Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I drive somewhere I notice that my keys slap against the steering column. It annoys the hell out of me.

Well, after looking at this picture:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=447&size=big&sort=2&cat=3017

It looks like they might have come up with some kind of solution. My guess is that the piece under the ignition is some kind of sound dampening material.

Of course, I could be wrong and this could be where they keep the eject button. I don't know.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
My GTP had a simliar little square of rubber there. Pretty thoughtful! I have videos from autocross with the camera mounted to the passanger's seat headrest. Can't hear the keys slapping that much, but you can hear change flying around and CD's slapping back and forth in the glove box.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah. I've seen several cars with something like that. It's been made of rubber every time I've seen it... Cheap and effective. :)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Primus said:
It looks like they might have come up with some kind of solution. My guess is that the piece under the ignition is some kind of sound dampening material.
Agree, I thought same thing when I saw that area below the ignition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing has been in dodge vehicles for years. I know at least as far back as 97.

Actually I think Hummer as their own version of it, which is a padded spot that is bulged out slightly to keep the keys from even hanging free. Can't confirm this right now, a buddy of mine and I were talking about it while riding in one IIRC.

·
Registered
670 Posts
get rid of extra keys

The best way to reduce this noise in my wife's current car would be to eliminate the 15 keys on her ring of which probably 13 she doesn't know what they fit! I keep my truck key on a ring and all my work keys on another ring in the truck. My motorcycle has a top center of the tank ignition so I found a taz fuzzy squeeze talking key holder that after 6 years still growls when you squeeze it - on the original battery! :lol:

·
Registered
338 Posts
I don't even use a key ring, just the key. A friend of mine once told me that the extra weight could cause problems w/ the ignition switch, although I never believed him. Main reason is I don't like the jingling noise interrupting my road music while flying down a curvy highway. Did Steve McQueen :cool: have that problem in Bullitt? No.

·
Registered
144 Posts
The rubber pad under the ignition on my GP still does not keep the keys from swinging left and right and smacking into things. I try to keep minimal keys on the ring, but I still need house keys, etc.

·
Registered
275 Posts
eventually the keys thing becomes background and i dont notice it. only when i am thinking about it. what drives me nuts is when i hit a pothole and all the pennies in my cupholder jump!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I have never had to deal with my keys making noise... probably because I have a dash-ignition, and the keys hang in free air like they should!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts