Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear Diff Leak - woohoo another one! And now new diff needed too!

OK... so the plague has now struck mine. Driver side half of the rear diff is now wet.

I actually thought this would happen some day soon, so I asked my mechanic to clean up my diff a few months ago when doing an oil change, and this time found it was wet with a drip of fluid hanging there when checking this time.

So far I've only done the cleanup and see if it leaks check, nothing else. What should I check next? I've checked that it could be pinion seal, vent valve or the whole carrier. Is that the order I should check it in? Car already has pinion seal recall done back in 2008, so no warranty left whatsoever, extended warranty I got also expired end of last year.

Also what's the approximate cost for this repair?

·
Registered
263 Posts
I know mine is leaking slightly from the axle seals. you should be able to tell before you clean it based on what is the wettest part of the diff. Otherwise I'd drop it off to a trusted mechanic and have them find the leak.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
If you haven't had the vent tube TSB done, I would guess it's that. Mine looked like the seal on the driver's side. It was the vent tubing. It will only happen with very spirited driving.

Mechanic to Penguin -"Looks like you blew a seal!"
Penguin to Mechanic - "Naw, it's just a little ice cream"

^ My sick and twisted sense of humor....

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I'm thinking it could be that as well. Being an 06 pretty sure mine is still plastic, and there was no history on that being done.

I'll talk to my mechanic and see how much it would be. Really hope I don't need a carrier replacement, but right now no whining... that's a good sign.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Hope things workout for you, I also have an early 06 with the recall done.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK so my mechanic is a bit busy lately so I can't get it looked at yet. In the meantime I placed a piece of cardboard underside, no fluid when sitting. Though there IS a stain that looks like diff fluid but I can't tell on the ground. Possible I leaked all the fluid already?

Also notice that when the car is cold from overnight, it always makes this weird whirring noise when I'm slowing down to a stop for a stop sign at the same intersection, but I can't seem to notice the same noise anywhere else, or after I've been driving for some time. Is this the infamous diff whine?

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh the horror... I finally have one drop of diff fluid on the cardboard underneath. So I guess the pool I saw on the ground was diff fluid.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And the plot thickens, looks like the lack of fluid has caused sufficient damage and it is actually FUBAR.

Anyone know beside GMPartsDirect where I can get a diff for a good price? They quoted me $1748 shipped to NY for a new diff and 2 vent valves.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
And the plot thickens, looks like the lack of fluid has caused sufficient damage and it is actually FUBAR.

Anyone know beside GMPartsDirect where I can get a diff for a good price? They quoted me $1748 shipped to NY for a new diff and 2 vent valves.
I'm sorry to hear this. Call Tom at Crate Engine Depot, they are a forum supporter and usually have the best price, if you call them. You should be able to get the phone # from their web store.

If you trust the used market on an item like this, there are lots of places that part out totaled cars, and they have a pretty good network. Google and the internet are your friends here.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for that, just gave him a call, but I think he's on lunch.

Another question... does the diff unit come with one vent already so I just order one more, or do I need two vents?

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Thanks for that, just gave him a call, but I think he's on lunch.

Another question... does the diff unit come with one vent already so I just order one more, or do I need two vents?
Why would you need two vents? I would assume that the new diff would come with a vent already installed.

:dunno:

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/diff-vent-assy-74090/#post1108775

This bulletin. Apparently the diff itself has a vent (which mine is the plastic one which probably caused the fiasco), then you run a tube over it and finally another of the same vent at the end.
OK, I'm aware of this, and it was done on my first diff. My 2nd diff has never had it done and it doesn't leak at all.

That bulletin doesn't need to be done unless the diff is leaking at the vent, and if it is leaking, you will know about it.

I guess it won't hurt to do it regardless. YMMV.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm... I wonder if I can save some money and reuse the plastic vent from the broken diff to do the mod, if the diff comes with the metal one already... Since I somewhat doubt there's so much pressure on the second valve.

·
Registered
4,174 Posts
Just a suggestion:

I know I have 8yrs/100k on the powertrain directly from GM. But mine was a "Certified Used Car". So you might look into that!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just a suggestion:

I know I have 8yrs/100k on the powertrain directly from GM. But mine was a "Certified Used Car". So you might look into that!
Already did, before I went back to my mechanic I went to my dealer. 2006, so the 100k didn't start back then. Besides it would have expired back in 2011 as well.

·
Registered
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, so ordered new diff and 2 quarts of Redline 75W90 GL-5. And just checked my diff is getting wetter by day...

·
Registered
742 Posts
Rear weld joints rusting

Anyone to be worried about? Took it to my mechanic he recommended me to start doing rustproofing to slow it down. Something to do with our cars being hand built.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
The British Automobile folks around here who have a bunch of experience with rust,:yesnod: and I know it is not the GWN, use POR15. :thumbs:

YMMV

:cool:

·
Registered
245 Posts
Looks like surface rust.:( Most likely will continue to rust underneath any rust proofing unless it is completely removed. Best bet is to keep it away from road salt and water.:thumbs: Probably looks worse than it really is. :eek:

1 - 20 of 75 Posts