Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I grew up in the 60s, And in 1970 I started High School. Back then you could buy a 69 Charger, Malibu, Nova, Dart swinger 340, Mustang, GTO, etc for not a whole lot of money. Just about every Car from the Big 3 had it's own Image and Character, The Charger was a drop dead Beautiful car. It had a look all it's own. The Malibu was the same. Even the Mustang was a pretty car.

Today, Ford has taken the the right path for their Bottom line. Make a Mustang that looks like the original so much, and keep the price within reason, and the Car will sell. And the Idea is working.

Chrysler has taken a different path, with it's Bentley style 4 door Luxury Magnum Cars. The Rappers Love Em, And the General public are buying them because they are so different from other makes. And the P.T.Cruiser is doing fairly well, and it comes in a Covertible. Not a bad car for the price.

But, the new Charger is so alien from the Chargers of the past, And with fuel the way it is today, I don't think there is a solid group of buyers lining up to buy them. It would of been so easy to build a 2 door version with the style of the past,like Ford has done with it's Mustang.

The Car Rental Companies have a hard time keeping the Mustangs to rent, While it is pretty easy to rent a Charger.

Now for G.M. When I was young just about every Car to come out of G.M. was Beautiful. Even the 69 Caddy Converible was an Awesome head turner.
G.M. had it's chance to Bring back the 70 Malibu. I have a picture of a Concept Malibu in one of my Chevy Magazines. It looks so much like the Original, But with a sleek modern retro look. This is time for G.M. to look hard at the Malibu SS 1970 Retro concept Car. They would be on the same path as Ford in respect to bringing in new buyers.

Some people think their Company needs to only look to the future when building Cars. G.M. is trying hard with it's HHR. But, will it's retro design beat out the P.T.? Most Buyers today just can't relate to the Car it was based on.

The SSR is a Pretty Truck. But, the average American just can't afford the Big Gas guzzler.

At 49 years of age, I almost bought a Mustang Convertible to replace my Deceased Bike. The love for my bike was related to the Old School design.

It was fate that brought me to the Internet last January in search of a Automobile to replace my Cruiser.

I wanted a Car that stood out from the pack. I looked at the Crossfire. Too much money, and no Convertible. I looked at the BMW Covertible. Not bad but I just wasn't hooked.

The Porshe Boxter was way too expensive.

I had the Idea that I needed a Ride that would replace my Bike, was Beautifull to look at and at a price I could afford.

I looked at the GTO, and it was a brand new 2005 hardtop marked way down to $22,000 Nice enough car, But it just didn't scream out I'M DIFFERENT BUY ME!.

The second I saw the Solstice, I just fell in love. It was a little Vette.
An American Convertible with a little bit of everything from the past, But with just the right mix of Retro and sleek modern design. The price is right!

I got the same feeling when I first saw the Solstice as I did when I first laid eyes on the 70 Malibu and Charger! Excitement.

G.M. brought me back to them. I love my New Solstice actually more than my 69 Dodge Dart Swinger.

I only have 115 miles on my Red Solstice and I'm getting 25 miles per gallon. The ride is beyond words. The style is beyond awesome. The price is half of what most people have guessed. A winner for G.M.

G.M. please bring back a Nova that looks like a fun car, And will turn heads.
Give us a Retro 70 Malibu SS. Look hard at the past. But keep your search to the 50s, 60s, and early 70s. A time that at least half of the American Public can relate to the fondness, and Beauty of those Muscle Cars they so admired.

I hope G.M. will learn from the Solstice, I hope we see all of the Big Three follow up with more designs like the Solstice. The time has come for the American Car makers to build Cars people really want, Not just basic transportation. Not just another Car that looks like all the rest!

Thank God I checked in on this site last January, The timimg was perfect.

G.M. brought me back after almost 30 years! I could not be happier.
I was treated like Royalty from the Pontiac Dealership, and I'm thinking G.M. may well be on it's way to recovery, and producing the best cars in the World. Mitch

Attachments

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Happy for you

Mitch, glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride. :thumbs:

I am having fun with my SSV (Solstice Substitute Vehicle). I think the Ontario Chapter of Solstice Canada will let me tag along with them because I can pack the two-fours in the trunk. :lol:

·
5,600 Posts
MITCH said:
I grew up in the 60s, And in 1970 I started High School...

At 49 years of age, I almost bought a Mustang Convertible to replace my Deceased Bike. The love for my bike was related to the Old School design...

I had the Idea that I needed a Ride that would replace my Bike, was Beautifull to look at and at a price I could afford.

Mitch
Hey birdliver, I think we found our OTHER long lost brother!

Mitch, that's an inside joke with me and birdliver because we think alike. To wit, I am 47 years old and like you I loved the cars of the 60s and early 70s. I gave up riding my HD Road King after my last accident and am looking for a car to use as motorcycle replacement - so it has to be a convertible.

I also thought of getting a Mustang for its fine looks and performance. Unfortunately it does not look all that great (great shape but the details are lacking), although it looks light-years better than the old Mustang and any other muscle/pony car made today. Also unfortunately, it has that solid rear axle, which I just refuse to own on a a performance car in this Millenium. Why, Ford? How much would the cost be to add the Jaguar suspension you already manufacture be to put on the Ford?

Anyway, long story longer, we are in similar circumstances with similar desires. And that is what compels me to buy a Solstice.

One comment - the Charger may not be gorgeous, but living in San Francisco, I should see a few of everything out there. For example - I don't see too many S2000's, but I do see them now and again. I almost NEVER see GTO's. But I have seen a new Charger on most days over the past several weeks. I think they must be selling very strongly because I see them all the time.

Maybe I don't notice the Goats because they are invisible among all the Cavaliers out there. But I think I know what to look for, and I see more Ferrari's in San Francisco than Goats. I kid you not.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
jimbo said:
Hey birdliver, I think we found our OTHER long lost brother!

Mitch, that's an inside joke with me and birdliver because we think alike. To wit, I am 47 years old and like you I loved the cars of the 60s and early 70s. I gave up riding my HD Road King after my last accident and am looking for a car to use as motorcycle replacement - so it has to be a convertible.

I also thought of getting a Mustang for its fine looks and performance. Unfortunately it does not look all that great (great shape but the details are lacking), although it looks light-years better than the old Mustang and any other muscle/pony car made today. Also unfortunately, it has that solid rear axle, which I just refuse to own on a a performance car in this Millenium. Why, Ford? How much would the cost be to add the Jaguar suspension you already manufacture be to put on the Ford?

Anyway, long story longer, we are in similar circumstances with similar desires. And that is what compels me to buy a Solstice.

One comment - the Charger may not be gorgeous, but living in San Francisco, I should see a few of everything out there. For example - I don't see too many S2000's, but I do see them now and again. I almost NEVER see GTO's. But I have seen a new Charger on most days over the past several weeks. I think they must be selling very strongly because I see them all the time.

Maybe I don't notice the Goats because they are invisible among all the Cavaliers out there. But I think I know what to look for, and I see more Ferrari's in San Francisco than Goats. I kid you not.

I like the Charger and the Magnum, I'll probably get one of either of those next year, probably the Magnum. Then thats it, no more new cars for awhile. I'll drive The Solstice and Monte Carlo in the summer then my Caddy and Magnum in winter.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Well, being 19... My Solstice will be your 69 Charger, Malibu, Nova, Dart, Mustang, etc...

*tear* I feel so fortunate.

·
Registered
109 Posts
:rant:
They're bringing back the Chevelle and the Camaro... I can't wait to see how they mess these up. For GM, everything lately is a fork in the road. Cost vs. Appeal. They make the concept for the vehicles that look so good. They get everyone's attention with them. But then it hits them; how much is this thing going to cost??? So they begin to tear it down, replacing parts from the nice looking car with shared panels, interior, chasis, engine, lenses, etc. By the time they're done, the car is a clone of another car with a price tag that's hasn't changed from the concepts price! I'm tired of that. Sharing internal parts is not a problem, but they should give the cars a new name, rather then recycling the names to make more profit. If it's not the same car, then it shouldn't have the same name. Otherwise, make it a car worthy of the name. GM has had their heads up their asses for years now. The Sol is the only car to come out that I've liked in a long time. I have a feeling the Chevelle is going to look like a Malibu, and the Camaro is going to have a v6! If they keep this up, I'm going with BMW or Acura. I don't like Mopar or Ford, so GM is pushing me away from American.

My dad is 53. He's always been a big sports car guy. He showed me a pic of 1969 SS RS Camaro he had for about 2 weeks before it got hit by a drunk driver, tossed into the intersection, then hit by another car! He was lucky he wasn't hurt. He taught me how to drive on his 85 Corvette starting with "Looking for cops: 101". :devil: Recently, he bought a Silverado to work on his house, but hates the thing. When I showed him the Sol, he was 100% positive he's going to own one. He will be trading the truck in for the Sol. and he's impatiantly waiting for one to arive at our dealership.

I too like to the sol. Since my dad taught me to drive, I've owned my 3 pontiacs. (I like pont more then chevy, but I still like them both) and I too will own one. Though I'll wait for the Turbo.

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
MITCH said:
At 49 years of age, I almost bought a Mustang Convertible to replace my Deceased Bike. The love for my bike was related to the Old School design.
jimbo said:
I found the Solstice while looking for a bike replacement. The more I think about it the more I am glad I didn't get a bike since there is no way I could have that and get this car. The car is a much sweeter ride to me. (Plus I won't be freezing my keester off when it is 10 degrees outside.)

I had my wife convinced to buy a HD from a guy I work with. He bought a new one while he was deployed to Afghanistan, they give good deals to the military if purchased while overseas. He wanted more money for his old bike than I was willing to pay. I think the wife was secretly glad that I didn't get it since she has had an aversion to bikes longer than we have been married. Also said something about wanting me in one piece, not sure if it was me or other dirvers that she doesn't trust. :)

I know there are plenty of older riders out there, but at 43 I think I will like the comfort of the Solstice more than that of a bike...I know my wife will and she won't worry about me so much. We will still have about the same amount of storage space though....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts