Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone else has this occur:

When you turn off the AC, but leave the recycled air turned on, does your AC really turn off, or is it still on?

It seems to me that if the recycled air is on, my AC is still on.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Yep, the compressor still cycles. The only reason I can think of is to ensure the seals in the A/C system don't dry up in the winter because oil isn't circulating through the system. This way, every time you run it in recirc, the A/C compressor runs. It probably runs in defrost no matter what as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ac

JoePA96 said:
I was wondering if anyone else has this occur:

When you turn off the AC, but leave the recycled air turned on, does your AC really turn off, or is it still on?

It seems to me that if the recycled air is on, my AC is still on.
What I've noticed is that whatever mode you were in ie... Heat/AC, if you turn off the fan it appears to switch to vent which inturn seems to continue blowing when the vehical is moving. To entirely turn off, I must turn the director to dash vents then close the dash vents.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Most cars cycle the a/c if you are in a windshield mode, but it shouldn't if you have it to vent. What happens if you turn the recycle off?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
If you turn off recirc, the a/c compressor doesn't cycle. I noticed a small puddle under my car in one of the parking lots during the West Coast Meet. Upon closer observation, I realized that it was just water, but what confused me was that I hadn't been running my A/C or defrost. I had been running the heat in recirc because it seems to force more air out the vents that way. That's when someone else informed me that the compressor cycles in recirc. If you listen for it, you can hear it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I think this answers my question. When I use the AC, it is certainly cooler than when it is off. I didn't realize the compressor stayed on when you turn off AC.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
JoePA96 said:
I think this answers my question. When I use the AC, it is certainly cooler than when it is off.
This is quite serious. I think a APB needs to be put out on this. Let GM know!

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
It makes sense, reclycle is really designed for a closed car, and using the cabins air. Without the a/c running ocassionally the windows would cloud up from the moisture in our breaths. Car as small as the sol it could happen quickly depending on the cercumstances.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts