Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am just debateing weather to get ac on my solstice. it will be a summer/ no snow car. so if you can put the top down i will. so do i need ac?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I'll have the top down unless it's raining. I'm going with A/C anyway tho, because if it is raining and hot, I don't want to suffer. Defrost also works much more effectively with a/c... and finally, resale will be alot easier with a/c.

I say go for it, unless it's a $1,500 option. At that price point, I might even reconsider.

·
4,592 Posts
most regions need AC due to heat or humidity, but not all.

Many buyers will not like the idea of buying your used Sol should you ever sell and not have AC.

I live in the desert of so cal, and hated every car I didn't have AC in, never again. Try Lousiana in July without AC, hahaha, HUMIDITY BIG TIME, yeeooww :lol:

Get AC is my advice!

·
Registered
338 Posts
2KWK4U said:
I'll have the top down unless it's raining. I'm going with A/C anyway tho, because if it is raining and hot, I don't want to suffer. Defrost also works much more effectively with a/c... and finally, resale will be alot easier with a/c.

I say go for it, unless it's a $1,500 option. At that price point, I might even reconsider.

A/C should run the std. GM price of $700-800, ($895 credit on trucks,)whatever it runs on a Cavalier. Same motor family, should be same price. BTW,why does A/C still cost the same? If anybody could share that, 'cuz nobody at GM has an answer. It's been around $1000 decades. :cuss:

Pick it up in a package, might be a discount. Maybe find out on Weds., at least when pricing comes online.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
There's also those days when you might want to take it out somewhere nice and it's always good to have A/C if you're wearing nice clothes ... especially for something formal like a wedding or something. I'm sure some of the females out there aren't always in a top-down mood also depending on their hairstyle. Of course, for me, it's a no-brainer. I'm in Florida, so I have the top down in "winter" (haha) more than the summer, when it gets so damned hot you have to keep the top up and the A/C on if you don't want to arrive drenched in sweat.

·
5,600 Posts
You can live without AC. But if money is no object, you will be better off with it available.

·
4,592 Posts
jimbo said:
You can live without AC. But if money is no object, you will be better off with it available.
easy for you to say living in San Fran :lol:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Unless you live in the Artic Circle or you plan on keeping the car until the wheels fall off in which case resale won't matter but if not get the air. :cool:

slowandlow said:
i am just debateing weather to get ac on my solstice. it will be a summer/ no snow car. so if you can put the top down i will. so do i need ac?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Your dealer will want A/C installed if only for resale value. It's tough selling a car without. But if your like me and live in north you have to justify the $800 expense virsus the limited need. Summer comes, the top will be down!

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dls6774 said:
I'm sensing a trend here... :lol:
You're quick :lol: Check a dealer lot and I bet you won't find 10-25% of new cars without a/c. Now few are droptops but I can't recall seeing a Sebring or Eclipse convertible anywhere without it. Resale IS the key if you don't think you want it yourself. Just remember to turn it on every few months to keep it operating properly.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well i live in detroit. it will all depend on the price. i will be getting the power,conviance and premoun packages. along with limited slip. also floor mats. and eather in black or blue

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
PAS22 said:
Your dealer will want A/C installed if only for resale value. It's tough selling a car without. But if your like me and live in north you have to justify the $800 expense virsus the limited need. Summer comes, the top will be down!
I talked to the guy I pre-ordered my Solstice from about this because it came up when we were talking about he didn't care if I wanted it or not because he knew it would sell. AC is something a dealer can order and have installed even if I don't if it comes down to that being a selling point.

However for your concerns slowandlow, when it comes time to trade in the Solstice or sell it, having AC will make it a lot easier to sell, and you'll get more for it.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
slowandlow said:
well i live in detroit. it will all depend on the price. i will be getting the power,conviance and premoun packages. along with limited slip. also floor mats. and eather in black or blue
Unfortunately one of those options might "require" AC. However itdoesn't say anything on the dealerworld info saying that though. I know my ZX2 required that AC be selected as an option before you could get the Sunroof. It's retarded sometimes.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
brentil said:
Unfortunately one of those options might "require" AC. However itdoesn't say anything on the dealerworld info saying that though. I know my ZX2 required that AC be selected as an option before you could get the Sunroof. It's retarded sometimes.
When they do that it is mostly a marketing ploy. Last time anything was actually needed (not required) for adding a/c to a car was a higher output alternator and higher cca battery to go with it. Most cars today don't even offer a different alt. High enough output for all configs is usually standard.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts