Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Eventually the chrome starts to peel and will create air leaks. I have to put 5-10lbs of air in mine every 3 days and there is nothing they can do for it.
Then send your wheels to a plating company (like MECLEC), and have the wheels dechromed. Then, you can have them powder-coated in any color/finish you like!

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Then send your wheels to a plating company (like MECLEC), and have the wheels dechromed. Then, you can have them powder-coated in any color/finish you like!
I looked into that...$200-$300/wheel. Many companies won't touch a chrome wheel because they say it'll just peel again within months of having it rechromed. There is a company here in Detroit that does whats called PVD coating, which is similar to chrome, but they won't redo mine, i have to "buy" new ones for $350/each and get a refund of $25/each when I send mine in...

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
I looked into that...$200-$300/wheel. Many companies won't touch a chrome wheel because they say it'll just peel again within months of having it rechromed. There is a company here in Detroit that does whats called PVD coating, which is similar to chrome, but they won't redo mine, i have to "buy" new ones for $350/each and get a refund of $25/each when I send mine in...
Is the problem that you don't like the stock wheels, or that they lose air? Of the 13 chrome wheels that i have, one has a slow leak in the bead, but the others are airtight with no peeling chrome. The most economic solution is to buy a replacement set of stock wheels, unless your main goal is to get something different, and painted or polished wheels would be a reasonable option if you want to have them powdercoated. At times HoosierGXP has had a surplus of them, so contacting him might be a good step.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Is the problem that you don't like the stock wheels, or that they lose air? Of the 13 chrome wheels that i have, one has a slow leak in the bead, but the others are airtight with no peeling chrome. The most economic solution is to buy a replacement set of stock wheels, unless your main goal is to get something different, and painted or polished wheels would be a reasonable option if you want to have them powdercoated. At times HoosierGXP has had a surplus of them, so contacting him might be a good step.
I don't mind the OE wheels.... In fact, I'd rather keep my OE wheels, but being in the car business, I've learned that rechroming or redoing factory wheels is "usually" nothing but issues. I had a set of wheels rechromed for my Mustang (under warranty) and they peeled that winter, even though they were taken off the car and stored properly with chrome polish in a climate controlled environment over the winter like the company told me to do. I had many customers that had their wheels redone, only to have them peel the next year. So I'm a bit of a skeptic about re-doing wheels....other then this PVD coating. I have found the 2 wheels I posted above that I really like...and it's taken me 3 years to find those!! It's like a tattoo....it's kinda permanent!! LOL. Thus I have no tats! Again...I don't mind the OE...but most are at least 12 years old now so it's just a matter of time before they start peeling too.

·
Registered
6,789 Posts
We have a really good local wheel company that reconditions just about any sort of wheel - I even entrusted them with my magnesium alloys off an Italian car and they managed not to drop them in the wrong tank. But there are lot of fly by night outfits too, that scrimp on the chrome and possibly on the prep.

Why don't you contact the local biker clubs and ask who they use. As a group, they tend not to deal with businesses that have a lot of come-backs.

There are some manufacturers that will not sell new cars with plated wheels in the salt belt (which I take it includes you). Jaguar, for instance, refuses to warranty wheels on a new car if it leaves the area where it was originally sold with plated wheels (a friend bought a new Jag in California and brought it to Canada and the wheels had issues about a year later. Jaguar Canada declined to warranty them).

I wonder if you could have your wheels tanked and stripped of chrome and then polished and sprayed with a sealant?

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Dude...wrong forum to be asking about Mercedes stuff...where's admin???

·
Registered
556 Posts
redrill the hubs& rotors. there I fixed it.!!! and you end up being able to still use oe wheels if ever desired, and the hubs will also be lighter. it will not weeken the hub. many hubs are full of holes. many racecars are like swiss cheezze, although there made form a better grade of swiss cheeze than our cars are made form. on another note I did tour a swiss cheeze factory a few years back...quite nice time there to see the cows walk by in the am then go to the cheeze shop up the hill to buy fresh cheeze ,yogurt& milk. I redrilled a set of vw drums for a friend to put model "A" wheels on his rat rod bug. most any machine shop can do it. ( dont let bubba down the street in the gas station do it, they need a mill and the right equipment,dro and brains to do so.)

21 - 28 of 28 Posts