Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Warning for the faint of heart, Solsticeman sized post follows:

Well, it has happened, boys and girls. The writer (as my lawyer friend refers to himself in documentation) has reached a milestone of sorts. I don't write this intending to gloat but just as a sort of reflection on the past several months. Feel free to chime in on your experiences, thrills, joys, heartaches, diappointments, etc. Or even feel free to hijack the thread as long as you refrain from politics or commercial phishing.

When I first saw the intoduction of the show Solstices and the original inference rom GM that "sure we can build this coupe, but here is a potential roadster version that might come along later if we are successful with the coupe". At least that is how I remember the show starting. Well as the crowd gathered round the droptop and gave less attention to the coupe the die was cast. In a whirlwind, as far as a big mfgr like GM is concerned the roadster Sol is ushered along toward production. Along the way it is decided to add two other nameplate versions to the architecture called Kappa. That being Saturn Sky and the yet to be named model for Opel (and presumable Vauxhall in the UK).

Anyway, I drooled. In the 80's I drooled over and watched the road to construction of the Fiero (and please no laugh tracks) It had the potential to bring Pontiac and GM out of the doldrums tehy were in. Think for a minute about the new machines that were built specifically to mill and drill the body mounts and the potential the Fiero had of homeowner based quick change of body panels, to replace damage or to change appearance and utility. UNfortunately for reasons discussed adnauseum elsewhere the Fiero died an undeserving death.

In 1996 I drooled over the new for 97 Grand Prix GTP with amazing for the time 6.8 sec 0-60. And handling that is still great for a family sedan, priced a good $10000 below comparable imports. So much so that I ordered that 97 first week of ordering without having even sat in one, figuring that if I was 100% satisfied with my Bonnie SSEi, the GTP couldn't beb too far off. And I was not disappointed -in fact we are 50k miles into our 2003.

As Pontiac unveiled the Aztek, along with Chevy's Avalance I feared GM was reverting to the dreary 80's. And then along came Bob Lutz to reinvigorate GM in general and Pontiac in particuar. The Sol is his baby. Just as the original GTO was the child of now departed Mr. Delorean, and to give credit where due- the original Mustang was the legitimate child of Lee Iacoccca, and not Bill Ford, although the Ford's refute this. Bob brought a new think to the tank and if he can stay long enough will work some even more amazing things than just Kappa.

As I said, I drooled over the Solstice concept (and even the Nomad show car got me dreaming) and yearned for more. Long ago I serached the web (I hate the term google) for pics of Soltice and found among others this fledgling little site from Troy Roberts. At first I just crawled around, signed up to download, and refrained from posting much. I got busy, may even have temporarily lost my p-word. But then with announcement of imminenet (well at least firm) production plans for the Sol, I was back.

I have been here since about 200-300 members I think (maybe more, maybe less) at least I was around when "Pilot washed his hands, and sealed his fate" :lol: I missed the very first brentilisms, which were the annoyance of our dear supermod Brentil with newbies asking q's that had just been answered sufficiently for all to see,and yet there was that "does the Solstice have a back seat?" Duh,or as he always said :brentil: so much so that Troy renamed the exploding emoticon in Brentil's honor. It even carries that nomenclature on sister Sky site.

I even at first had my little reprimand and deletion from the illustrious first SuperMod Solstcieman on an off comment I had made as joke that could have been considered inappropriate to some ( even though he siad it made him laugh) I stood corrected and have tried to maintain proper decorum since.

I enjoyed the inside jokes we have had with Solsticeman and the true fact that nobody has ever seen Solticeman and Bob Lutz in the same room at the same time :glol: ( allin good jest)

I joined and trawled several other sites eager for all the Solstice news I could get. The most and best either appeared here first, or ended up here anyway. The intro of the Spprentice program appeared here following a long wait after Pammysolstice initially reported that an acquantance had been in NYC for something to do with teh Apprentice show and that somehow the Soltice was going to be a part of it. Up until this time I was not considering ordering a Sol until the second year, but as I found out at my local dealer i was about the only person showing any interest in the car at that point, so I followed the unfolding of the rules and prepared to sign up on 4/14 and went through the agonizing 41 minutes from hades waiting patiently beside my dealer's sales manager, suppressing my desire to say "step aside you nitwit, I can run this computer betterthan you" and voila, miraculously an approval #, followed by VOM and now VIN. But as I guessed a few days back, here is post 2000, before arrival of 726.

Now to my point (finally, anyone still reading sighs) this is a great forum where even the off off topic can be reasonably discussed ( in most cases) It is also one of the most uncluttered sites around thanks to rules Toy put in place early on, such as no big pics allowed in sigs. Overall this site is a pleasant place to visit, and a great place to live. Courtesy on the internet, an oxymoron to be sure, is alive and well at solsticeforum and skyroadster.

As a customer of mine responds everytime we ask how he is, he responds for all of us here, "Just, livin' the dream, just livin' the dream.

John

·
Registered
753 Posts
wouldn't be the same without you. hopefully we''ll have even more to chat about when we have our cars :grouphug:

·
4,592 Posts
:yawn:

:jester:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Congrats!

2,000 posts! Wow, I'll bet when you posted the first time it was never in your dreams to reach this milestone.

Better keep the next posts shorter or you'll never get those fingers wrapped around the Sol leather steering wheel.

Drive by my place when you get it, I want to make sure I fit as I drove a '97 Miata today and it was definitely too small for me.

·
4,592 Posts
For Posterity

Congrats on VIN #726

:thumbs:

·
Registered
137 Posts
RODEO said:
For Posterity

Congrats on VIN #726

:thumbs:
achieftain,

Your input has been a valuable asset to all of us and this forum. Your 2000th post (although long) is certainly on mark. This has become a home for many of us Solstice "groupies". We laugh, we cry, we shout and we celebrate together. All of us who share a common interest and love yet few have personally met.

As time has passed, I feel as though I have known many of you for years, solely on the posts that have been submitted. Isn't strange how life evolves??? One car, one love, one passion.... and thousands of enthusiasts.

Troy and all of the moderators have given us a place in cyberspace that we can all be proud to call our own. To that group we can thank the heavy posters like you for your time, dedication and wisdom you continue to share with the rest of us.

Congrats!!!

:cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
OK, Someone has to do it. 2000 posts, does someone need to get a life or what. :lol:
Group hug :grouphug: Congrats :patriot:

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Boy, you're bicentenial post!

Maybe Lee Iaccoca will help organize a party.

"If you can find a better thread, Post it"!

You should catch and pass Brentil.......lets see, multiply times 3, carry the 2, Saturdays and Sundays, double post's.........Never :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Chieftain hasn't posted for 3 hours, a new record :glol:

My chance to catch up........... :devil:

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...a dubious honor

Congrats. That puts you on the level of most politicians. You can talk alot.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Congrats achieftain. :cheers:

Marco said:
Boy, you're bicentenial post!

Maybe Lee Iaccoca will help organize a party.

"If you can find a better thread, Post it"!

You should catch and pass Brentil.......lets see, multiply times 3, carry the 2, Saturdays and Sundays, double post's.........Never :lol:
Well luckily for all you newercomers and up-n-rising posters since we've become mods our posting has significantly slowed. It's the only reason I passed FF88. When we get our cars too I bet well slow down even more. :D

·
Registered
278 Posts
so...we dont all have to do such a long post when we hit 2000 posts...do we?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts