice mule. Note the mirrors

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Page 38
GM engineers were already developing the Chevrolet SSR, another low-volume, high-style halo two-seater destined for introduction the following year. So should GM take-on yet another such car?

Interweb image

2003 Chevrolet SSR pre production sketch

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Page 39
The Solstice engineering staff was broken down into 10 sub-teams . . . Powertrain, Chassis, HVAC & Powertrain Cooling, Interior Trim, Body Structures & Closures, Exterior Fascias Lighting etc, Electrical, Safety, Program Architecture, Program Validation, . . . . . . . . overall coordinator Bruce Kosbab.

Interweb image

Bruce Kosbab

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Page 40
Almost none of the powertrain components is unique to the Solstice, but everything fits together comfortably.

Interweb image

Solstice powertrain

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Page 41
Solstie is first car to use Kappa platform. Hydroformed side rails, galvanized central tunnel and rear bulkhead stiffen structure.

Interweb image

Solstice structure

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Pag 42
When VPI (Vehicle Program Initiation) finally happen on 7 February 2003, small-car VLE (Vehicle Line Executive) Lori Queen could hardly believe it. "Bob Lutz told me from the start that if the car went to a vehicle line team we'd be in it. But I couldn't image how we'd be a to fir it into our workload."

Interweb image

Lori Queen

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Page 43
What was unusual is that they wanted to do this car really fast. . . typically an all-new program takes 48 months, maybe 38-42 months at best, but nothing like this 27-month program.

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Page 44
We wanted the marching orders to be crystal clear: "This is the vehicle. Four-cylinders only and 100% BOM (Bill Of Materials) re-use" . . . . there was no way we could get a 100% BOM re-use . . . . . but the policy would expose exceptions and there'd be a challenge process when people felt they needed to do a new or modified part.

Interweb image

Some shared parts

41 - 60 of 234 Posts