Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

101 - 120 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
Since when does salt explode in water??
It doesn't - what made you think it did? Salt is sodium chloride and they don't fill the valve stems of the Kappas with that. They use the element sodium, which does indeed display the behaviour depicted in that video.

·
Registered
179 Posts
It doesn't - what made you think it did? Salt is sodium chloride and they don't fill the valve stems of the Kappas with that. They use the element sodium, which does indeed display the behaviour depicted in that video.
Oh yeah...sodium Chloride

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Page 71
The two POC (proof of concept) cars were built at GM's AVI (advanced vehicle integration) center . . . the engineering mules and the 2004 production-intent showcar were done across the road of GM Technical Center . . . But while early CTBs (confirmation tuning builds) and the first few ManVal (manufacturing validation) cars are typically built and validated by GM Global Manufacturing at the Engineering Center, all Solstice CTBs and ManVals were assembled in the Wilmington assembly plant.

Photo by forum member Brentil

Early Solstice , carrying manufacturer plates, at the Wilmington DE assembly plant

·
Registered
465 Posts
and they parked mine on both ends.. I suppose so nomater witch way you drove in from you saw the prettiest ones first!!! thats my story and Im stuck to it...but dam they all look great!!!keep the pages comming!!!

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Page 72
At the Wilmington plant, sheetmetal stampings get painted before they're installed on the car.

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Page 73
This page has interesting info on IVER, ManVal and Test Vehicles related to Wilmington Assembly. But also shows some graphics (not same as one below) explaining sheet hydro-forming technology. See Page 51 (click here) for movies explaining the general process of sheet hydro-forming and even the manufacturing of a Solstice panel. See the image below for a comparison between conventional-forming and hydro-forming.

Image from "The Stamping Journal"

·
Registered
465 Posts
hydro forming is a sweet process. many things are done that way.I made a hydroformer about 10 years ago for reforming some oil pickup tubes for better flow. just clamp it in add h2o installl the piston and give it a wack with the hammer . unclamp the clamps, dump out the h20 and it's done.. the frame rails on our cars are bent into the basic shape then the end caps are put on, it's filled with h20 put in the mold and add the high pressure wack and poof!!! it's now the same bend shape, but no pinches. flats where they need to be, nice rounded corners & consistent raidi for the places that need them. etc .

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Page 74
Our consistent Kappa program philosophy has been to build the cars extremely well with a low manufacturing investment. The Wilmington facility is huge, yet Kappa assembly only uses a small part of the Plant. processes are mostly manual, with MIG welding by hand rather than the computerized automated arc welds used in modern plants worldwide.

Interweb image
\

Wilmington 2009 , there is at least some automated welding

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Page 75
Page wide photo: Hanging sling supports hood while assemblers align and fasten it.

Interweb image

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
NOW I need to go back over my copy of the book...My hood's been off twice that I know of and I need to align it after the last time as the body shop missed more than I thought. I really am the best person who works for me. (A quote from a custom engine builder made this statement while we talked about working on a 421 Pontiac engine...he owned the shop. It was the only place outside of a magazine photo I'd seen with a clean room for assembly with a negative air pressure interlock entry. A serious man.)

Interesting the factory used not only the strap but three workers to do the job. The more I do anything on this car the more I learn about it, and the lack of information available.

Richard Snipes

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,379 Posts
Interesting the factory used not only the strap but three workers to do the job. The more I do anything on this car the more I learn about it, and the lack of information available.
That's not a strap supporting the hood, but a compressed air hose powering the wrench being used by an installer, and I see at least 4 workers in that picture working on the hood.

:dunno:

·
Registered
465 Posts
hey thats my car !!!:cool: yes I agree that's the air hose. as far as the welding Ive seen some welds that are somewhat short and could of been done better,placement was off a tad, but it is a production car and not robot welded where every one will be the same and recorded. but there is nothing rong with the welding...that Ive seen. what i want to know is how didit make it through production with the lower rear supension not supported.......worth a poop. but like all cars there are things missed. some a lot worse than this,I havent heard of any breaking off so..they do work. but a $1.oo gusset would of been nice. keep this story going I want to see who bought my car first!!!( yes I know Im not the only one with a sliver 06.

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Hey, thanks for pointing out that's as air hose and 4 workers...I took Bram at his word about the sling and have to admit the hose looks like part of a sling. Next time open the book and get the loupe out. I could still use a hand.👈 Or two or...a sling and pulley system would not hurt. ;)

Richard Snipes

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Please all be aware that those are quotes from the book. Book has many sniplets that have mistakes, I posted several, you guys caught most.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Page 76
. . . this is like a car built in the good-old days. We drop the engine and transmission down into the car, as you would with a chain hoist . . . the instrument panel (i.p.) build is completed online . . . the sub-assembled i.p. is build up into a cockpit module, which goes to paint along with the exterior panels . . . them trucked into general assembly where it's trimmed out . . . the i.p. gets installed as the chassis and powertrain are loaded . . finally we take that cockpit, suspend it with a hoist and load it down into the primary structure . .

Interweb still

Wilmington 2009, cockpit module

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Page 77
In January 2006 the Wilmington assembly plant put on three shifts and at that time employed approximately 1800 people.

Photo by forum member Lil'Oggi

Poster at the Wilmington assembly plant, photo taken July 2009. A daily production of 180 is indicated. This can only be achieved with three shift. A daily production well above 140 was not achieved before spring 2006 and it took till 2007 before getting well over 170.

·
Premium Member
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Page 78
Plant manager Dennis Dougherty . . . to lead one of the industry's most unusual and challenging vehicle launches . . . brand-new car, brand-new platform, do it fast, and break all the rules . . . nothing like a traditional vehicle with the structure all around the passenger compartment . . . we start with the rear quarters, then add the doors, the hood, deck, and front fenders . . . we pretty much build the whole care here . . . we set up a quick call-back system . . . most things were minor . . . gear rattle . . . differential noise . . . the convertible top latch interferes with the decklid striker . . . incorporated the instructions into the "Get To Know Your 2006 Solstice" pamphlet

Interweb image

Download your Solstice Pamphlet and Owners Manual here --> https: // my.gm.com / how-to-support/manuals

101 - 120 of 140 Posts