Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 78 of 78 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Page 45
Put it all together and you get an open sports car with unusual performance capabilities, a modern, durable, sophisticated engine and remarkably handsome aesthetics.

Interweb image

Solstice parts suppliers
Click here to zoom-in --> Put it all together - Large.png

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Never saw that pic before, very interesting. It says the airbag is by TRW, which reinforces the fact that we don't need to be worried about the Takata recall!

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Page 46
". . . . but as the product design evolved we also needed to kick off bodyshop and general assembly tooling, this caused some timing and cost challenges that let-us to start pre-production builds at Wilmington with a less, shall we say, mature process than we'd planned."

Interweb image

GM Wilmington assembly plant (note the Solstice)

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Page 47
Eighty-nine test mules were built during 2003-04, and all of them got good workouts . . . winter testing took place around Michigan's Upper Peninsula.

Interweb image

2004 test mule in Europe

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Page 48
Tire testing took place on a variety of surfaces . . . . . one of the handling team's primary goals was superior cornering.

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Page 49
ACRONYMS: HVAC = heating & ventilation & air-conditioning , NVH = noise, vibration & harshness , PIT = performance integration team , PTC = powertrain cooling , QRD = quality, reliability & durability , S&R = squeaks & rattles , VIE = vehicle integration engineer , VSE = vehicle systems engineer

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Page 50
Caption to a full-page photo: One memorable test sequence took place at the venerable Goodwood motorcircuit in England . . . . . and just for fun they augmented the Solstice test vehicle with classic English sports cars . . . .

Interweb image

Note: I think the page 50 caption text is not correct, seems the photos is taken at the Brooklands race track.
Brookland 3D view: Click Here

·
Super Moderator
6,243 Posts
A Solstice was displayed at the Vauxhall stand during the 2004 Goodwood Festival of Speed, but you are correct that the picture was taken at Brooklands.

Maybe the picture from Goodwood is captioned Brooklands .......

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #71 (Edited)
Page 51
Engineering challenges: . . . .Hydroformed body panels. Japanese supplier Amino Corp. had done single panels before but never an entire body program . . . . so GM brought in the corporation's Metal Fabricating Div. in a joint venture . . .we were the first to develop an entire car in sheet hydroforming

Interweb image

General process movie: https://tinyurl.com/general-process-movie
Solstice panel movie: https://tinyurl.com/solstice-panel-movie

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Page 52
Engineering challenges: . . . .Curb Height. GM specifies a curb-clearance height of roughly seven inches . . . . so we decided to violate GM's requirement and work with the studio to design the lower fascia so that any incidental curb hits would be less visible from normal view.

Photo by forum member MCEB

Lower fascia. Philadelphia auto show Feb 2005
Source and more photos: h t t p s : / / w w w .solsticeforum.com/media/another-front-lip.6357/

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Page 53
The team concluded that the Mazda Miata was the only roadster that was near the Solstice in price . . . so in January 2003 we bought a Miata . . . to take it apart and evaluate it . . . we also bought another Miata, Honda S2000 and a BMW Z4 to benchmark their performance characteristics.

Sniplet from GM training leaflet

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Page 54
Engineering challenges: . . . .Tires. There was no time for tire development, so the team chose the Goodyear Eagle-245profile tire as used on the Nissan Maxima which offered the desired grip and appearance. Then the engineers weren't happy with the way the Solstice handled on this tire . . . . . . the car didn't have the on-center crispness we wanted . . . . . . so we did a little compound and belt alignment work with Goodyear and ended up with much, much better handling.

Interweb image

Stock tire label

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
That's interesting as their 'much better' seems to be equivalent to "still not very good' to most performance minded drivers. Hate to generalize from my one driving experience with the RSA, but I think they were bloody awful! At least the tire they later specified for the GXP was at least adequate.

·
Super Moderator
6,243 Posts
That's interesting as their 'much better' seems to be equivalent to "still not very good' to most performance minded drivers. Hate to generalize from my one driving experience with the RSA, but I think they were bloody awful! At least the tire they later specified for the GXP was at least adequate.
The RS-A was really a fun tire to drive as long as the roads were dry, as the level of grip very nicely matched the car's power level. We did find that the recommended 29 psi was too low, and they worked much better at 31-32 psi. Once the surface got wet, though, all bets were off.

I'm a little surprised that you even noticed the tires given your total disdain for the NA in general.

·
Registered
6,584 Posts
I'm a little surprised that you even noticed the tires given your total disdain for the NA in general.
Not sure where that comes from. The NA is a perfectly decent sports car.

I certainly prefer the higher performance model, but a version with lower power and less tight handling certainly doesn't warrant disdain, it just isn't my personal preference.

·
Premium Member
2,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Page 55
The two early-2003 POC (Poof-Of-C) cars - essentially extra showcar skins grafted onto on hand welded structures served as "crude" mules . . . . . forty-three "rough" mule test vehicles where built through the summer of 2003 . . . . . .then came a late-2003/early-2004 build of 46 higher level IVER (Integration Vehicle Engineering Release) cars . . . . . . one was displayed as the production-intent Solstice on the 2004 show circuit

Interweb image

2004 Chicago auto show (note the mirrors)

61 - 78 of 78 Posts