Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I've driven I have not had to use my AC yet in the AZ heat. Yesterday I decided to pop it on and nothing but hot air came out. :brentil: Thinking since its never been used in over a year, I though I would need a recharge. But as I "you tube" to figure out how to do it I noticed my compressor wheel is spinning on the belt but the inner wheel was not. No sounds, rattles or kick overs like it is engaging the AC.

My question is, which fuses are there to check, any lines in hidden areas to look at, overall what can I look at first before pulling the compressor and replacing? It's an 09 not being used for ac since before 10/2010 so I find it hard to believe it just went out. No DTC's that I've seen.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,570 Posts
I had some trouble with the 06 last summer.
I would do the reprogram on the control unit and it would sometimes start to work again. Knowing the compressor was not the issue. I finally ended up finding a bad connection in one of the plugs in the harness leading to the compressor. Cleaned up the contacts and sprayed it with contact goop. Still working so far.

·
Vendor
1,394 Posts
Since I've driven I have not had to use my AC yet in the AZ heat. Yesterday I decided to pop it on and nothing but hot air came out. :brentil: Thinking since its never been used in over a year, I though I would need a recharge. But as I "you tube" to figure out how to do it I noticed my compressor wheel is spinning on the belt but the inner wheel was not. No sounds, rattles or kick overs like it is engaging the AC.

My question is, which fuses are there to check, any lines in hidden areas to look at, overall what can I look at first before pulling the compressor and replacing? It's an 09 not being used for ac since before 10/2010 so I find it hard to believe it just went out. No DTC's that I've seen.

Thanks.
The reset of the climate control is a good suggestion to try, it doesn't cost anything but a little time and may be the issue.

From what you described though, it doesn't sound like the compressor is even turning on, which means I would check the fuse and relay for the compressor to make sure they are good. The A/C clutch relay is #15 under the hood and the fuse for the A/C is #22.

The other thing would be to check the pressure in the system. If there is a leak for some reason and the pressure is low, there is a pressure switch that will sense the low pressure and not turn on the compressor.

Hope that helps,
Dave

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both. I tried the reset on the controls, run,right right, left, press and hold the two buttons and wait for cycle to complete. No luck there. I will check the fuses, connections I can see and pressure tonight.

Please be that easy...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Mine won't come on unless the fan switch is turned up at least 1 click.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bumping up

I am back to fix this issue. 102 degrees today

Checked fuses 15 & 22, ok
Checked refrigerant, ok
Disconnected intercooler pipe and disconnected line to compressor. Everything looked clean and reattached all, seemed ok.
Tried the recalibration.

Any other thoughts? Where is the presure switch? Can I check the compressor without taking out? COuld it be the control box in the dash? or bite the bullet and take it in?

Thanks...

·
Premium Member
309 Posts

There's the pressure sensor.

The compressor should have a 2 wire connector near the clutch. Disconnect that and test each wire for 12V when calling for AC. If 0, the relay or it's ground are bad. If +, run a B+ jumper to the compressor terminal it would attach to and ground the other terminal. That should activate the clutch- you'll hear it, you don't need the car running to do that.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'd try to jump the pressure switch first. You don't have to worry about getting a test light or dvom in the belt that way. Use a paper clip to jump across the pressure switch connector. If it turns on you need a switch. If not try the other one. Or both at the same time. That's the hack inside of me from my days at the auto parts store.

Then if both those didn't work I would test for 12volts at the clutch.

If it has 12 volts your clutch is toast.

I've still got a ac compressor and clutch I'd sell you for cheap.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll bite, paperclip across the switch and sensor? Sorry, expalin a bit more.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so there was nothing special about this fix except me. I youtube'd the paperclip and figured what the heck I'll give it a shot. I pulled the #15 fuse and insert the paperclip into slot 30 and 87 of the fuse. This makes the line hot to the clutch to the a/c. Nothing!!! Looking at the fuse setting, there were 5 slots but the fuse only has 4.???? I then looked at the picture and........ the fuse was in the wrong slot. Yep, wrong slot!!! I paperclipped the #15 (actual) slot and it kicked over. Really low on freon but that was a simple fix.

Cool air in 110 degree heat. I'm happy again. Thanks bdt00buckshot.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Sorry I didn't swing back through. I was talking about putting a paper clip across the connector for the pressure switch. But sounds like the Big Guy upstairs lead you to the right spot. Glad it's working in this heat!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
same problem

Sounds like i am having the same issue..... it was working one day, and now Nothing........ when i turn on the ac, there is a noise that sounds like a motor running......

If i turn on the a/c, and the car is going...(moving). i have cool air coming in to the cock pit... if im just at a stop light, no air....

I would love to get this fixed... Is there a Haynes manual, or a chiltons for this vehicle????

I have yet to find one...........

I will check the previous suggestions..............

Any new information or different information would be greatly appreciated...

On a side note... I have damage to the underside of the front end....... (parking block) i am wondering if i loosened something when the car was backed off the parking block...

·
Registered
1 Posts
ac compressor not staying on...

The compressor keep going on for a short wile then off for a bit...on then off then on then off...It doesn`t stay on long enough to make cold air...Refrigerant is OK.....

·
Registered
4 Posts

There's the pressure sensor.

The compressor should have a 2 wire connector near the clutch. Disconnect that and test each wire for 12V when calling for AC. If 0, the relay or it's ground are bad. If +, run a B+ jumper to the compressor terminal it would attach to and ground the other terminal. That should activate the clutch- you'll hear it, you don't need the car running to do that.

Let me know what you find.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried the paper clip and the compressor worked with cold AC but a few seconds later something popped and the freon pressure was released. What damage did I cause now.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I tried the paper clip and the compressor worked with cold AC but a few seconds later something popped and the freon pressure was released. What damage did I cause now.
the compressor usual has a relief valve to prevent overpressurizing the system, apparently an over-pressure event happened.

one thing that can cause that is too much freon in the system which raises the head pressure, another is the clutch relay switch sticking. and there may be other causes. usually the relief popping saves from causing any damage.

Bill

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thank you bill. I installed an expansion valve, accumulator drier and pressure switch. I couldn’t get the 3rd screw to install a new compressor w/ clutch, so I gave up. I vacuumed out the ac unit and tried to fill the unit with Freon and it took a new can, but when I jumped the relay something happened and the pressure released some freon again. Then, I check the connector (3 wire connector)to the pressure switch with a12 volt tester and the car shut off. Like if it has a short. Don’t know what else to try. Thank you for helping me out.

·
Super Moderator
7,146 Posts
The HVAC system does not have a pressure switch, it has an analog pressure sensor that uses the ECM's 5V and 0V references. Using a test light on either of those references could easily disrupt the ECM, shutting off the engine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts