Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My AC doesn't work, and it appears that the compressor pulley shaft is slightly bent, leading to obnoxious squealing and vibration, among other things. I don't want to completely rip out the AC as I live in Texas, and it'll come in handy next year. I also don't want to spend $$$$ for a new compressor at the moment as I won't need it for several months (barring a February heat wave which happens every now and then).

I'd like to just swap out the belt that drives the alternator and compressor with one that just drives the alternator, and I seem to recall that there was a factory AC delete option which would presumably require a shorter belt that would fit my purposes.

Does anyone have a part number, length or other specification that I could use to get one of these? My other option is to wrap a piece of string around the crank pulley, under the tensioner, over the alternator pulley and back to the crank to get the length and then get a generic belt from the local AutoNapa. However, if anyone has a better approach, I would love to hear it.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind: looks like the part numbers are (from eBay and this helpful thread)

GM Part#24466976
Alt # 12634322
Dayco part number GB 20-9517 5PK0880.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On the off chance humans from the Future will find this useful: the shorter belt fits perfectly, and happily clears the AC compressor without having to remove it. And, every rattle, shake and clacking sound I was hearing has disappeared. It sounds like a new car. 8D

(There's no performance advantage to doing this as the compressor doesn't consume any significant torque when the clutch is disengaged.)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts