Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I am new here and this is my first post. Looks like a great forum.

I am browsing the web for Solstice cars available in the Chicago area and was wondering as of which model does the Solstice come with ABS brakes and which models require Premiun fuel ?

Thanks for your help

Maarten

·
Registered
263 Posts
Both models are able to run on 87 but the gxp turbo model may knock ping a little on lower grade fuel. Most solstice have abs, I believe if they were to come without it, it would be a few base models. I would just clear it with the seller on whether or not it has abs or not. If you get the vin number, I can also look it up for you.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
One additional note to the above... if you find a turbo model (GXP) that has a factory or aftermarket tune, that will require 91 octane or better gas. So if you are looking for/at a GXP you should confirm if it has a tune or not. Note: the factory tune (AKA GMPP tune) came with a sticker that went on the gas filler door to indicate "Premium Fuel Only". But there's no guarantee that the sticker was applied :(

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
ABS (Antilock Brake System) was optional on the base model for 2006, 2007, and 2008. Standard on the base model in 2009.

It was Standard on all GXPs and all special edition models.

Check in the glove compartment for the label with the RPO codes. ABS was code JL9.

- - - - - - -

Premium fuel is recommended for all models, but required by almost all cars that have been tuned, both NA and GXP. If in doubt, ask the seller if the car has a "tune".

·
Registered
159 Posts
Tune or not, I think you will find the car happier with premium, irrespective of model.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi there!

The base model 2.4 has a relatively high static compression ratio, and while it can run on 87, premium is a better choice.

Depending on how much you drive the car, the price difference between regular and premium may not matter much.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,617 Posts
The following is a direct quote from the 2006 Owner's Manual for the Solstice (there were no 2006MY GXPs):

Gasoline Octane
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you may notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

·
Premium Member
961 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am in the Chicago land area also...

·
Premium Member
4,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great in-depth answers guys.

Tomorrow I am gonna check out VIN 1G2MG35X07Y142823. It is a GXP from late 2007. Can the VIN tell me when it was acctually built ? It has 40k miles and the price is 13500.

All comments are very welcome.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
I can get you exact build date if it can wait till tomorrow morning. Also, make sure if you want a/c that it has a/c. I believe it was only some of the '06 that didn't have a/c, but I can't remember.

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
If I am going to run a tank out on the interstate I'll dump in 87 octane. If I am going to the mountains I will put in 93 octane. Sometimes I will put in 89 octane. I've never noticed a ping yet.
You shouldn't switch octanes back and forth like that!

EDIT: A completely falst statement....go ahead and run different octanes.... you're not hurting anything as long as you're not lower octane then recommended.

·
Registered
256 Posts
In that case you definitely will have ABS, and I would not put anything less than premium in it. Forced induction, and the associated higher heat levels are not the best for regular.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
The following is a direct quote from the 2006 Owner's Manual for the Solstice (there were no 2006MY GXPs):

Gasoline Octane
Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. You may also use regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle’s acceleration may be slightly reduced, and you may notice a slight audible knocking noise, commonly referred to as spark knock. If the octane is less than 87, you may notice a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. If you are using gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher and you hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.
Great info. Sorry for my last post. lol. I'd have never thought a base sol recommended premium at that low hp rating for the engine/car. I don't own that car, but rather the GXP.

Still, what I said earlier still stands, use the lowest recommended octane what is in your owner's manual, which as seems quoted would mean premium even for the base.

·
Registered
643 Posts
You shouldn't switch octanes back and forth like that!
And why not? Making a statement like that without the facts to back it up, or the credentials that make you a combustion engine expert makes me wonder why you made a stating like that? Even the quote from the owners manual doesn't say find one octane and stick with it.

If you can enlighten me as to why, then I will thank you and stick with one octane.

·
Registered
263 Posts
It was invoiced on 6/15/2007 and delivered to the original owner on 12/11/2007.
Original dealer was Gillespie Pontiac in Chicago Il

·
Registered
4,942 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome and all the great in-depth answers guys.

Tomorrow I am gonna check out VIN 1G2MG35X07Y142823. It is a GXP from late 2007. Can the VIN tell me when it was acctually built ? It has 40k miles and the price is 13500.

All comments are very welcome.
Car was built 06/15/2007.

As far as my statement goes, if your car was designed to run on 87, you are wasting your money using anything other then 87. If your car (like mine) requires 93, anything less and you may burn a hole in a piston because of pre-ignition. There is a station by me that claims 93, but it's not... My car runs like garbage on his '93'. It used to be that your car "averaged" what fuel you used. I'll give the example. My mother had a Lincoln LS V8, required premium. I had over 100 Lincoln LS V8 in my loaner fleet. My mother used 89. Broke her car in on 89. The car was an absolute rocket! I could get rubber up to about 40mph in her car, with an automatic transmission. Something that couldn't be done in most of them. All were different. Some had great 0-30mph times, some were rockets from 30-70mph, but very few had great pull 0-70mph! I had one Lincoln LS V8 in my fleet that came (unbenounced to me) without cats on it. The CEL came on and it went for service. The car ran like a scalded cat on 87! They put cats on it, and if it wasn't filled with 93, it came back on the tow truck.... 6 times in 10,000 miles before it was pulled from my fleet for that reason. Customers would fill it with 87 and would get a block away from the gas station and it would die. All because the customer filled it with less then 93. Ask any mechanic about changing octanes....they will tell you NEVER do that! Run an occasional "next grade up" tankfull, but don't change back and fourth constantly.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.