Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the NA so I'm obviously not going to win any races. A friend of mine owns a vette. Saturday we are traveling together and he is following. We come up on a slower car and I switch lanes to pass. I was probably at half peddle and hit 80 pretty quickly. Of course he was on my tail. When we got to where we were going he says "did you have it on the floor?" I told him I didn't. He said "I told my wife I was going to run over you if I didn't just coast." Of course he was the Harley guy when I owned a Goldwing too.

So we go in to eat and when we come out there is a couple admiring our cars. They look at us approaching and say "Whose blue convertible is this?" I told them it was mine. They said "That is a sharp car." Then they look and him kind of dismissively say "yours is nice too." I thought he would swallow his tongue.

We made another stop on the way home and when we come out there is a guy admiring the Sol. My buddy didn't have much to say at that point.

I saw probably 6-8 vettes on our 2 hour drive. I was the only Sol on the road. Part of the reason it is such a head turner is because it is different. I am different so we make a good match.

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
The Sol is more rare so it often gets more attention than the Corvette!

·
Premium Member
4,501 Posts
yes, our cars love to go 60 mph or faster, whether a NA or a GXP. :)

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
lol - a young man our daughter's age lived down the road from us during her high school years. We see him and his wife from time to time around town. Last summer we saw him getting out of a 'vette and entering a local watering hole we were headed to. I went up to him and asked "When did you get the 'vette?"

He smiled and replied "Which one?"

I responded "I was going to say it's nice to see that at least some 'vette owners aren't douchebags, but then you go and confirm it!"

Of course I don't think that the majority of them are. It's just that the sample size is larger so you're likely to run across the ones that ARE d-bags. ;)

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
lol - a young man our daughter's age lived down the road from us during her high school years. We see him and his wife from time to time around town. Last summer we saw him getting out of a 'vette and entering a local watering hole we were headed to. I went up to him and asked "When did you get the 'vette?"

He smiled and replied "Which one?"

I responded "I was going to say it's nice to see that at least some 'vette owners aren't douchebags, but then you go and confirm it!"

Of course I don't think that the majority of them are. It's just that the sample size is larger so you're likely to run across the ones that ARE d-bags. ;)
What would a non-d-bag response have been?

·
Registered
2006 Cool Silver NA 2008 Pure White NA
332 Posts
Last week I had the summer tires put on the Solstice at a local GM dealership. While there I looked at a new Vette on the showroom floor. Driver's seat is surrounded by a flat screen monitor, and rows of buttons running down the center console. It looked like something you "sit in," press buttons like George Jetson - but not something you "drive." I liked the body style - but not the car. And had a price tag of $118,000.

·
Super Moderator
16,744 Posts
Personally I consider the current Vette design to be very european and not American. Its not a Vette in my opinion. And the human factors as Bama stated are terrible.

When we open the garage door and the cars are uncovered we constantly have people stopping in the street to stare. When one of the cars is absent we get questions about "where is your car?"

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
1,683 Posts
My family used to own a campground in Massachusetts an there was a camper that was really into Corvettes. He asked if he could invite some of his vette buddies to the campground and show their cars there. It ended up being close to 40 vetts that showed up. I asked if I could show my Solstice (07 Mean NA) along side their cars. They said sure... It is made by GM and is similiar to a late 50's vette.

They ended up regretting the decision to let me show along side them. Most people were more interested in checking out the Solstice. This was in the spring of 07 and not to many people had seen one. I was told by the dealershit that the car was the the first Mean (Yellow) one in New England, boy did it stand out and scream "come look at me!"

Reactions: RedOne07

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver&356Pcar.dirtbike,4wheeler
837 Posts
driving home from the dealer I bought my solstice from 10-12 hours away I got many what is that and is that striaght off the show room floor comments as well as you want to sell it? and this was...about 2 years ago..It was so effing slow, barley go 65, but of so pretty and I can fix slow...I kinda wish I had got a cheep one for a few thou and just put a small block mopar in it or small block ford.tiny and lotsa power...when I get done with them.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
My boss drives an Uber expensive AMG Mercedes and boy it’s got some balls and a beautiful tone but...
He stops every day when he walks by the Sol and shakes his head. “Hard to believe that came out of Detroit. damn fine looking car”.

my own personal opinion here but there are some vettes that make me smile but none grab my aesthetic heart like the Solstice. I stare at it every day and marvel at the different lines in the hood and headlights and can almost see the work that went in to getting what was asked for to translate to the final product. It just really is remarkable from every angle.

just my opinion but I wish car makers could get back to the understanding that aesthetics count and blending classic beauty with modern build and design will win out every time.

this car has aged well and was a classic the moment it hit the street.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts