Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Should Led Zep get ABS when he orders his Solstice?

• Yup.

Votes: 84 85.7%
  • Nope

Votes: 14 14.3%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi My name is Tim.

I just joined the forum last night (all though I have been following it since the Apprentice).

I wanted to get people's opinion on this..

I've had ABS on other cars but find it annoying. I learned to drive / brake in Winter conditions where you learn to steer into the skid without stomping on the brakes, I've found that when I use these skills with ABS I have lesse control (and the grinding brake pedal is not natural to me).

I notice that professional drivers do not use them either. That may be due to cost, increased weight or skill.. I'm not sure.

I've opted out of putting them on my solstice, but just wanted to see if others liked or disliked them.

Let me know what you think.

2006 Solstice.. hopefully. ;)

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
Led Zep said:
Hi My name is Tim.

I just joined the forum last night (all though I have been following it since the Apprentice).

I've had ABS on other cars but find it annoying. I learned to drive / brake in Winter conditions where you learn to steer into the skid without stomping on the brakes, I've found that when I use these skills with ABS I have lesse control (and the grinding brake pedal is not natural to me).

I notice that professional drivers do not use them either. That may be due to cost, increased weight or skill.. I'm not sure.

I've opted out of putting them on my solstice, but just wanted to see if others liked or disliked them.

Do yourself a favor and get them. If nothing else, they will help you in resale value down the road.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Led Zep said:
Hi My name is Tim.

If you are giong to race it at a track only. No ABS. Street car ABS. I am a retired police officer 26 yrs on the job ABS has save my a-- many times. You can still steer with brakes applied.Attended pursuit training every year. Thats my oppinion. Also train with both.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Welcome, Tim. I opted for them. Someone out there I'm sure knows for sure, so please correct me, but I believe one advantage is they'll give you a shorter stopping distance in a panic stop, if the brakes start locking-up. That few feet you save could save you.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Never pump the brakes on an ABS equiped car...defeats the whole purpose of ABS. Up here in Minnesota I won't buy a car without them, though it took me awhile to learn how to properly use them. On snow and ice they are a must (this from a guy who used to ice race Saab's). With ABS you apply firm and constant pressure. This allows you to avoid the rear-end swinging around and more importantly allows you to keep stearing control. Unlikely they will decrease stopping distance but they really help you keep control of the car. If you are ever in a big empty snowy/slippery parking lot practice driving with them. 25 years of driving experiance on slippery roads made me a master of the controled spin and pumping brakes but I'd never go back after buying my first ABS equiped car.

If you live in AZ or some other perfect weater state can't say if you need 'em.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Tim.

I agree with the others here...ABS is the way to go if you plan on doing most of your driving on the street.

I also think it helps with your insurance rates.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Welcome Tim,
I have had ABS keep me out of trouble many times on wet or icy roads. My Miata doesn't have ABS but my S-10 pickup does. My choice is definitely for ABS. It really does work and it's a plus on your insurance premium. Keep posting, it's good to have newbies join in. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
As you can see in my signature I opted not to buy them.

First reason is that I will never drive in winter.
Second reason is I hate them. I feel totally out of control on ice, snow freezing rain, etc. Never got used to it in my 37 years of driving experience and only tried it on 2 cars.

I guess it is a personal thing with me.

·
Registered
265 Posts
something else to think about.. will anyone else ever drive the car? do they know how to handle it correctly with or without abs?

i've had abs on my last 4 cars and won't ever get another without it.

oh.. another point for ABS, cheaper insurance rates :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
scottjl said:
something else to think about.. will anyone else ever drive the car? do they know how to handle it correctly with or without abs?

i've had abs on my last 4 cars and won't ever get another without it.
Nobody will drive my SOL :)
Maybe I let my son (26) drive it the odd time and he is used to old cars with no ABS. LOL. :lol:

I just don't like ABS and they are harder to maintain/repair also.

But as I said before, it is my personal choice.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't really understand the argument that they are harder to repair/maintain? There is no maintenance involved with ABS specifically...just routine brake maintenance that would be required regardless if the car has ABS or not.

As far as repairs, I guess technically the ABS pump could go on the fritz and have to be replaced, but I would say the odds of that happening are remote (unless you have an Acura Legend...my friend has three and the ABS pump has gone out on all three at low mileage due to a bad design). And, if the system should fail or quit working, it doesn't affect the brakes other than it wouldn't activate the ABS...you would just have to stop the good ole' fashioned way by modulating the pedal.

Not trying to deny your right to choose not to put ABS on your car...just not sure those are valid reasons?

·
Registered
65 Posts
C5Vette said:
As far as repairs, I guess technically the ABS pump could go on the fritz and have to be replaced, but I would say the odds of that happening are remote.

Not trying to deny your right to choose not to put ABS on your car...just not sure those are valid reasons?
I do not claim t be an expert and I do not know the exact design of the Solstice ABS system, but from my experience there are quite a few mechanical parts that are different on other cars with haveng additional tooth wheels, etc., which add to the cost of replacement parts.

I am sure somebody on the forum has the details what the exact differences in parts are on the Solstice (with and without ABS).

·
Registered
397 Posts
If ABS were allowed on my race car, I'd have it! Having the advantage of diving into a turn as deep as you can without any lockup would be wonderful. I know Corvette road racers that use ABS, it just takes a different technique when entering a corner, but it's faster than a human brain...no doubt about that.

On the street, definately! Saved me several times from a spin. I was ina demonstration where we drove a car with the ABS turned off onto a piece of asphalt that was wet on one side and dry on the other. The instructor had me mash the brakes and keep the wheel straight at 40 mph which resulted in 6 SPINS before stopping!!!. Turned on the ABS in the test car and repeated...no drama whatsoever, just the familar noise and pedal feddback.

I'm probably coming off as pretty adamant about the benefits of ABS, but that's only cause I am and have been trying to sway internet forum users as long as I have been discussing it. I'm being this way for your own good! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
No ABS on mine. I have them in my truck and the censors have problems and then kick in all the time at 5 mph. I disconneted them and I drive in the winter no problem. A friend of mine had his repair and cost him $1800.
Been with out them for over 30 years on all my Porformance cars and I just dont wont them on this one.

Just my preference.

·
Registered
215 Posts
If you drive at safe posted speeds, drive defensively and aren't daydreaming about you best girlfiend, then you should be able to come to a stop without locking them up. The abs are great for panic stops but shame on you for putting yourself in the position to need them

·
Registered
119 Posts
solkool said:
If you drive at safe posted speeds, drive defensively and aren't daydreaming about you best girlfiend, then you should be able to come to a stop without locking them up. The abs are great for panic stops but shame on you for putting yourself in the position to need them
A good man knows his limitations. ABS for me. ;)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Abs.......yes!

Led Zep said:
I've opted out of putting them on my solstice, but just wanted to see if others liked or disliked them. Let me know what you think.
1. Welcome Tim
2. Pay the $600 for ABS
3. Enjoy the Forum

:yawn:

·
Registered
81 Posts
It'll eventually pay for itself in insurance discounts. ABS is generally one of the bigger discounts you can get. Right after a multicar, airbags, and a good driving record...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Grew up driving n N. Wisconsin, lots of ice and snow, pretty dang good at stopping in anything. But there comes a time when nothing you do seems to stop the car and you're headed for trouble. Been there (one time in particular headed for a barbed wire fence...not pretty). There's no way your feet can manage the on-and-off speed that your ABS system will pump your brakes. They are more effective at getting your vehicle stopped in a straight-line braking situation, and even more so when needing to stop while turning. Get the ABS.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts