Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

My ac compressor died and its making a lot of noise. I was wondering if it's possible to get a smaller belt and bypass the ac compressor pulley.

Thanks,

Vroompsh

·
Registered
45 Posts
I wonder if this is a common issue with our cars as my A/C is still working at the moment but, my compressor is also making alot of noise. She only has 35000 miles on her.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine has about the same mileage aswell. Do you know if the GXP's came without ac from factory?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tried calling part source and they said they did come without ac. I'll probably just buy the non-ac serpentine belt and bypass the ac.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Rob. For now I bought a non ac belt and installed it and bypassed the compressor pulley.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seems like those threads were when the ac was turned on. Mine was making a very loud noise even if I had the ac off.

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
That sounds like a bearing. When its turned off, the clutch is dissengaged so the compressor is not spinning. Only the pully / clutch is spinning. Take a look at getting a new or rebuilt pully/clutch and see if that solves your problem

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey Rob I appreciate the links. After using an AC Gauge Set and watching YouTube AC vids, it appears my compressor is dead. Pressure is about equal on both high and low pressure sides which according to the diagnostics videos means compressor replacement. Anyway I was wondering if you had seen any info on here for replacing it? I found some discussion on clutch replacement but not whole compressor.

Have you seen anything?

·
Super Moderator
16,390 Posts
I have not but I have removed the AC compressor on my car and its just like pulling the alternator. Take it to an AC shop and have them pull the refrigerant out. They will store it for you. Then go home and remove the failed AC compressor and install the replacement unit. Once its in place, go back to the AC shop and have them refill your system. They will "give" you the equivalent poundage that they removed and make sure the system is charged to the proper level. They can also check for any leaks and if there are any fix them. Then you are good to go.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts