Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

AC Vent Failures

7K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
After 8 months of Solstice ownership I finally have my first complaint. what's up with these dang AC vents? when I drove the loaner home before I got my 06 it was missing both louvers on one of the vents. about 2 months ago, I went to adjust a vent on the 06 and the top louver broke on 1 side so it doesn't move and yesterday on the 08 my right passenger vent is stuck and will only open a little bit. I haven't had a chance to look in there and see what's stuck but 3 out of 3 Solstices I've sat behind the wheel have failures?? anyone else have problems and do they sell replacement parts and are they a PITA to repair? I've seen a couple online for sale that had them missing.

#2 ·
I think the problem may be the item behind the vents (and behind the wheel) :)

Seriously, I have heard of a couple of people breaking them while manhandling. But never (that I can recall) of breakages under 'normal use'.

#3 ·
I believe those will "pop out" as an assembly. Most of those use a "peg and cam" or a linkage between the louvers. The one that is stuck is likely bound. The ones that are "broke" may just be popped apart - may have a peg broken off.

You may be able to drill a hole and insert a pin if it's a broken peg. Otherwise you'll likely be replacing the whole unit.

Does anyone know if these are common across a couple of GM platforms? I would suspect that they are.

#4 ·
Oh, there's a problem behind the wheel alright.

The one that is broke has a broken pin on 1 side but there's a little arm it attaches too. I was able to wedge it back in there and we just don't move that one but eventually it will get hit or pop loose and I'm scared it will fall into the duct. so does the chrome ring just pop out and then the vent from there or what? I'd like to know before I break out my screwdrivers.

#11 ·
What am I, chopped liver? I already responded with the info, part number and list of sites/prices, and get nothing!

Humppph.

See:
#3 on that image. Flaps and tube are all one assembly. (#4 is the chrome trim ring, #2 is the foam seal))

Expensive though, you're right. Range from $43 and up (plus S&H): GM 15824746 Outlet - GM genuine OEM part

#7 ·
The vent cap is removable. BUT do NOT pull on the vanes. You need to open the vent fully and insert two fingers and apply outward pressure (left and right) against the barrel of the vent body. The tube not the vanes. Then pull away from the dash toward you body. The entire assembly will pop out of the dash. The tube is a friction fit. There is a layer of foam around the tube which will provide considerable resistance but that will pop out.

Once you have the vent assembly out of the dash, you can look at the back side. There is a link between the top vanes and the lower vanes. If you pull on the vanes instead of the body of the vent, the linkeage will break and you will have to replace the unit.

The vent inserts are replacable and spared in the GM system. I bought 2 replacements when I improperly pulled on the vanes and broke the link. :brentil:

Attachments

#8 ·
I hate that no one has a photo of the thing. I'd hate to burn 50 bucks for it not to be it. at least knowing there should be a replacement out there allows me to take a chance on a Charlie fix which could render it completely FUBAR'd :) I'll keep you guys posted.

#9 ·
Looks like we responded at the same time there. Once again THA man comes thru. Thanks Rob. so do you know what the louvers or vanes are actually called and do you have a part number handy? I know I need 1 set for sure and if they are not that expensive, I'll buy a couple as the one on the 08 may break on my opening attempt.

#10 ·
I checked the drawing on GMparts giant. Call Tom at Crate Engine Depot and ask him for his best price and he will ship you a new one. It comes as an assembly. The tube with the vanes attached. The trim rings may not come with it. I cannot remember if they did when I ordered mine.

003 **824746

OUTLET,I/P CTR & OTR AIR(PART OF 7,33)(INCLS 2,4)(EBONY) $44.68

#13 · (Edited)
No Soup ( Marshal, Shady, Chopliver), you got to the cheese first. the way Rob was going I thought maybe you could buy the guts to it but it's the same as what you listed. Looks like super glue, jb weld and a paperclip in my future. Thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.