Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did anyone at the Detroit party test the AC? I'd like to know if it will keep me comfortable in the +90 degree/+90% humidity we have down here in the "dog-days-of-Summer". Would need a pretty good fan even with the top down at road speed.

"It ain't the heat, it's the humidity!" Ever hear anyone complain about the humidity when it's only 40 degrees. "It's the heat and the humidity!" :lol:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
The second drive I went on was in a Solstice that had the ac running. The top was down and the ac was not even at top speed and the drive was comfortable. I'm certain the car would have been cold had the top been up and the fan at full speed. I don't think keeping comfortable in this car will be a problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ex-Miata Man said:
The second drive I went on was in a Solstice that had the ac running. The top was down and the ac was not even at top speed and the drive was comfortable. I'm certain the car would have been cold had the top been up and the fan at full speed. I don't think keeping comfortable in this car will be a problem.
:thumbs:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
Sydney,
I tried to post a few minutes ago but for some reason it didn't go through. I drove a Solstice in Detroit that had the AC running. The top was down in the car and the fan speed was set somewhere in the middle of it's range. The drive I took was very comfortable. Had the top been up and the windows up, I would have probably been cold in the car. I don't think we will have any problems being comfortable in our Sosltices.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
993 Posts
Guess it did go through... :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Interesting concept-- top down and AC on.

A bit like opening patio door to cool off the backyard. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fortyninenorth said:
Interesting concept-- top down and AC on.

A bit like opening patio door to cool off the backyard. :lol:
Fortyninenorth,
Obviously you need to come down south of the 49th. :lol: Doesn't cost anymore to use the AC with the top down than with it up. ;) I'll make a wager you guys up there will be driving top down with the heat on. :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
Top down and AC running is quite common in my area. The local term for this is "California Crusing." In the fall a similar event occurs where the top is down and the heater is running. Actually if the AC or the heater is run with the air directed to the leg area of the compartment, it is drawn up over the front of the driver and passanger and is quite comfortable. In western PA we have to extend the top down weather in any way possible. :lol:
 
G

·
Fortyninenorth said:
Interesting concept-- top down and AC on.

A bit like opening patio door to cool off the backyard. :lol:
Top down and A/C on is the ONLY way to drive in 100+ degree temps? :lol:

Now I will just need either sunscreen, or a hat so that I don't burn my shaved head.
 
G

·
Ex-Miata Man said:
Top down and AC running is quite common in my area. The local term for this is "California Crusing." In the fall a similar event occurs where the top is down and the heater is running. Actually if the AC or the heater is run with the air directed to the leg area of the compartment, it is drawn up over the front of the driver and passanger and is quite comfortable. In western PA we have to extend the top down weather in any way possible. :lol:

I plan on running top down and heater on in the winter too. Maybe not the mornings, but definitely the afternoons when it warms up to the 50s. I figure that I should be able to go top down almost every single month of the year by running top down and heat or A/C on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
I plan on running top down and heater on in the winter too. Maybe not the mornings, but definitely the afternoons when it warms up to the 50s. I figure that I should be able to go top down almost every single month of the year by running top down and heat or A/C on.
No doubt. It's almost do-able even without the heater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
I never considered 'top down / AC on', but if you guys say it works :thumbs:


..never had a 'vert before.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
The big difference is the AC costs money to run, while the heat is a free byproduct of running the engine.

Either would work better with a tonneau cover open on the driver's side only.
 
G

·
Fortyninenorth said:
The big difference is the AC costs money to run, while the heat is a free byproduct of running the engine.

Either would work better with a tonneau cover open on the driver's side only.
I had not thought of that. Now THAT could make things real nice year round. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
MAKsys said:
I never considered 'top down / AC on', but if you guys say it works :thumbs:


..never had a 'vert before.
I HAVE HAD AT LEAST ONE OPEN TOP CAR FOR THE LAST
FORTY YEARS AND ALWAYS USE THE AIR OR HEAT
SO THE TOPS ARE EITHER OPEN OR DOWN.
RAIN IS A PAIN SO A/C IS GREAT WHEN U NEED IT
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Sydney said:
Fortyninenorth,
Obviously you need to come down south of the 49th. :lol: Doesn't cost anymore to use the AC with the top down than with it up. ;) I'll make a wager you guys up there will be driving top down with the heat on. :)
Sydney what's it like in Kentucky in mid November, 'cause that's about as early as my car is likely to show. And that isn't usually top down weather here. Might have to head South. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
The A/C on at the Detroit drive was noticably cold, even at speed with the top down, but sunscreen is still needed and perhaps a hat.

Heater on with the top down in cold weather is an old trick that works well. Im just disappointed that heated seats were not an option. I know, I know...extra weight and manufacturing cost made that undesirable. But, heated seats have kept me comfortable exposed to some very cold air, and are a nice luxury on chilly mornings when it takes a few minutes for the heater to warm up. Would have been nice to have.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Take it from a former Jeep Wrangler owner...sunscreen is a must...drove that thing from K.I. Sawyer AFB, in the upper pennsula of MI all the way down to Shaw AFB, in SC...I was a brighter shade of red than the Jeep by the time I got there!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
141 Posts
I've owned convertibles since 1971. I almost never use the air conditioning (either top up or top down), but I've certainly used the heat with the top down. I think that it's morally reprehensible to turn on the AC when the top is down. I do turn on the AC to clear the windshield when it's raining.

If you think it's hot sitting in a convertible with the top down, you should try getting stuck in traffic on a motorcycle while wearing a full-face helmet.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top