Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a watch collector I keep an eye on chronological developments and I thought this would be interesting for the car fans here. Not as cheap as the low quality Chinese watches I've seen with a Solstice on the dial, though....these cost in the $4K range.

https://www.reservoir-watch.com/en/

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
Interesting concept. It would certainly confuse the crap out of anyone trying to "steal" the time off of your wrist.

I like it, but I think I'll stick with what I have.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How old is the TAG, John?

The old saying in the watch collecting world is that by the time a collector can afford a top end chronometer, his eyesight is no longer good enough for him to read the subdials! Lot of truth in that.

Here's a couple of mine.

1960s Chronographe Suisse in 14K

1950s Lecoultre Futurematic (note the lack of a winding crown/stem)

Seamaster Pro in titanium/tantalum/rose gold (my daily wear watch.

·
Super Moderator
6,061 Posts
How old is the TAG, John?

The old saying in the watch collecting world is that by the time a collector can afford a top end chronometer, his eyesight is no longer good enough for him to read the subdials! Lot of truth in that.

Here's a couple of mine.
Nice. I have a collection of one!

It is actually not a TAG. I got it in 1984, the year before TAG bought Heuer.
I think it is their third generation of Carrera.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
80s makes sense - that shape of case was popular then.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
The tachometer dial is slick.

My daily. I have a late 60's Speedy Pro that's just too big for my wrist. I've considered getting a smart watch a few times, but I like not having to charge my watch. :) Marketing material says that the pattern on the rubber band is inspired by rain slicks or something. (I'd like one that has the RE71 pattern, but not enough to actually have one made.)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tachometer dial is slick.

My daily. I have a late 60's Speedy Pro that's just too big for my wrist. I've considered getting a smart watch a few times, but I like not having to charge my watch. :) Marketing material says that the pattern on the rubber band is inspired by rain slicks or something. (I'd like one that has the RE71 pattern, but not enough to actually have one made.)
Watches have grown a lot in the last few decades, even to the point of the ridiculous. My 1960s Omega Pie Pan Constellations were about 35 mm. The Seamaster Pro I posted above is 42mm and some of the modern watches (Panerai is the darling of the 'my watch is the same size as my peepee" group) go up to 60 mm - they look like wrist weights for exercising.

If you don't feel right wearing the one you have, you could always consider selling it for a replacement that suits you better.

Here are my Piepans - the 'beads of rice' bands on the two on the right are original and the one on the left has an aftermarket band.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I'm really happy with the Speedmaster Racing. It's a rational size, automatic, and has been pretty reliable.

The Pro mostly sits in a box. Of course I have to remember to wind it periodically to keep it from falling apart. Found it in a bowl with some other watches after my grandfather passed a few decades back. Apparently, whenever his watch had issues, he'd just buy another one. I guess it's the watch version of a garage queen. :)

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently, whenever his watch had issues, he'd just buy another one. I guess it's the watch version of a garage queen. :)
;)

I've seen people that attended watch get togethers, who when asked where they wear their watches, said that they never did, they were too valuable to use. You are right - same as a garage queen Ferrari that sits and just gets polished.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Yeah - I wouldn't do that to a car. If not for the sentimental value, I would've sold the watch a long time ago. Kind of like china plates and flatware - it just sits there. I like having it, but there's something sad about seeing a well-made device languishing rather than performing its intended purpose.

·
Registered
6,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think that our Kappa community includes a few garage queens with exceptionally low mileage on them. And remember all the posts from the owners of coupes that were swearing their cars with 100 miles on them were going to make thema mint when they sold them?

I agree that sort of thing is sad.

I've seen a similar thing in another hobby of mine, wine. One acquaintance, a bit of an idiot, saw that some wines 'won' the top 100 wines in Wine Spectator one year so they went out and bought a case.

Somehow the matter came up about 10 years later and we asked the guy how he'd enjoyed the Chardonnay he'd bought and he said he wasn't opening any of it, he was going to sell it when it went up enough in value to make him a bundle.

It almost felt like kicking a puppy when we showed him the current values of that wine online as it had peaked and was going down from there.

To quit a few people, the pride of ownership is greater than the joy of actually using an item.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
Somehow the matter came up about 10 years later and we asked the guy how he'd enjoyed the Chardonnay he'd bought
I tend to drink whatever I buy. :)

I didn't know a white would keep that long. But, then again, I've heard of champagne that lasts for decades. Shrug.

I'm not an expert by any stretch. As far as investments go, though, I'd probably go with Lex Luthor: "Land. It's the only thing they're not making any more of." (Airports aside.)

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Beautiful watches Bill. I generally use an iwatch day to day. However, when driving my “Mean Machine” I will often wear one of these.
Pictured going left to right two very scarce Solstice Skagan watches and one Opel GT watch that Redone07 found for me. All three are GM licensed.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,040 Posts
Got a new band for my iwatch. She is an Apple product from their website. The colour is “meyer lemon” and she is leather. Pretty darn close to MEAN.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts