Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I have searched and read through a few threads concerning the topic, but with no resolution. My compressor is not working when I turn on the AC, you can see the pulley turning, but the clutch is not. I have checked my relay and fuse, both are fine. From underneath the car, I managed to unclip the harness and check the voltage going to the clutch. With the AC on, the clutch is getting about 14.6 volts. What I have not been able to do is apply 12 volts to the clutch because I can barely fit my hand in there, but I do not think it is necessary now since I know it is getting power.

Is there a definitive way to determine if just the clutch is bad or the compressor as well?

As of yet, I have not been able to locate one, but do you know of a place that sells just the clutch?

Can the clutch be replaced with the compressor still in the car, or at least the lines still attached? Any special tools required?

Thank you in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Can be replaced while on car, but check freon pressure first. Low will prevent clutch from engaging.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the pressure with the system at rest since the compressor wouldn't kick on. At this point the hi and low side should be about the same pressure. When I put a gauge on the low side, I don't remember the exact number, but it was over 70 psi. If the pressure was either too low or too high, the computer wouldn't allow the clutch to engage, there should not be any voltage at the clutch then, right? The fact that I am getting power to the clutch makes me think the pressure is good and I have refrigerant in the system, but either the compressor is seized up or the clutch quit. Is there something I am missing?

·
Super Moderator
16,388 Posts
Do a recalibrate on the HVAC controls. Its easy and quick and eliminates one more potential issue.

Mine has stopped twice. Both times it was due to coolant pressure dropping below minimums. The BCM will not engage the clutch unless there is enough pressure in the system. I do not know what the minimum pressure is however.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rob, I found this in the A/C Intermittent Failure thread, is this the recalibration you're talking about:

Actuator Recalibration

When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2. Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3. Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4. Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5. Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6. Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.
Please correct me if I am wrong, I would like to give the correct recalibration a shot.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gave the recalibration a try, but no luck. With the AC on or off it was still blowing the same temperature air and I could not see the clutch spinning with the pulley.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
Also check that your radiator fan is working... per another current thread, if the fan is not working the CM does not allow the A/C to engage.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip. I will check later if the fan kicks on when I turn the AC on and if it doesn't I will let the car idle for awhile at operating temperature to make sure the fan is cycling on. Is there another way to check?

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
I believe the module energizes the compressor clutch by grounding the circuit. There is always voltage to the clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will have to check again, but I don't remember there being a voltage at the clutch when the AC wasn't turned on.

·
Registered
7,149 Posts
I believe the module energizes the compressor clutch by grounding the circuit. There is always voltage to the clutch.
According to the schematic I have, the clutch is switch-powered (always grounded). Not switch-grounded.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
You're right TS, checked the schematic after I posted. If he has voltage and a good ground to the clutch and it doesn't work, it is bad. Could prove by pulling AC Clutch relay and use a jumper to provide 12V to the circuit. Any good AC shop should be able to supply a replacement clutch.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the help so far guys. Little update, the fan cycles on and off in normal operation. Just couldn't tell at the time I checked if it comes on with AC on, since it was after my ride to work and the engine was already at operating temperature and idling.

I suppose now I will call around and see if any GM dealers will sell a clutch or if any of my local shops carry it. I haven't been able to find them online.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
That's what I would have done. made a jumper and tested the clutch. you don't even have to have the car running to test it. I had a car I was trading in and the clutch would not engage and I stuck a screw in there and it just stayed on all the time. you do what you gotta do.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I was unable to find a new AC clutch, and to do the job the compressor would have to come out anyway so I went ahead and ordered a new ACDelco compressor. The part arrived this past Saturday. Now I am just waiting for a few good days where thunderstorms aren't predicted so I can take my motorcycle to work and drop the car off at my local mechanic.
Thank you for all the advice!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
chickenwire, it was about $251 shipped from RockAuto. It wasn't a bad price after checking a few places, and cheaper than my local mechanic would get from his supplier. Otherwise check with your local dealers as well, I know for a bumper, the price I got from a former Pontiac, now a Buick/GMC dealer, was cheaper than anywhere else I could get one.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts